UK V2 Hub not communicating with Hue devices (June 2023)

Thank you all for the info shared, I created a report about this issue and sent it to the team.
Once we get more info, we’ll let you know.

3 Likes

Another here with same issue.

I deleted all the hue lights and reinstalled them which fixed the issue but had a short power outage yesterday and they’re all offline again now.

+1 Here
Tried reconnecting several times, but no connection btw Hue and ST.
Ended up deleting the Hue Hub in my ST App and reapplied it, but it messed up all the automations and rutines, so it cannot be recommended to go that way.
I noticed though that my account on the https://auth.meethue.com/ was not active and I was not able to login. I was forced to create a new account with the same credentials as the old one and after linking my Hue Hub to the new account all devices synced to my ST and was in the correct locations (but had to be added again to the automations. Everything has been stable since then (4 days)

I can login to my HUE account without any problem and I can see that the "Hue Bridge is online " and that I’m the administrator.
Still the HUE integration to ST is broken.

Hi, @Tino_Race, @Rogue66
The team investigated the issue and in your case, it seems you made a driver switch at some point, as I mentioned above, LAN drivers don’t support it (especially the Hue driver because of how it works) and during the switch, the data stored might have been lost and that’s why you’re having issues now.

So, in this case, the possible solution is to reinstall the devices because the keys saved during the onboarding are highly important.

@ZappIt, could you also provide access to your account, please?

1. Confirm the email account registered in the forum is the same one you use for SmartThings. If not, please share it with me over DM
  2. Enable support access to your account:
  1. Go to the SmartThings Web (my.smartthings.com)
  2. Log in to your Samsung Account
  3. Select Menu (⋮) and choose Settings
  4. Toggle on Account Data Access
  5. Select the time period and confirm - In this step, please select “Until turned off”, once the team finishes, we’ll let you know so you can disable it again.

My account is accessible, email the same.

Thanks for the response/update but I would request some clarifications please:

1. “…made a driver switch” : are you referring to driver for Hue Hub (I have not changed this)

2. Please explain/clarify what you mean by " LAN drivers don’t support it (especially the Hue driver because of how it works)" I do not know what you are referring to when you say “LAN drivers”

3. As I am fairly sure I have changed very little in the last year or so (other than what absolutely necessary due to Smartthings “retiring” old IDE(?) drivers. Since this was all working fine until a few days ago and I have made absolutely no changes to any drivers in several months I am not very happy with the suggested solution as I am fairly sure this may also mean re-discovering all devices and having to re-do all of my automations

Hey @Daerve1 Can you please confirm?

1. What issues were you having that caused you to delete the devices and rejoin them?
  2. With your hue bridge that is offline - Have you tried to go to the device card and pull to refresh? Is the bridge still offline?
  3. What Hue Bridge do you have? (Is it square or circular in shape?)

Thank you for your help.

Sorry for the confusion, in the app, there’s a menu called “Driver” when you enter the device’s details, there you can choose to use a different one that the list of installed drivers allows, that process is considered a “driver switch”. This causes some status changes in the device which the team saw during the investigation, if you haven’t tried to change what is controlling the device from the app or the IDE, it is weird that the status changed. If that’s the case, I’ll notify the team, can you confirm, @Rogue66, please?

LAN drivers are all of those that don’t use the Zigbee or Z-Wave protocols (which allow you to connect devices that support that technology), in this case, the Hue driver is a LAN driver.

Hi, everyone. The investigation is still ongoing, there’s another thing we need your help to confirm, please, does any of you have a V1 Hue bridge?

CC @Rogue66, @arcspin, @Tino_Race, @ZappIt, @Daerve1, @Johnnybegoode

Thanks for those explanations.

When checking the current driver in use for the hue bridge I did see it was set to a Tasmota driver, however I think this was done by me only after the issue started occurring in an attempt to switch away form and then back to Hue driver to see if I could “fix” the issue. I am 100% certain this was not the initial cause of the problem
I have now switched back to Philips Hue Driver however the issue still persists

Hi,
I have a Hub V 2.

SaintG Hub
Firmware version 000.047.00011
Z-Wave DSK
41442-29080-01193-06108
20123-06571-05184-63204

@arcspin, the version I mentioned we need to know is for the Hue Bridge, not the SmartThings Hub, can you confirm which version is the Hue Bridge/Hub, please?

Hi,
I have Hue bridge V 2 (the square one)

Name
Philips Hue
Description
Developer
SmartThings
Support information
Version
2023-05-23T18:29:49.565838074
Channel

2 Likes

All Hue devices went offline at some point and no longer worked through ST so I deleted them all and reinstalled them to try and resolve the issue. It did initially until I had a short power failure then they all went offline again.

I’ve tried refreshing, power cycling absolutely everything and waiting, all to no avail.

I have 2 v2 hue hubs the square ones and a v2 ST hub

1 Like

Although the app and the API allow you to switch between drivers for an LAN device like the hue bridge, the integration won’t work correctly if you do, because as @nayelyz mentioned, there is security information exchanged at the time an LAN device is added, which will not be available after the switch.

So the only way to make it work is to remove the device and re add it.

This is different from Zigbee or Z wave devices as those can switch between one edge driver and another without any problems.

(And I agree with those who said that the app needs to be updated so it doesn’t allow you to even attempt this for an LAN device.)

There are a few edge drivers for LAN devices like the one created by @blueyetisoftware for the Hue bridge which will work by adding the LAN device as a new “instance” so that for a while, you will have two device tiles for the hue bridge. After you are sure the new driver is working the way you want to, you can then delete the original device, so that’s a way of “switching” between drivers for an LAN device, but it’s not the way you would do it for Zigbee or Z wave devices.

2 Likes

Just to make sure, this is the original issue I and most likely others had in this thread.
(After that there are different paths taken to try to solve the issue)

Again, the root cause is that, at some point in time (perhaps June 1st), the Philips Hue lights cannot be operated thru the ST app and automations with Hue lights do not work properly.
Philips Hue has gone missing in the Linked services page in the ST app.
Hue Hub is still present and connected as a tile in ST app.
This happened without warning nor prior tinkering in the ST app.

The Hue hub still works on its own and can be operated as usual with the Hue app, turning on/off lights and so on.

2 Likes

if you open the hue bridge tile in the ST app, tap on the 3 dots in the upper right, do you see Driver listed in that menu?

1 Like

Yes,
I see:
Edit
Driver
Information

and under Driver:
Name
Philips Hue
Description
Developer
SmartThings