Turn Off Power Notifications on SmartThings Power Outlet

Hey all - I have a smartthings switch controlling a wine fridge, and when the fridge is on, the “recently” and “Activity Feed” on my smartthing app spits out a constant stream of “power is 42”, “power is 34” notifications, bogging up the activity feed with too much info. Is there a way to turn this reading or these notification off?

It depends on the specific device you have. If it’s a Z-Wave power outlet, then typically they have configuration parameters that control the reporting interval and (power delta) reporting threshold, which you would want to tweak. Check your product manual.

Changing the parameters would need to be supported by the device handler you’re using though. If not, you could try my Z-Wave Tweaker tool. However, if you’re using the official SmartThings power outlet, I think it’s actually a Zigbee device, so what I’ve said won’t apply.

The power reporting outlets report whenever there is a change in power. Temp sensors report whenever there is a change in temp. That is how they work. Depending on the device handler you are using, some do have a setting to only report changes of XX watts or more. Another option is to just not pay attention to the logs. Use an app set an alert to notify you if power is outside of a specific range.
is
I want to know what wine fridge you have that is only using 34 or 42W of power. Ours is closer to 100 and up to 300 when it actually kicks on.

If you mean a smartthings branded outlet (and some other zigbee outlets), it is likely running the SmartPower Outlet DTH (although that would be good information to know), you can create your own to get less frequent (or none at all if you don’t want them) events about the currant usage. This is the line in question. These are the default args for the electricMeasurementPowerConfig.

electricMeasurementPowerConfig(minReportTime=1, maxReportTime=600, reportableChange=0x0005)

So anytime the current changes by 5 it will report it (at most once per second, and at least once every 10 minutes). If you change the no arg call in the DTH to increase the reportable change, increase the minimum report time, or simply remove your report configuration for the attribute you can adjust the event generation as you would like.

1 Like

@Zach_Varberg, thanks . This reporting interval or power differential setting should be exposed in user interface. The last time I used a SmartPower Outlet, it was reporting 0.1w changes - far too much.

This looked like a quick fix to the Log Fog of an outletv4 connected to a Christmas tree with blinking lights, but none of the applied values seem to change the flood of events to my Samsung Connect Home. Have these values been documented elsewhere? Are there ‘min’ and ‘max’ values? Is my update correct for 'only notify me if the power changes by more than 4 watts?

refresh() + zigbee.onOffConfig(0, 300) + zigbee.electricMeasurementPowerConfig(minReportTime=10, maxReportTime=6000, reportableChange=0x0040)

This is the error I receive when I execute a configure command:

groovy.lang.MissingPropertyException: No such property: minReportTime for class: script_dth_c6a09bc4_295b_4c57_94ef_1ed459c474f5_ver_0_2

Based off the following code:

def configure() {
// Device-Watch allows 2 check-in misses from device + ping (plus 1 min lag time)
// enrolls with default periodic reporting until newer 5 min interval is confirmed
sendEvent(name: “checkInterval”, value: 2 * 10 * 60 + 1 * 60, displayed: false, data: [protocol: “zigbee”, hubHardwareId: device.hub.hardwareID])

// OnOff minReportTime 0 seconds, maxReportTime 5 min. Reporting interval if no activity
refresh() + zigbee.onOffConfig(0, 300) + zigbee.electricMeasurementPowerConfig(minReportTime=1, maxReportTime=600, reportableChange=0x000A)
}

Any thoughts on the minReportTime error?

@grollif Try this for a 4 watt change

def configure() {
// Device-Watch allows 2 check-in misses from device + ping (plus 1 min lag time)
// enrolls with default periodic reporting until newer 5 min interval is confirmed
sendEvent(name: “checkInterval”, value: 2 * 10 * 60 + 1 * 60, displayed: false, data: [protocol: “zigbee”, hubHardwareId: device.hub.hardwareID])

// OnOff minReportTime 0 seconds, maxReportTime 5 min. Reporting interval if no activity
refresh() + zigbee.onOffConfig(0, 300) + zigbee.configureReporting(0x0B04, 0x050b, 0x29, 1, 600, 0x0028)
}

I’m using this for a 10 watt change and it’s SOOOO much quieter

def configure() {

refresh() + zigbee.onOffConfig(0, 300) + zigbee.configureReporting(0x0B04, 0x050b, 0x29, 1, 600, 0x0064)
}

Sorry, it was a little unclear, but what I was showing above was the signature of the method. The name=value syntax is not valid when calling a groovy method. So just use those values in that order. But it looks like you got something working.

Thanks for the follow up,
I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong, but that also didn’t work.

The ‘SmartPower Outlet (Preferences)’ by @instanttim looks to be working though.

The mobile app has the ‘last’ value on the “Right Now” view and only the changes >X on the “Recently” view. (The system logs have all the other events with “displayed: false”.)

Thank you to you all!