TP-LINK HS110 Smart Plug w/ Energy Monitoring, Wi-Fi Enabled

A couple of caveats to start.

• First, it is not native integration. Smartthings doesn’t allow you talk sockets so we have to go with a middleware gateway.
  • You will need to be able to run the gateway on something that runs NodeJS. You will need to install it using npm because it uses the hs-100-api library created by plasticrake (www.npmjs.com/package/hs100-api)
  • I run it in Docker so if you have something capable of running it there, it would be worth it. If you want to get started in something can run Docker on the cheap, I would suggest picking up a Raspberry Pi 3. It will do the job. I have included a docker file and some instructions that will stand up quickly.

Once you have the gateway up and running, you simply install the device handler and create a new device for each outlet you have. The networkDeviceID shouldn’t matter as long as it is unique. You have to supply the ip address of the outlet and the ip address and port of the gateway in the preferences. Once done it should look like a normal outlet. You will have to do an initial on/off to get the switches reflecting the correct state.

I have five of these outlets myself and they all seem to work as expected. The is probably the minimal work needed to make the outlets available to Smartthings so don’t expect miracles or for it be bug free. I will update and help as time permits. You can download the files here:

github hs-100 gateway

3 Likes