Three speed whole house fan

There are usually three different ways to do this.

1. pick one speed and then automate turning the fan on and off

This is probably been the most popular over the years. It’s pretty straightforward. You add a smart on/off switch (not a Ceiling fan control switch and not a dimmer switch) And then you just turn it on and off. You do have to check the specifications to make sure he can handle the current draw, but this usually works pretty well if you’re OK with just having one speed. There are a number of threads in the forum about these projects.

1. choose a fan which has its own app, run it on an android phone, and use a combination of Tasker and sharptools to integrate it. The app doesn’t have to have any other integrations, not even Alexa, it just asked to have an app on an android phone so Tasker can interact with the app. I have an actually heard of anyone doing this for a whole house fan, but it’s been done for a lot of other appliances, and it should work. @joshua_lyon might Have more thoughts on this.

2. add robot button pushers to the physical wall control, and then automate those. This actually works fine, We use it at my house, people have used it to Retcon air conditioners, DVD players, coffee makers. The button is substituting for the human finger rather than trying to do anything with the wiring or electrical flow. This is quite simple, but can get expensive, as you need a different pusher for each button And those cost about $30 each, plus $40 one time for the button hub. Switchbot has an integration with The new V3 smartthings app which works quite well. Again, I’m using it at my house.

So this may be a more expensive solution, And it may look weird on the wall, But you can probably replicate all of the existing functionality of the wall controller. Because you’re just replacing the human finger that would push those buttons. So this could definitely give you speed control. And it doesn’t violate the warranty of the fan But you can probably replicate all of the existing functionality of the wall controller. Because you’re just replacing the human finger that would push those buttons. So this could definitely give you speed control. And it doesn’t violate the warranty of the fan. :sunglasses:

See the following thread for detail discussion:

2020 Switchbot Review ( robot button pusher), integration through IFTTT or new V3 app

1. One other possible solution would be to find a whole house fan that works with Amazon echo and then use alexa routines (not SmartThings routines) as an intermediary. A quick Google search turned up a couple of these being implemented by professional installers, but no off-the-shelf products. In the future we may see more of these, I’m just not aware of any right now.

So there are some possibilities depending on exactly what you want to do and how much you want to spend, but nothing really easy or designed for this purpose.

1 Like