Thinking outside the box of home security

It is sad this doesn’t happen much any more, unless it’s a time of severe strife for everyone. Partly to blame because you just can’t trust alot of people nowadays.

I’m doing the same. My ST sees all 15+ sensors I have with AT&T and I even use them to turn lights on/off etc. :slight_smile:

A burglary is basically what led me here. Ultimately, no alarm or lock or anything can provide complete protection. However, I went for 20+ years without ever having dealt with a break-in before.

In my experience, the best thing you can do is discourage break-ins. You can’t create a perfect system. There’s always going to be a way around, through or in.

You have to think like a thief and assess your risk level. I don’t own raw diamonds. I have normal stuff in a normal house. I travel sometimes. I sleep at my girlfriends sometimes (which I was doing when the house got robbed).

All I wanted was a system that would discourage anyone from assuming this would be an easy break-in. Motion lights outside. A system to randomize lights in the house. And if someone did say, I guess I’ll see what happens if I force open this door - noise. And lights. Every light in the house. ST does that for me. In addition, I get a text and a notification. As does my girlfriend, who is my backup when I’m flying. On top of that, I have cameras recording to the cloud to verify an intrusion and provide to police, if needed.

Your average burglar isn’t going to cut your internet line or wait for an outage. Or break-in and wrap up in 15 minutes. My burglar spent hours in my home. Because it was obvious no one was there except a cat - who didn’t raise a paw to stop anything, the little bastard.

So, basically ST is doing what my cat would do if he had any sense of loyalty and could operate a smartphone.

3 Likes

I’m betting it was an inside job… and the cat was behind it all.

5 Likes

lol I wouldn’t put it past him. He’s a cat, after all. Zero loyalty. Pure evil.

5 Likes

My dog, on the other hand, would’ve been opening doors and helping the burglars carry things out to the car. He has real tasks to do, but guard dog isn’t one of them. :wink::dog:

5 Likes