They're here! : new Green Energy Battery-free Wall switches for Hue Bridge (Illumra, Busch-Jaeger, etc)

Good to know. I can get behind that. I might have to pick a few of those up.

More information from the manufacturer of the US model, Illumra.

They believe the switch might work with smartthings once smartthings has zigbee 3.0 support, But they haven’t received any reports yet one way or the other. The new V3 hub does now have Zigbee 3.0 support. The other hubs do not as yet.

However: the Illumra switches can only be set to one of four different Zigbee channels, and you have to manually switch between them if you aren’t using a hue bridge.

If ZigBee 3.0 support is available, the Click for Hue can be configured to transmit on 1 of 4 ZigBee channels by holding one of the buttons for >10 seconds. Button to channel mapping is:
Button 1 : lower left (BO) - ZigBee Channel 11
Button 2: lower right (AO) - ZigBee Channel 15
Button 3: upper right (AI) - ZigBee Channel 20
Button 4: upper left (BI) - ZigBee Channel 25

So if your smartthings hub is on a different zigbee channel, you’re going to be out of luck.

I would go into the IDE and see what zigbee channel your hub is using before ordering these.

@tpmanley

2 Likes

I had asked the question on the Amazon listing that got an answer with that exact same text above. I had already ordered the switch anyway, so I opened it up to see what it can do.

Here’s what came in the package. I tried to post some additional pics, but as a new user on the forum it will only let me post one.

I was disappointed that it really doesn’t fit “flush” with the wall unless it’s in a box. Since it’s all plastic and the mounting area is sort of thick, I’d be surprised if standard wall plates will fit flush even if it’s in a box, but they might.

I’m honestly pretty disappointed with the hardware. The buttons are misaligned. The “Clicks” seem OK I guess.

I tried to connect it to my Nvidia Shield Smartthings hub but it didn’t see anything. I think it’s running the older hardware anyway that doesn’t have Zigbee 3.0.

The manual is a single sheet of paper printed on a laser printer on both sides. Seems very cheap, honestly.

Anyway, I guess I’m going to return this. Still looking for that great switch that sits truly flush on the wall and can be installed next to an existing box to add on more switches that look like “normal” traditional switches.

3 Likes

I guess I’ll see if I can post the other pics in individual posts.

2 Likes

Side View

2 Likes

This exists, but I don’t want to drag this thread off topic. See the following FAQ (the title is a clickable link) and look for the Cooper switch. Then ask any follow-up questions about that switch ( or any of the other devices in the FAQ) in one of the threads about that model in the forum. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Thanks! Found that thread already. Still haven’t found exactly what I’m looking for, but as you said…let’s not drag this thread off topic.

Now that you replied, it will let me make another post here. :slight_smile: Here’s the manual and box it came in.

1 Like

Thanks for the information!. I suspect that most people are going to be comparing this to the Hue dimmer switch and the Hue tap switch, so it’s going to look pretty good. But we’ll see. If it does well, we should see more competitors over time. Since the switches will also work with HomeKit as long as someone is using them through the hue bridge, we should start to see an interest in the aesthetics as well for that audience. :sunglasses:

I found these switches really interesting, for example this one from ABB/Busch-Jaeger.
https://new.abb.com/news/detail/6607/abbs-smarter-switch-ranges-to-support-philips-hue-smart-lighting-system

Finally some aestetics!

Anybody tried to pair any brand of the friends of hue switch series with ST?

Those look really nice!

1 Like

Anybody been successful in adding a Friends of Hue switch directly to ST?

great idea!

Hi, I’m now on Zigbee channel 24.

How to force Smarthome v2 to change frequency?

Try to add a Niko hue Dimmer Switch.

Grtn Ben

I believe the zigbee channel is set when the hub is initially setup. the only way to change it is to factory reset the hub and even then you have no control over which channel it picks.

1 Like

Can’t find any specs/details about this Niko, what Zigbee channels.

But when It’s Zigbee 3.0, then It’s useless to my smartthings hub v2.

I just paired it with my Philips Hue bridge that is also connected to the SmartThings

1 Like

Not necessarily true. I have several Zigbee 3.0 devices on my v2 hub. The ZIgbee spec says that a 3.0 device needs to be backwards compatible.

Why are you concerned about Zigbee channels? Are you having interference with the hub and your wifi router?

If you’re having a problem getting that Niko device to join your ST hub, it’s not a Zigbee channel issue. It means there’s no device handler available, or there’s a device handler available but it’s not being picked up properly because the device’s “fingerprint” isn’t recognized.

The reason your Hue bridge found it is because, well, it says is for Hue system.

Actually, it could be a channel issue.

The new “friends of Hue” Battery free switches are kind of an odd design as they Are using Zigbee green power, not the full zigbee 3.0 clusters. In order to save energy, these are teeny tiny pulse commands. And so far most of these devices have come out working only on a choice of two or three of the ZLL channels. (See the Illumra Details above in post #14.)

Since smartthings also used the ZHA channels, It’s quite common for a smartthings hub to be on a zigbee channel like 14 while the switch is on 25.

So adding one of these green power devices is not like adding a lightbulb which will find the right channel when it joins the network.

While zigbee 3.0 itself is backwards compatible, there are some exceptions for devices which would have been green power profile devices prior to Zigbee 3.0. (And of course there’s also a touch link issue, although that doesn’t apply to these particular devices) In particular, the manufacturers of green power devices are allowed to limit channel changes to manual touch patterns rather than making the device smart enough to do it on its own, which would require power the device doesn’t have.

All of which is to say that first before you do anything else you have to make sure that the channels match for these green power devices.

SmartThings customer support can change your zigbee channel.

Tnx, but I don’t know if the four buttons have the same frequency paired as JD mentioned.

Now none of the four buttons pair with the SmartThings.

The Hue app knows on what Zigbee channel Hue hub is and tells the correct button to press. In this picture it says press the lower RH button and release after 10 sec. Then the Hue bridge pairs.

Open the Hue app, go to settings, and find your bridge.

There will be an information icon in the upper right (in English, it’s the letter “I“). Tap on that.

This will open up the screen showing the details of your hue bridge, including which Zigbee channel it is using.

You can easily change what zigbee channel the hue bridge uses through its app.

However, the smartthings hub is capable of using some channels that the Hue bridge does not.

If it is possible to set your Hue bridge to the same channel as your smartthings hub temporarily, then the Hue app should show you the correct tap pattern for that channel for your switch.

Once you have that, set your Hue bridge back to its original channel.

Now try adding the switch to your smartthings hub using the tap pattern you just learned.

Let us know how it goes. :sunglasses: