The End of Groovy Has Arrived

:smiley: LMAO - well played, @eric182

2 Likes

Wow, thanks for the info. I have such a small digital clock and have now freed up a USB charger.

3 Likes

I had the same today since the updated firmware so I suspect the new firmware is bigger. Now my hub is rebooting hourly.

what are the led colors on the hub? which hub do you have?

V3 hub. It was updated to the latest firmware and since then the hub is reporting as “The Memory is almost full”.

The light on the Hub turns blue and restarting it resolves the error for a while. When online the performance is very sluggish

I’m at 84 devices (not all hub connected) and 27 drivers. But curiously, i’m no longer receiving that warning :thinking:

1 Like

@Jeff_Gallagher How many devices? How many running drivers (not just installed, but with devices assigned)?

My own experience is that the v3 starts going downhill at around 15 running drivers on fw 45. I’m sure there are other factors involved (I have around 125 devices, almost all hub-connected, some interacting with the hub quite frequently), so your number may be different.

@Automated_House Are all 27 drivers actually running, or are some installed but not in use? That’s a lot to run based on my experience (though with fewer hub-connected devices, maybe it’s ok). Try running logcat for a little while on all drivers to see if you’re getting frequent driver restarts, which would be a sign that you’re running too much. My understanding is that the message is based on memory, not storage, so I suppose you could see it come and go depending on what’s actually happening on your hub.

Well, the ST V2 Hub has twice the memory and CPU of the ST V3 Hub. It also has the option to use the built-in battery backup (although most users removed their AA batteries after the firmware update that caused them to leak! :wink: Great memories! )

The V3 hub brought WiFi LAN connectivity, instead of only Ethernet, and an extra radio or two, one of which will now be used for Thread. In pretty much every other way, the V2 hub was a better piece of hardware.

10 Likes

Ha, so THAT’s why my batteries leaked. I obviously removed them at that point like everyone else because battery back-up to the hub when the devices you want to control have no power, nor the router for the Internet is useless :wink:

2 Likes

With all this talk of a memory shortage, maybe it would be good if ST considered releasing SmartThings OS that we can install on a raspberry Pi/ mini PC / mac mini / NAS so we can add as much memory and more RAM as needed.

Yes i suppose its kind of (definitely) ripping off HA but it would give us much more flexibility.

Would potentially be quicker than designing/building and releasing a new hub unless anyone knows of one in the pipeline?
Infant didnt Aeotec have a Zigbee or Zwae Usb dongle? I wonder if that could be built on?

@SmartThings

1 Like

Won’t ever happen. They need the information on thier clients for any of this to be remotely cost effective for them if they’re not charging for access.

Going to roll your own like HA would eliminate that from thier ecosystem.

1 Like

I think also that, as a giant global corporation, Samsung would not want to have any legal liability for weird things that happened with someone running a licensed copy of their software. Even if it was totally not their fault, the odds of their getting sued are very high.

I know that when IBM first started getting interested in Linux freeware it made the business decision to acquire Red Hat and run it as an independent subsidiary, in part to limit any legal liability to that subsidiary.

So I suppose Samsung could set up a SmartThings foundation as an independent group to distribute licensed OS freeware, it’s just hard to see what their motivation to do so would be. :thinking:

@nathancu

3 Likes

Hi! Drivers in the Default Channel are installed only when a device is paired and no compatible driver already installed was found.

2 Likes

Has the same problem, about 100 devices create it (i did a factory reset, and install about 100 from my 250 devices). Blue led. Hab v3.

The V2 hub has double the memory and processing power than the V3. The V3 was a serious downgrade just to gain wifi connectivity.

3 Likes

My biggest concern is if my v2 dies, its not as if they are easy to find these days, im all for a super ST hub, a modern version of v2 produced by Samsung

5 Likes

Totally agree

Would that not be the time for a system change?

If i were to change systems the new system hub would need to be priced the same as an equivalent ST hub, not involve a Pc and a phone Ui that matches the ST Ui or better
 preferably better

For me and my very long experience of Tech, Samsungs track record has been very good, for 20yrs i was an all in Microsoft fan boy, i got burned multiple times from hardware and software, Samsung on the other hand have given me reliability and quality

1 Like

I get that. I tried HA and whilst the compatibility is in another league, the remote access and ease of use just isn’t. Plus St has Zwave and Zigbee. The hub is low powered and I still can’t understand ppl being open to running multiple systems especially considering energy prices.

Probably for another thread

1 Like