Tesla Powerwall II

My Powerwall was installed after Tesla added the self-signed certificate to the gateway, so I never had a chance to use this device handler. To get around the issue for now, I’ve created a SmartApp to access the Tesla server to get Powerwall info and allow commands. It’s not as ideal as accessing your local gateway, but I think it may be the only option right now without adding an intermediate proxy server. It also requires entering your Tesla server credentials, so again not as ideal as a direct gateway connection.

It’s still pretty beta, so use at your own risk if you want to help test it out.

The SmartApp code is available here: https://github.com/DarwinsDen/SmartThingsPublic/blob/master/smartapps/darwinsden/tesla-powerwall-manager.src/tesla-powerwall-manager.groovy

And the required Device Handler code is here: https://github.com/DarwinsDen/SmartThingsPublic/blob/master/devicetypes/darwinsden/tesla-powerwall.src/tesla-powerwall.groovy

Both the SmartApp and Device Handler code need to be installed before adding the smart app from the mobile UI Automation tab. Activating the smart app will also activate the powerwall device on the mobile app things tab.

Thanks @RLS for getting the ball rolling on this. I hope we can get back to the direct gateway connection method at some point. Also thanks to @trentfoley for your work on the excellent Tesla Connect app. It was very helpful to leverage the Tesla Connect app access token initialization code. Not sure, but it may make sense to bring Tesla Powerwall and vehicle code together at some point into a common smart app suite.

1 Like

I ended up doing a Webcore piston that also logs hourly data to a GoogleSheet if required, and sends a push notification when power is being exported to grid. Might be some methods of use in there to someone.

Benji

I miss the luxury of 240V * everywhere * in the UK, if you even have a slight hobby for power tools or power amps for A/V, then it becomes a struggle on 120V with the majority of outlets limited to 15A…

Ah yes the joys of the US and their third world power grid. :slight_smile: I see they recently ‘celebrated’ the famous power cut of 1977 with a repeat power cut to the day this year in New York.

The ‘advantage’ of the weak 110v system the US uses is that it lets them get away with shockingly (groan!) badly designed electrical plugs and sockets. Here in the UK we have what is arguably the safest and most robust power plug in the world.

All UK plugs are required to have a fuse and an earth pin. The pins unlike the feeble folded copper pins used in the US are solid brass alloy many times stronger than the US pins and the live and neutral pins on UK plugs are normally covered in insulation along most of their exposed length. Further more the live and neutral cannot be connected i.e. pushed in until the earth pin first makes contact which means you are guaranteed to have RCD protection against electrocution and yes it is now a requirement for all electrical installations in the UK to use RCDs across the board fitted in the main circuit breaker box.

See
http://bs1363.fatallyflawed.org.uk/
and

PS. I too intend to eventually get a Tesla Powerwall II but I am waiting for the matching Tesla Solar Roof Tiles.

1 Like

This. All of this. My thoughts since moving to the US :smiley:

We can have “240V” outlets but it’s not quite the same… There is ONE “disadvantage” to the UK plug… Probably the only thing worse than stepping on Lego with a bare foot is stepping on a UK plug :face_vomiting:

1 Like

I’m using this and it works well. Thanks Robin

Is there a step by step some place to do this? I have had ST for a while but just started getting interested in doing stuff other than the out of the box things. What is FQDN and how do I overcome this for my Tesla Powerwall 2?

Thanks

Fully Qualified Domain Name
See the WebCore post for something that will work. It’s been running over 18 months without a hitch so far. But definitely start with a simpler WebCore tutorial.

How do I get to that tutorial?