System put me at risk

My good friend has an Insteon hub and loves it. You can automate things like we do, on a basic level, but there’s no app community. I do believe you can write your own code, but good luck with that.

All processing is local, and he’s never once, ever, EVER had an issue with something not working like it should.

Okay let’s not get crazy. No HA system is that good. Not Crestron. Not Control 4. Not any of them.

Insteon switches and dimmers use power-line commutations, not RF, and therefore are not subject to the radio interference that kills both ZigBee and Z-Wave. There’re other sources of interference that affect Insteon, but as rule, it’s more robust in most situations.

As far as I understand – it does both powerline and some radio-based, as a redundant solution. It’s not “getting crazy,” to say his system is extraordinarily reliable. I think one time he complained about something, but it was a rule he had set up – not the hardware’s fault --ever.

Yep, page 29: http://cache.insteon.com/pdf/insteondetails.pdf

1 Like

Thank you @stevenascott. That PDF was the answer I was looking for. Straight forward and No criticisms for a basic question.

1 Like

yup insteon is great up until you have an RCD circuit in your house like I do…it kills all power line stuff. If I use a 500mbps power line adapter I get less than 1mbps with huge latency because of huge numbers of retry attempts…after which you are then dependant purely on RF which is why I ruled this out.
On the plus side with the RCD circuit if I ever want to kill myself I cant choose the toaster in the bath method

1 Like

Sorry, @lmosenko, didn’t mean to be rude or hurt your feelings. :angel:

1 Like

No problem @geko. I was just interested in Insteon comp to ST. I have similar problem to @Fuzzyligic. Can’t use Insteon.
SmartThings will do and hopefully ST will get better…Soon.

Wait what? My schlage z wave lock opens or locks remotely via smart things…

Not my model. BE369. Best I can do is release the mechanism if someone is standing there waiting to turn the knob. But I can’t actually lock/unlock the door.

So you don’t own the right lock, not smart things fault?

I think you’re missing the point. I was disappointed I bought the wrong lock. Now I think I’m lucky I bought the wrong lock. I’m not blaming ST that I can’t unlock it remotely. Given recent issues, I’m glad my system doesn’t have the ability to do this.

Has anyone backed this on Kickstarter? looks like they are shipping already… looks incredible:

Damn, that is REALLY cool! Though most things on KS seem that way at first (hint hint.)

1 Like

Interesting, I don’t see the USA on the preorder country list =(

I think this is the only place they can ship to…Funny

FYI

Received the following reply email to my request.

Thanks for your interest in Homey! It is possible to order from the US via email, but know that Homey as of now is not FCC certified yet (because we focus on Europe first), so buying and importing is at your own risk. This is also why we don’t offer US shipping as a standard option ;). If you still would place an order you can send me your details and I will provide payment options when we start producing the US units (which is after the EU ones).

tldr: Homey hasn’t gotten FCC certified yet. and EU is more important.

With Homey, do we still need a smartthings hub, I wonder?

Not sure if all instructions are ‘local’ meaning no smartthings server related problems.

Definitely need to find out more.

1 Like

Homey is also using European frequency zwave and the initial units don’t have ZigBee. So it won’t work with any US devices except a few LAN/cloud ones, like Philips Hue and maybe WeMo.

Also check their user forums–a lot of issues with the voice control reported by the first receivers.

Detailed discussion of various ST alternatives here: