System put me at risk

Wish I could like this comment many times!

2 Likes

Alexa, double scotch rocks

3 Likes

I’ve had my ST since early December and haven’t experienced these issues…am I just lucky?

All I hear is that everyone thinks being local and not cloud based is The be all and end all of a HA solution. There is a place for a well executed cloud based solution, with the reliability of internet connections these days and the comms with that cloud platform being TCP based and not connectionless then packet receipt is acknowledged.

The issue with ST is how badly executed this cloud platform is. It can be fixed.

But I’m down the path of a hybrid solution so will make portions more reliable and I will use ST for cloud to Cloud etc… Or at least until they get their house in order

But one thing I found by adding a secondary controller is that I had 9 non existent and non failed wave devices in the zwave network configuration, but with no corresponding device in ST, But becase ST doesn’t expose this detail to end users they won’t know. And I have no idea how it got into the state, but I suspect this is because the remove operation was killed when th removal job was long running.

But since deleting I have a lot more reliability of my zwave automation.

3 Likes

By this point I’m guessing they’ve created such a complicated cloud service that the v2 hub can’t run it by itself. Otherwise you’d think they’d already have made everything local to get perfect reliability.

That’s the only way to survive with SmartThings. Most of my devices are Z-Wave and I’ve been using a hand-held Z-Wave remote (actually several of them) as a back-up in case of SmartThings outage. They’re completely independent of SmartThings, so I always have local control of my lights and switches. That’s the biggest advantage of Z-Wave over Zigbee for me.

1 Like

Yup with smartthings you can say Computer…lights…whenever your ready…any time now…

So our garage door went up sometime during the night all by itself today. It is the first time I’ve had devices randomly activate. This is one of those issues that the wife deems a ST killer all by itself…

Did you look at the device and see if there was something that might have triggered it? Sometimes I find something useful and other times I find nothing.

1 Like

My family room lights turned on spontaneously at full brightness at 12:29 AM this morning while I was watching TV. The dimmer switch that cortols the lights is not part of any lighting automations except for “Good Night!” routine, that actually turns it off.

I looked at the logs and they show that the switch was turned on by physical action, which of course is total bee-es since there was no one else in the room at the moment. Besides, the dimmer is preset to 50% and in this incident it was turned on at full brightness.

Sure, there’s a chance it could be a switch malfunction, but I’m very suspicious of some gremlins running lose in the cloud.

1 Like

Did you feed the cloud after midnight?

too bad we cant find someone to write a PC based system that uses the same groovy code

3 Likes

I was actually looking for this last night… Then what, buy a z-wave and zigbee dongle for the machine?

exactly. Just plug the dongles in and have the software run on the PC. Run it locally. for remote access you could have a router that allows VPN connectivity and install the VPN app on your phone or open a port in your firewall and have a local access password for less security

1 Like

Groovy alone doesn’t help: That’s just the abstraction layer.

Try the following thread for discussion of various laptop-based options:

I believe @keltymd was implying it is “too bad” that someone can’t replicate the entire SmartThings platform (at least to run the same Device Type Handlers and SmartApps), but make it run on a PC with no custom hardware.

Theoretically, an emulator could be written to support the published API, but without open source, this would have to be written from scratch. I also presume there would be copyright restrictions.

There is no published client API (nor code for the SmartThings mobile Apps…), either.

I have to ask a simple question…is ST ignoring the fact their issue are beginning to reach the line of affecting developer support? I mean if you guys are looking for other options…just wow.

I understand they have Big Brother looking over their shoulder and laying down the long term goals, but the fact their own weekly email from the forums now seemingly shows more negative active titles threads than good ones should convince even a blind man they are about to reach a critical point in their future ability to attract developers.

Put plainly. No.

Kind of… But actually not really. We largely operate independently.

We know. The Dev Advocacy Team is working very hard to rectify this. Newtons 1st law is in affect here. It’s just gonna take a little time. @jody.albritton and I are watching and reading everything even if we don’t respond. Us responding doesn’t mean we aren’t working behind the scenes. I’d rather be working on your behalf internally.

9 Likes

Hey Tim,

Has there been any internal discussion about allowing people to run local cloud/hybrid with their own server – or if the v2 hub is actually capable of doing just that? From a 10,000ft view through a foggy window, I think a lot of our problems would be solved if we could offload all the heavy lifting to local resources.

Just curious if that has been decided against, wholeheartedly, or if it’s on the roadmap to (somehow) allow us to run everything locally?

Thanks!

-SS

So can you independently decide to start running more of the processing locally which should drastically increase ST reliability and performance?

2 Likes