Stylish brushed steel (remote control) switches like Rako (UK)

Hi

Could anyone please refer me to any remote control switches, that can be wall mounted, similar in style to those used by Rako lighting?

I’m looking for something with brushed steel, and thin buttons to control scenes. (I found these switches, but from what I can tell, that’s a closed system -http://www.wisecontrols.com/wise-switches-remotes)

They don’t need to be actual switches, as I’m using the Aurora inline controllers, or Samotech SM309 (still TBC which system), so just looking for remotes.

Current options - Aeotec Wallmote, Ikea 5-button remote, or Aurora remote - but I’m looking for something more stylish.

Thanks for any guidance

Sorry, I’m confused. Are you looking for dumb switches to use with smart inline controllers? Or smart switches?

And what country are you in? The device selection does vary.

Finally, what do you mean by “remotes”? Do you mean a battery operated device that can send a message to the hub, which can then send a message to your inline controllers? (That’s how the Aeotec Wallmote works.) Or something else?

Hi @JDRoberts

Thanks for the reply -
I am referring to battery operated device that looks like a light switch when wall mounted, to send a message to inline controller via ST.

In style, something like the Rako options.

Thanks

What country are you in? :sunglasses:

Sorry - I’m in the UK

OK. How many buttons do you need? (Also, we should say that these are unlikely to be actual metal because that could make it difficult to get radio signal in and out of the device. They are more commonly metallicized plastic.)

There is a line of zwave scene controllers available from a couple of different companies in the UK, including popp and devolo. These typically have press, long press, and may have double tap. So you can get anywhere from 4 to 12 scenes from what looks like a two button device. Here’s the DTH for those:

The Remotec90 is another Z wave device with eight buttons, giving you up to 24 scenes, which is very popular.

IMG_2378

I know neither of those are exactly what you’re looking for, they’re just the closest I can think of that work with smartthings.

Thanks for your help here. I like the Devolo switch.

Looks like rocker/retractive switches are my best option, and I’m not going to be able to get the Rako style button switch. Good feedback on the metal blocking the radio signal too. I hadn’t thought that through.

Currently trying dumb rocker with Samotech SM309, plus control from Aqara switch (which I have working - for now!).

Also looking at Senic, although they’re a little pricey.

Thanks

@Hendo25 Z-Wave switches are generally cheap and naff in appearance. There are some wireless switches like the ones shown by @JDRoberts but most of them are Kinetic type switches and do not work with Smartthings but would work with Philips Hue.

The nearest thing to a smart switch I have seen to the one you showed is switches from Lutron for their mega expensive Homeworks QS product line.
https://www.brilliantlighting.co.uk/lutron-homeworks-qs/
It is possible to link Homeworks QS to various systems including HomeKit. The following implies some Smartthings connectivity.

Note: Homeworks QS uses proprietary wiring. It is orders of magnitude higher end than Lutron Caseta.

Lutron Homeworks QS is available in the UK but the b******s refuse to do a UK version of Caseta.

Thanks for your feedback @jelockwood

I think I’ll steer clear of Homeworks QS.

1 Like

Small note: As far as I know, all of the kinetic switches, and definitely all of the ones that work with the hue bridge, are using Zigbee, not Z wave. Zigbee has a profile specifically for this purpose, Zigbee green power, and it was folded into Zigbee 3.0.

The Hue Tap and the Friends of Hue are all this type.

Theoretically they should work with a smartthings V3 hub if you’re lucky enough to be on the right Zigbee channel, but I have an actually seen any reports of anyone using them that way yet.

The ones that work with the hue bridge can be made to work with HomeKit via that bridge, which does give you some additional options.