Stuck at "Setting up hub"

@mattjfrank I’ve tried power cycling, and have tried port forwarding, but nothing has worked yet. I’m able to ping the hub and the hub has the green lights. I’m willing to bet that something went wrong with my account in my initial setup.

Got a message my hub is now offline and inactive about an hour ago. Still have a solid green light on hub. So i deleted the hub again and try to set it again. Now it said update failed and hub is inactive.

How are you guys finding the IP of the hub itself? Just unplugging everything else?

@Ryan_Walters In my case it is the only wired connection on my router, so it shows in my router settings under the wired devices tab.

So, I added a new location, and the app seems to be working ok now. However, in the dev tools I still see no hub listed.

The problem is on their end. You might do X, Y, or Z, and maybe somehow it works, but the issue is with them.

I have my hub DMZ’d, and it doesn’t matter one bit. I’ve deleted my hub, power cycled everything, re-added multiple times now. I always get solid green LEDs, but the app and API page say offline/inactive.

@Ryan_Walters I manage my network very closely I have numerous ip devices and I keep track of what they all are. If it helps the mac address probably starts with d0…

@Lou_Fourquet you are correct, the problem is on their end and many things may or may not work and a number of things have to happen so that the hub is registered, gets the corrected firmware etc.

I also don’t think the port forwarding is at all needed. I didn’t have it with my previous hub and will remove it for this one. But it was just one of the steps I did. What I think the final trick that made it work was waiting the few hours for the hub to get what it needed to proceed. I just laid out the steps I took to get there.

My problem was blue leds, and not being able to move forward. Those with green leds have a different but not necessarily unrelated problem.

thanks guys, i just unplug things and added the port forwarding. Should have thought about MAC address. Like other i don’t believe the problem is on my end. I have always had green light on hub.

Port forwarding didnt do anything.

BTW that one time code on the box. I have used it a dozen times with no error about the code being used. I still think the hub just not pairing to my account.

Tried the steps that Matt suggested. No luck. I get the green light on the hub within 4-5 minutes connecting the power back up. HUB and location shows up on IDE but its inactive.

I guess the frustrating thing here is that many of us have yet to receive any kind of response. Some are saying no response for 4-5 days… If it is truly an issue on their end they should step up and acknowledge these issues before people start jumping ship. I might be absolutely insane but I’m actually considering connecting everything back to my V1 hub. I can get away with this with only 15 devices or so but I can’t imagine having 50+ devices and going through this. This is a mess and honestly, they need to be doing more for their loyal customers.

It’s the weekend so I understand that but this is when normal folks have time to do their home automation projects… on the weekend.

I couldn’t agree with you more. I was fuming mad yesterday because I’d removed all my devices from V1 50 or so actual devices 20 or so virtual devices not to mention other integrations and countless apps.

When all was said and done I couldn’t get my smoke detectors removed. I emailed support about, they replied within 20 mins or so and said they manually removed them for me and I could proceed setting up hub V2.

That is when my nightmare began and I realized the blue light was actually a bigger issue. 2 unanswered emails to support and 2 hours later I gave up and went to mow. While mowing I got the text saying there was an issue that was being worked on. Shortly after finishing up outside I got a text that the issue was resolved.

My hub still wasn’t working, so I sent another email to support, also unanswered. I then began to read and read and read and test and try and test and try. I finally gave up and was watching tv when I noticed my light turned green.

I then went to work adding my devices back. To say I was frustrated is an understatement. Many of my devices don’t have physical control (dual relay modules in fan canopies). And many of my devices are controlled by other devices. So if I would of not gotten stuff working last night, I was facing starting from scratch on V1. To ST credit they did tell people not to upgrade to V2 unless they had a real need to.

I love ST because of it’s openness, amazing support staff, ambitions and most importantly the community. I despise ST because they continually fail to live up to their own hype, they tell how they are making improvements in stability and scalability, but it never seems to be enough. Most importantly, when something goes terribly wrong like it is right now, they keep quiet and wait until they can apologize to speak up.

There is absolutely no reason why there is not one or all of the following, emails from support saying they are aware and working on it, status page reflecting the issue, forum posts recommending waiting to upgrade. I don’t care what day or hour it is. Technical Support response is critical, even if there is no resolution.

ST is not a consumer ready product, although it’s much closer to being one then it was when I started last spring. What I mean by this is unless you use it in it’s simplest form you need to have lots of patience, some tech knowledge and be willing to do some reading and fiddling.

I do love ST, and I love the product. But I’ve had the same thought since day 1. I could never recommend this product to a customer or friend because it’s almost a guarantee I’m going to look like a fool.

3 Likes

I took mine back for a refund today. Complete and utter crap. Unfortunately I had already ordered another online through their website. If it doesn’t work straight away it’s going right back to them.

It shows a great video, marketing and so on. It’s far from the video if you can’t even set the bloody thing up!!

Why is there no reply on this forum from Smartthings? I have still had no reply …
How are you meant to trust this company for your home secuirty and automation. When they have a problem it seems they just hide. This would have been a great opportunity to show how they handle a tough situation.
Really sad as the hype was great … The support is rubbish… I cannot give feedback on the product as I have not been able to get my new welcome code. I am now into day two of waiting!

This seems more like a “venting page” than anything. That being said, I went to the support chat in the app and had instant help and within 20 minutes, they we’re sending me a new hub. I still try to take into consideration they are a small and rather new company.

Hi

I appreciate your comment and I can see how you could discern that opinion from reading some of the comments.

Where is the chat you used?
When I go to chat online I get "SmartThings Support: Due to increased ticket volume, live chat is currently unavailable. In the meantime, please email support@smartthings.com with any issues you may be having and we’ll get back to you right away.“
when I chat on the app I get " Live chat is currently unavailable, please use email”

Christopher, when the product doesn’t work and there is no way of contacting support what would your suggestion be for the next action beyond just sending it back… I think the product is great from my research… so I just need support.

I understand your frustration, after I waited since March to have the V2 hub released, then had it backordered a month. When it got here it didn’t work! I used the chat, I believe it was under the support tab in the Android app. Good luck, I wouldn’t fault you at all if you gave up and asked for a refund in your position. I already had too much invested with installed devices to give up!

Thanks Christopher. I have Hue and Nest and it seems that ST has the right attitude to integration and openness which is why I want to support them.
I hope that these issues get raise at an ops level so they can fix the customer support area of the business. Support is tough I have the same challenge in my own businesses and have had similar situations. In every case it is better to just own up and take it on rather than keep quiet. In fact every time I have not stood up and taken the heat it has turned out worse for the business in the long run.

I am passionate about it because all it would take is a quick message from ST CEO or below to say, “sorry guys, we are working on it. We will keep you updated” and then regular updates.
This is my chosen product… I just want them to get it right :smile:

2 Likes

completely agree. We are just in the dark and currently I have a £100 white plastic brick on my desk

New ST user here. I’ve had the v2 for five days and never got past the solid blue LED. Woke up this morning - did nothing new - to a green LED. As I said, I’m new so I’ve only tested rudimentary things but everything I’ve attempted to pair has worked.

1 Like

We are in the same boat and have tried;

• Adding Hub IP to DMZ IP
  • Port Forwarding all required ports to Hub IP
  • Hub shows green light and ready
  • Removed hub from API and attempted to run setup again, still spins and we get no where

I did notice the NIC on the hub, only the orange light ever is flashing. Does the other light (I think green?) flash for anyone else whom is having this issue?

Will be attempting a network packet capture next to determine what’s happening with the traffic.

1 Like

I was just able to Chat with support. I told them all of the things that I had tried and they said I tried everything that I could. They then had me email them my address, they are going to expedite a new hub directly to me and throw in a free sensor for my troubles.

I’ll be continuing to update my story and progress on my blog here and then eventually will have a full detailed review hopefully posted if the next hub works! :smile: