Still happy with your Smart things Purchase?

I like it but what’s not to like when the power company gives you one for free?

I am in a little bit of a holding pattern with regards to expansion. I want to see how the ecosystems shake out.

@Ben have you guys considered on the community side taking some of the most active contributors and developers and those that meet a certain criteria make them kid of MVPs like MS does, put them in a voluntary NDA and share roadmaps with them and have some access to engineering? that would help with some of the recent unease to have members of the community share in the excitement of what to come, get more technical direct feedback from a internal mailing list and motivate key contributors even more. Just my $0.02 cents on a way to improve the community.

2 Likes

Yes, I am still happy. I bought it in February 2014 and have seen great strides since then alone. I had about 30 devices and sold my house as a smarthome. The cool factor helped, but even though the guy wasn’t tech savvy, I was a able to explain and show him what it could do for him. I am planning out my new home and will buy another one. Even my wife misses it. I believe it is still the closest to consumer grade with deep function. I would not buy Iris. The fee is required for basic stuff.

Great suggestion, @darkoperator (Carlos)!

“We – self-designated MVPs”, have actually discussed it with @Ben, particularly since we’re really anxious to explore Hub V2; for both its compatibility with current SmartApps and Device Types, but also to take advantage of the super features. Crossing our fingers.

…CP / Terry.

Yup.

15 Hues, 5-6 additional switches, 3 Sonos speakers, 5 motion detectors, 2 presence key fobs, Harmony Home, gCal–>IFTTT–>ST integration. While I’m not saying that everything works 100% of the time, I am very satisfied with the overall use and flexibility of the ST platform.

3 Likes

Hi,
I have a couple of Venstar Colortouch thermostats and was wondering what sort of control you were able to get with your programming. I am considering ST for the first time and an automation solution that would work with my current thermostats as well would be perfect. Thanks

Modes, fan, and set points. Can’t recall anything else, not sure anything else is needed. It’d be nice to have remote control of the deadband settings, but I don’t think they’re supported by the local API.

79 devices now, and while its not 100% perfect, its not all SmartThings…there are vagaries with devices as well (TCP, Sonos, Kwikset locks) …once you get it, its pretty great. Not perfect, but really enjoy it. It keeps things interesting.

2 Likes

I would have to disagree, if they want to help with some of the unease in the community share the roadmaps and future hardware/software/app improvements with the entire community not just a select few. Some people only have a certain amount of time to be a part of a community like ST. I’m not trying to belittle anything anyone does for this community, hell, this community is one of the reasons I think some people stay with ST. There are people who have been here longer, write SmartApps then share what they did, help others with their SmartApps, etc. so I think this community is great. But why segregate people, increase the number of people who know things in advance but can’t talk about it and frustrate everyone else. If they want to improve the community then they need to share with the entire community, otherwise, eventually, that would cause more problems then it solves.