ST has become more unreliable over last few months

Maybe soaking your hub in a mild solution of methamphetamine. (c;

1 Like

Not comparing to a public utility - just providing a reference. As to free service I disagree. Last time I checked I paid for the hub and other devices, the service is included in that. This is a business model not a free community.

And even if it was free, there is a point that makes it unusable. 95% is unusable, 99% barely but possible acceptable. Right now its definitely below 99% for me in the few months I had it. That makes it nothing but a toy. I cannot rely on it for anything. Not for presence, not to turn my 3 HVACs into away mode, not to turn the lights reliably on or off, not to shut down Sonos when we all leave, ā€¦ you get the pricture.

I have not given up on it and if things improve I will be the first to praise improvements. Right now I am just as frustrated as many others.
There is a lot of competition getting released right now and over the next months. Will be interesting if that changes the service levels.

All I have to say is that overall, I donā€™t have any issues. Though that being all said, there are two things that are essential for SmartThings to make a statement on to the communityā€¦

1. Efforts to make service more reliable.
  2. Efforts in making the system more responsive.

Whether its ā€œsecurity system capableā€ or not, this is still a young technology, and with growth comes growing pains. Lucky for me this is just ā€œfunā€ though I am increasingly hoping to start using it as a security system, knowing that it will have its ā€œquirksā€. This is where I am hoping that Samsung will start providing more resources to SmartThings, in infrastructure. They have the purchasing power, money, status, etc to hopefully help with all of that.

Truth be said, Iā€™d bay 2.99-3.99/mo for higher quality serviceā€¦ with a level of SLAā€¦

ha drug I meant debug

Yes, the cost of the ā€œfreeā€ service is factored into the price of the ā€œthingsā€, but ST does not require you to purchase anything to use their free mobile app and their cloud service. Itā€™s quite a generous offer if you think about it.

I just suggest that people should set their expectations right. Iā€™m also frustrated when things donā€™t work and I donā€™t hesitate contacting tech support. We all want it to be more reliable and so does SmartThings staff. But itā€™s not a fault-tolerant, utility-grade system and it will probably never be. SmartThings does not make any claims as to reliability of their service. Read the Terms of Use.

Risk of Loss; Insurance. YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT YOUR USE OF THE SERVICES (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, USING THE SERVICES TO SECURE OR OTHERWISE CONTROL ACCESS TO ANY REAL OR PERSONAL PROPERTY) IS SOLELY AT YOUR OWN RISK, AND THAT YOU ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY FOR ALL LOSSES, DAMAGES AND EXPENSES ARISING OUT OF SUCH USE.

Iā€™ve had ongoing problems with my GE/Jasco outlets and switches. They just stop responding to commands, both from SmartApps and when manually toggled from the ST app. Downloaded the ā€œtestā€ firmware thatā€™s supposed to fix this issue and itā€™s still happening.

How did you download the test firmware for these devices. That is new to me (SMILE)

Yeah, Iā€™m finding it completely unreliable. It worked well when I first bought it but then it stopped controlling my WeMo devices (2 appliance modules and a wall switch) even though the native WeMo app worked perfectly.

I contacted support and they pushed an updated firmware to my hub which seemed to fix the issue, but now itā€™s backā€¦ the SmartThings app constantly reports incorrect state for my HUE lights and my WeMo devices. The automated timers often result in one HUE light going on while the other stays off and in the app it thinks both are turned on. The HUE native app (as well as other apps designed for HUE) correctly report the state of the lights.

Iā€™ve reported this latest issue to SmartThings and itā€™s been 8 days now without another word from them.

Between the flakiness, the fact that they were bought by Samsung and the fact that they donā€™t seem to have a clue why their platform is so flakey, Iā€™m done with this. What I have in place now I am controlling without the SmartThings app, simply using native apps.

SmartThings basically has until something better comes along (Appleā€™s HomeKit, perhaps?) to get this thing working or Iā€™ll be bailing from the platform. Certainly, Iā€™m not spending one penny more on their products until they can demonstrate they can remain continuously stable for a minimum of 6 months.

1 Like

Unfortunately I have to agree with the majority here and say that overall reliability of the platform has taken a hit over the last several weeks. My wife is extremely patient with my hobby knowing that itā€™s a true passion of mine and it keeps me out of trouble. Doesnā€™t hurt that I donā€™t pay for any of the equipment since my company distributes a lot of the various products I use.

Iā€™m a bit concerned that the pain of this thread is not seeing any response from the ST team. Are they speechless or perhaps theyā€™re going to roll out an update that will kick us in the teeth and shut us all up! I hope the latter!

Not sure where or what Samsung has planned for this platform but I know for a fact there is a ton of competition coming this year so letā€™s hope ST can keep pace and keep their loyal fans satisfied. I for one am sticking it out for now because I believe in the people that brought ST to us, even if Iā€™m a little deflated by the reliability of it.

Maybe Iā€™m the only one that doesnā€™t know how to troubleshoot this, but yesterday on the goodbye action it failed to turn off one of the lights thatā€™s clearly in the list. Can we get a notification or something that it at least tried?

I agree with you that ST reliability is very questionable. I plan to move to another platform that provides for local processing along with cloud connectivity.

2 Likes

@veeasr
What other platform are you considering ?

I have nothing but kudos for the support staff, but Iā€™ve had so many problems that I just gave up getting in touch with them.

Things DO seem to be worse in the past few weeks.

1. in the last month or so my hub has started reseting the mode to the wrong one, so that naturally puts everything else out of kilter. I canā€™t tell if itā€™s random or a very brief power outage or surge (the hub isnā€™t on a ups, but is on a power surge bar; however nothing else in the house reflects a power outage)

2a) 60% of the time the sensors are right on, 40% of the time the latency makes them unusableā€“like when Iā€™m already on the way back from the bathroom in the middle of the night;
2b) some sensors just donā€™t register events about 50% of the time
2c) sometimes (20% of the time) lights associated with those sensors donā€™t go off after the programmed time (This usually happens early in the morning when the mode might be changing, and Iā€™ve wondered sometimes whether thatā€™s whatā€™s causing it.)

Other things that bother me:

I believe the api for the Nest thermostat has been available for about year. Why no official app? Bless the programmers whoā€™ve built theirs, but Iā€™ve never gotten them to properly work.

It seems to me weā€™ve had promises of a Danalock app for nearly a yearā€¦

And the August Smartlock; it seems there was a blog post eight months ago that said that the team was working with August. I know itā€™s only started shipping, but that shouldnā€™t be when the clock startsā€¦

And, since Iā€™m an Android user, I still donā€™t get why there isnā€™t a proper tablet UI

And finally, the on-line connection should be more like an app, with the ability to turn things on and off. This was part of the original selling text of Smartthings, and though itā€™s somewhat better now, itā€™s not at all intuitive, much more like something for a developer.

There, Iā€™ve gotten 9 months of irritation off my chest.

I agree, unless it becomes more reliable (especially presence sensing using android mobiles) I will stop using it soon. Only reason Iā€™m still on board is that the Samsung acquisition has brought me hope. Iā€™ve had this for almost a year, and no Nest support, no Foscam support (both were ā€˜in betaā€™ when I bought the product but I canā€™t even get them to work with supports help), and the app has gotten worse while competitors have gotten even better. Whatā€™s going on, guys - focusing on funding and sales, not the product and software development? Or is the development just all behind the scenes and no new support or features? Either way, bring in more official device support and improve reliability soon or nobody will care if Samsung bought you or not when they see how far behind your software has gotten.

And itā€™s not just the app and device integrations. It seems no one is paying attention to public app submissions (thought it was just me, but others have complained). I donā€™t know what theyā€™re working, but based on what is seemingly being ignored, my expectations are high.

I would point you to this and other threads about Android presence:

In short, it isnā€™t the SmartThings app in all (most) cases. I think there are things the devices are doing.

To the other points here, we are just now recovering from the hiring ā€œfreezeā€ and general focused attention on the due diligence etc that goes along with large deals like the Samsung acquisition. We are growing. We have added nearly 10 people in the past month. 5 new people (4 engineers) have started this week and we have offers to several more. We could double our engineering team and not even break stride with the number of features and fixes we have ahead of us.

We are working on a lot of things. Many of them are not on peopleā€™s radar but that doesnā€™t mean we are ignoring the improvements we need to make to core functionality and Labs integrations. Those are underway too.

On the SmartApp and device type submissions, we are approving as many as 10 in the next 5 days with a steady stream from there on. In short, we appreciate your patience.

@Ben

Where do we see the approved apps and device types?

@Ben

Iā€™m not sure I agree with your conclusion. There is an acknowledged SmartThings bug with ā€œGeofence Delayā€ not working. Plus, people are reporting geofence issues with SmartThings but NOT with Life360. Yet not everyone wants or can use Life360 as a workaround.

Regardless of the cause, this is a critical need for home automation, so it should be in SmartThings best interest to get ahead of it.

This has become increasingly annoying to me as well.

Once every couple of months, SmartThings doesnā€™t sense that all iPhones have left and doesnā€™t perform ā€œGoodbye.ā€

There have been a couple of recent issues where time-based events failed to happen.

SmartThings intermittently doesnā€™t reflect the status of my garage door. I contacted support thinking that my multi-sensor was failing; they told me this was a known issue.

I have an app that monitors a door lock to turn off a security camera if we go outside. This works ~85% of the time for some reason.

I really hope that things improve. I bought a couple of GE Zigbee bulbs for my hallway and want to automate them using a motion sensor but Iā€™m concerned it wonā€™t work or that the lag will make it unusable.

I have to agree. Iā€™m around the 25 device mark and reliability is really starting to be bothersome.

Not so much for me, because I understand it takes time, but my wife is getting more and more annoyed. When we get to the house and presence sensors are not recognized until 3 minutes after - so we still have to enter key code to unlock the door. Then the door sensor doesnt recognize as being open until we are already in the house for several minutes. She always looks at me and says ā€œWeā€™d all be dead by now if that was an intruderā€. Itā€™s a joke, but her concerns are grounded.

Iā€™d be lying if I said I havent been looking at Vera, but my god their mobile apps are hideous. The Revolve hub looks nice - with a good mobile app from the looks of it.

I love SmartThings for several reasons, but I can only make excuses for performance for so long.