[ST Edge] Web Requestor: a driver to issue local POST and GET HTTP requests

New Version of Web Requestor now Available

At the request of @orangebucket, I have a new Web Requestor driver available that is designed to be more useful in acting on a web request response.

In the original version of Web Requestor, nothing was done with the response data other than to display it on the device details screen. It was possible to inspect the response data string from a Rule, but Rules has no way to look for a substring.

This new driver makes it easier to act on the response data with the following new features:

1. The HTTP response code + any errors are now returned in its own field. Automations/rules can test for ‘200’, for example, or for any other non HTTP-code error text which will begin with ‘**’
  2. You can now have the driver extract a specific value from a JSON or XML response, based on a configured key name. If found, this extracted value will be placed in a new extracted key value field, which can be use in automations/rules. The key is specified in the device Settings (one per device).
  3. Multiple web requestor devices can now be created to facilitate building automations/rules around an individual device’s web request(s). A button now appears in each device’s details screen to create a new device. Each device will continue to include up to 50 pre-configured web requests, in addition to the new option to specify a key for JSON and XML value extraction.

Because of the changes outlined above, this driver is being made available as a new driver, as opposed to an update of the previous. I’m trying to make sure I don’t disrupt existing devices or otherwise cause anyone to have to redo everything. What you can do, is run this new driver in parallel, and move your existing web requestor device to this new driver when you are ready. Your existing web requests will continue to work as they do today, but accessing the new features will be done under the new driver devices. Once you’ve moved everything over to the new driver, you can delete the old one.

To get the new driver, use my shared driver channel invite and select the “Web Requestor Multi v1.0” As always, give it some time to get loaded to your hub and then you can do an Add device / Scan nearby to get the initial device created.

3 Likes