[ST Edge] DSC Security System / Envisalink Driver (2021)

I have lurked around this forum for the last 3 years and this DSC integration is what I would of written code for if I was capable, a big thanks for making my dream come true! I can now get rid of some battery powered sensors.

My DSC alarm is programmed to use a 6 digit code, so I’m not able to enter a code under the DSC Alarm code setting.

Also if zones 1-9 were renamed 01-09 they should sort correctly instead of falling after the last 2 digit zone number.

I have a EVL-4

Enivsalink 3 vs Envisalink 4 Difference
The Envisalink 3 only supports 6 ASCII digits for a password but the Envisalink 4 supports 10.

Thanks for your post!

Can you tell me what model number is your DSC?

I can get you a modified version of the driver to test that would address the issues you mentioned.

For posterity, with some debugging we found and fixed a bug @KB111 uncovered when the passcode started with a ‘0’, so his is working now with the driver fix. Thanks to @KB111 for getting logs that exposed the problem.

PC1864 Power series 64 Zones

OK thanks.

This is an easy update to the profile to allow up to 6 digits.

Given that the device settings allowed a password to be up to 16 characters, this wouldn’t have been an inhibitor, however not sure why I had it set to 16; I’ll reset that to 10 max now that you pointed this out.

Are you talking about in Settings? If so, this is a curious one, as mine (on iOS phone) are sorted correctly. Do you have Andriod? Perhaps a SmartThings bug?

OK, I’ve pushed out a driver update that should allow you to enter a 6-digit alarm code. Please test and let me know how you make out. I’ve noticed that with the new mobile app update I got last week, in Settings it now shows the allowable number of characters when you are editing an input field, so that will help you know you have the update.

Password has also been limited to 10.

I didn’t do anything about the zone sorting, since that may be a SmartThings issue.

The update allowed me to enter a 6 digit DSC alarm code in the settings, and it now saved it. Thanks!
All my zones now show up in Groovy IDE, it shows them as cloud, under execution location, do I need to change them to local? Or is this just an IDE issue, as I know many things no longer function under IDE, and these are now using an edge driver. I will change them to local to see what happens.

The zones 1-9 and all other zones show up in a unassigned room, and it sorted them10-25, and then 1-9. I would have added them all to one room but due to the 20 room limit I could not do that. If they all were in one room it would need 1-9 renaming to 01-09 to place them at the start of the room list.

Glad that worked.

IDE does not show Edge devices accurately; rest assured they are local.

I now understand what you are saying about the order of newly created devices displayed in the unassigned room. I’ll look at implementing your suggestion. Thanks for pointing this out.

@TAustin - I’m a long time alarmserver user. Installed this today and it works great. Thanks!!

1 Like

Great to hear. Thanks for posting!

Same here. Great edge device setup @TAustin

It goes out once in awhile and devices show offline. But will correct when I reboot the hub. I’ll have to debug next time that happens s.

OK - let me know if you’re able to capture a log while that happens. I’ll want to fix that if I can!

There is definitely a problem that seems to be related to when the hub reboots and restarts the driver. I got a firmware update and this happened to me: The communication with the Envisalink goes into a failed state and keeps retrying to connect. If you (or anyone else) sees that your devices appear offline and/or unresponsive, an alternative to rebooting the hub is to temporarily change the Envisalink IP address to another (wrong, but valid) address in Settings. Wait 10-15 seconds, and then change it back to the correct IP address. This will force a clean reconnect, and things should start working again.

I’m going to have to try and figure out what’s going on…

2 Likes

I just started using this on Friday after having alarmserver for ages, and it is working beautifully for the zone notifications and whatnot. After seeing the post about not being able to disarm through the app I confirmed I am seeing the same. The program light comes on for a bit, but the unit stays armed. DSC Power 832 with EVL4 DSC. I can grab some logs if you want to see. But I don’t really use that functionality, so no big worry from my end.

And you are certain you have the right arm/disarm code configured in settings?

If so then being able to see logs might be needed.

Do you see the same for both arm stay and arm away? Arming works, but not disarm?

EDIT: One further thought: If you didn’t adhere to the 15 second pause between settings changes, it’s possible your alarm code didn’t get captured, so just double check it.

I just went to test this and when I opened the DSC Primary Panel icon it did a quick download, and now everything is working perfectly. So I’m guessing I just had an old driver. So I am set. Seriously great work on this. It’s amazing.

1 Like

Question on installing/running SmartThings CLI. On both MacOS and Raspian after installing the CLI I get the following error when running:

smarthings --help
TypeError: HelpClass is not a constructor

Any ideas on how to resolve? Thx for any pointers.

How did you install the CLI? On Pi, the best way is using npm:

mkdir ~/.npm-global
npm config set prefix '~/.npm-global'
export PATH=~/.npm-global/bin:$PATH
source ~/.profile
npm i -g @smartthings/cli
1 Like

Driver update notice:

I am pushing out an updated driver which should be reaching your hubs shortly. This update includes the following:

1. Improved message display when trying to arm when system is not ready or when trying to disarm when system is not armed

2. Envisalink connection code update to try to address random connection failures and phantom disconnects (suspected to be tied to driver restarts due to hub reboot or firmware update)

3. Elimination of 15 second delay requirement between device settings changes. It appears that the SmartThings platform Settings issue has been resolved. This change will mainly benefit new driver setup.

On the list for a new driver in January:

• Addition of a separate siren capability included on the panel devices
  • Addition of ability to issue PGM 1-4 commands to DSC (could be used to control siren on properly jumpered DSC boards)
  • Third option for dashboard button for ‘no action’

Thank you to @Chester_Knurek and @Meirion_Williams for their recent feedback and suggestions.

1 Like

Amazing work. Thank you for this.

2 Likes