Software Vendor Opportunities and Considerations

I am new to SmartThings. I am leading a software development effort with an ISV focusing on IOT business software and have a few questions.

1. Is the Smartthings community intended for ISVs that want to make money developing compatible software? Are there licensing considerations?

2. Our intended focus is more on “business” automation than smart homes. Does Smartthings participate or intend to participate in the future in business/industrial areas? Our use cases tend to be business oriented such inventory tracking, employee location tracking, business process, etc. All our scenarios tend to involve companies with databases such as DB2, Oracle, SQL SERVER where we are using RFID for a lot of our smart applications.

I’m really trying to understand if there is a possibility of using the SmartThings platform instead of building our own.

Thanks much in advance, Paul

1 Like

These guys should be able to answer your question better than I can.

@tslagle13 @625alex @tgauchat @Ben

1 Like

Welcome to SmartThings and great questions, Paul!

@Ben, @slagle, @jody.albritton are SmartThings “Developer Advocate” staff and can give you official responses and/or direct you to the SmartThings “partnership channels”.

@625alex, myself, @obycode, @joshua_lyon and a few other high-profile “Community Developers” are completely independent (at the moment) and can share our personal experiences. I’ll send you a Private Message so I can express my experience forthrightly and share some advice, etc.

Hey @PauHolm. Welcome to the community! I’d love to give some insight to your questions. [quote=“PauHolm, post:1, topic:35009”]
Is the Smartthings community intended for ISVs that want to make money developing compatible software? Are there licensing considerations?
[/quote]

If I am understanding correctly you are more talking about the Control4 model? If so, we aren’t really setup to do this at the moment. But there are a lot of people out there who are making something like this work. Tagging @sidjohn1 for his input.

At the moment no, we are focused on the home. That is not to say we don’t have visions of this in the future though. But at the moment there isn’t anything commercial focused so anything along those lines would need to be written by you.

Please let me know if I can clarify anything else for you :smile:

1 Like