SmartTiles v5.8: Deployed to Blue & Green Editions. Release notes, etc. (follow this Topic for updates...)

Then you’re going to looooooove :two_hearts: V6all the configuration is web page based!

1 Like

Hi all,

Considering the new security rules in place, which not me being in the US I have not been able to try yet, how you guys have solved the issue of having a tablet mounted on a wall.
I have a tablet with motion detector and tasker that automatically wake up the screen when I pass by and show me my dashboard. Is this still going to work?

thanks
f

As long as the tablet doesn’t go to sleep, the session stays active and you’re fine. I would imagine most tables are powered on at all times anyway, so I don’t think has much of an effect on wall tablets. For me, my wife despises the look of tablets on the walls and won’t let me stick them up. I’ve been losing this battle for 2 years.

ok thanks a lot

@625alex The in-wall tablets are not always on. SmartThings should have a reasonable in-wall solution otherwise users who need it will be forced to go to otherwise inferior alternatives such as c4 or wink relay. SmartTiles was a reasonable solution when you access it in-wall without a login prompt.
Why not simply add device cookie authorization layer to the token based URL? This will solve the “everyone can access” problem but will also allow wall mounted tablets and other trusted devices to skip the login prompt.

1. Initial access from unknown device will require login
  2. Subsequent access from same device will auto login (for example if “this is a trusted device” is checked in step 1).
  3. Optional ability to revoke access to devices
3 Likes

Hi jg… Thanks for the suggestion, but not everything is quite as “simply” implemented as it may seem.

In SmartTiles V6, indeed, we will be using browser cookies or similar mechanisms to retain validity of a login session (configurable) even if the power is cut or browser is closed (i.e., long lived sessions like Gmail and other services offer).

Unfortunately the V5 SmartTiles is served entirely from the SmartThings Cloud, so we have no simple way to manage sessions or cookies — SmartThings will not provide an API that fits the V5 architecture.

If you still think this is possible, please PM @625alex and myself, and include @slagle so that he can review the idea/concepts with SmartThings engineering for feasibility and security.

I was wondering why it does not allow me to go back to the main screen when I try to access it from another one of my dashboards? I get the message below when I try this.

Looks like you may have a revoked Access Token in your URL still?

Go in the SmartThings mobile App, SmartTiles, View Dashboard and URL, and fetch (copy) your new URL. It will be a URL for the SmartTiles Launcher. Be sure to bookmark that new URL as it replaced tokenized URLs…

Do I need to replace all the URLs for every dashboard?

Yes… Each URI for the SmartTiles Launcher has a unique “?app=” parameter and optional “&label=” parameter.

Thanks you guys for all the prompt updates and fixes. Keep up the good work and I Can’t wait to see what V6 looks like!

3 Likes

so when should we expect the update?

v5.8.0 is fully deployed to Blue edition users as of yesterday.

No date has been set for the official SmartThings published (green) Edition.

@tgauchat

So how do we get to be a “Blue edition user” ?
I have the green one… Not sure if I need to upgrade or do something or what.

You can’t get Blue edition if you don’t already have it installed.

Only the officially “published” edition is available for installation now. It will get the same updates as Blue, just on a later rollout schedule. Of course, some folks are considering this a bit of a downgrade…

ok thanks. looking forward to 6.0 then!

1 Like

Good morning,

I have the blue edition and when I noticed it I had my old dashboard there and then BAM it disappeared.
Now I can’t create any dashboard at blue edition. It says: "You have installed 0 dashboards. Click [>] to Edit. But It dont show anything under this to click “>”

I am doing something wrong? After that I installed the green edition and it works there, but my blue keeps not showing any dashboard button to create.

Does the green edition actually say “green” somewhere? Mine says “5.7.0-US+001” and that’s it.

This works for me - in Safari on latest iOS, I click a bookmarked icon for my dashboard with wait=0, and the SmartThings login comes up after the launch screen, Safari fills in the UID and password, and all I have to do is click LogIn. I’m using keychain sync through iCloud, which I wouldn’t do for a wall-mounted tablet that visitors could use, but I’d assume local password storage in Safari should work the same.

1 Like

Nope… It just has a green icon.
(We might add the “Green” suffix when we update it.)