SmartThings WIFI/Hub: Longer ethernet cable, or longer power cord extension?

Greetings,
Having just purchased a SmartThings WIFI/Hub (ET-WV525BWEGUS), I am in a position where I either can position the unit close to the router and use the enclosed ethernet cable - but will have to use a 20 ft extension cord (16/3 ) for power, or, I can plug the unit directly into a wall outlet (using only the power cord provided) but will have to use a 25 to maybe 30 ft ethernet cable to connect to the router.

Does it make a difference which option to go with, with regards to performance of the unit?
I would prefer to use the first option, with the longer power cord extension, if there is no difference. I could always go with an even better gauge extension cord, for power, if that is recommended.

Thanks very much for your help!!

JT

what is the router plugged into? perhaps use a UPS to plug both into it?

From my experience, moving the hub away from the router improved performance. Power or ethernet source shouldn’t matter as long as you have a solid network and/or no power issues.

2 Likes

Longer Ethernet cord. It’s better to have more distance from the router anyway. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Jkp,

Thanks very much for your reply. Router is plugged into UPS. I will probably wind up using a UPS for the device, too- it’s the issue of the distance from my power supply tat is the issue; however, looking at the other 2 replies, the advice is to have the device away from the router if possible- that’s what I will do-

Thanks again!

image001.jpg

1 Like

Ron, Thanks very much! Hub away from the router, it is!

Best,

JT

image001.jpg

1 Like

The length of the cable at that distance shouldn’t have a negative impact, but a shielded cable would offer extra assurance that any interference wouldn’t affect the data being transmitted through the cable.

1 Like

JD,
Thanks very much! I will go with the longer ethernet cable, so I can get it away from the router.
Thanks again,
JT

1 Like

thank you very much, blkwll!

I will go with a shielded ethernet cable, and have it away from the router for better performance.
Thanks again,
JT

2 Likes

You might also find this of interest. Start with post 11 in that thread (the title will link to 11), read that, then go up to the top and read the whole faq. :sunglasses:

Wow! thanks very much! This info will be VERY helpful!
Best,
JT

1 Like