SmartThings Outage - Mar 12 2018

In other words: We neither know what’s happening nor do we know how to fix it.

4 Likes

Its home depot brand. I knew beforehand that they have this issue and thought how often this will happen as home automation must be resilient but turns out that smart things is crapper then i thought and I have to have a backup plan.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-Wink-Compatible-and-Dimmable-5-6-in-White-LED-Smart-Color-Tunable-2700K-Warm-White-to-5000K-Daylight-Recessed-Trim-53166161/206029900?MERCH=REC--NavPLPHorizontal1_rr--NA--206029900--N

Sure glad I have Bond running my ceiling lights and my Iris hub is still on for couple legacy items. Just reset 2 zwave bulbs and now I have a little redundancy. Seems to be the order of the day.

1 Like

I’m not buying that it’s an authentication issue… ide.smartthings.com isn’t even loading much less getting to the point to auth users.

1 Like

I use Lutron Caseta lights and Phillips hue bulbs on the Phillips hue bridge. These will work with both echo and HomeKit as well as smartthings, so I have a lot of redundancy in the lighting system even for voice control. HomeKit runs locally so even if the Internet goes out everything still works except I have to switch to cellular for Siri.

Smartthings allows for much more complicated rule sets, But if you happen to have an iPhone, HomeKit can be a good backup for many people. (I myself am quadriparetic, with limited use of my hands, so reliability is the top priority for me.)

2 Likes

I have Sylvania/osram LED strips plugged in. I can unplug them, that’s it…

This is unacceptable.

As an electrical engineer that programs, if my application had outages of this level/severity/frequency, I’d lose my job.

So, tonight Samsung, you’ve lost yours. There won’t be another Samsung product that graces my household.

You’re done.

5 Likes

They may have taken ide down to lessen the load on the authentication servers. Seeing a huge amount of login attempts is a red flag for a ddos attack / breach attempt.

2 Likes

Another example of why “cloud” services are always a bad idea. The only thing they provide is vendor lock-in and on many cases a monthly subscription fee.

2 Likes

The folks that use this forum are more than average users in most cases. If we’re frustrated, think of average Joe and Jane.

2 Likes

While I’m very unhappy with my complete inability to control my devices, FWIW this is the first major outage I’ve experienced with over 3 years in… So frustrating for sure but s*it happens… Now that being said… FIX IT NOW!

2 Likes

Does anyone have an image of a hubitat? It looks like all the people who were upset at ST left and started it. :wink: they even have almost identical forums and I am sure I recognized the guy who created The original RM over there…

I have been using smartthings for about a week and been buying all types of accessories. Was even trying to add a new one when I realized there as a problem. This is beyond frustrating.

2 Likes

My 11pm routine just kicked in, so I guess some things are working.

The IDE isn’t loading because all of our threads are saturated attempting to make calls to the service that is down, probably not helpful of information. I promise that we are aware of what is causing these issues and are working to fix it.

8 Likes

Are you asking for a photo of a Hubitat Hub? If so, there are videos of it from Hubitat on YouTube

3 Likes

smartthings is not 100% reliable now and probably never will be. Could it be better … .definitely…

maybe 90% reliable… You need to plan accordingly.

Most of my lights are on switches, when even the smart portion is not working can be manually toggled on. Even plug in zwave or zigbee switches can be manually turned on/off.

For lights that are smart bulbs and not on switches directly connected to the power I still use local device types for white bulbs (hue hub for color that is more reliable) and have a backup with aeon minimotes /(which also run locally) so I can still turn them on and off. Recommend you look at the minimotes as they were just discontinued for a new model and still can be gotten very cheap.

For the garage I have both go control and home built with fribro isolated switch and sensor. But they are standard garage door openers and the smart components are add on. I still can open close with switches on the wall in the house as well as in the car. And I have a keypad (not zwave or zigbee, but directly integrated) on one of the garage doors. The only real problem I have have is if power is out… Need to unhook the garage doors for the track to open close.

For locks I have both zwave and zigbee kwikset… As with most smart locks they are battery operated and the keypad works even if cloud is down. In addition they have a key and I have all of them keyed to the same key in both our houses.

Other issues… Sensors fail… I have had both motion sensors and water sensors and door sensors fail. When the;y do I have been trying different manuf. and replacing with z-wave plus which seems much more reliable. I can only sumize that when a sensor fails or gets stuck on it is due to battery or signal strength or faulty hw.

Door sensors are also local , and for this reason automations on open closing door still work for the most part when could is down… Turning off after opening obviously will not if there is a delay which needs to be scheduled in the cloud as smarthings has no local scheduler running.

But I have redundancy here too. I have motion sensors and cameras to backup door sensors and use common sense when evaluating… I have one sliding door sensor tripped in the empty house but know it was a false alarm since the motion was never triggered and the temp in that zone never went down.
I don’t enable the siren in the house we occupy as I have been bit by this scenario. Siren going off and cannot turn off. I only leave it turned on in the empty house.
I get texts and notifications of intrusion and can enable the siren myself if need be if I think the emergency is real. I also punted smart home and converted to smart alarm which has been much more reliable.

Unless as JD says you want to spend 10-30X as much and get something like control4 you are going to have to live with these limitations/issues in the short therm. Many of my friends have wanted me to install a system in their houses after seeing mine. But I refuse as I don’t want to be their support person and most of these IOT systems are not, in my opinion, ready for the masses yet without constant tinkering.

Hope this helps some… Plan ahead, Plan for redundancy and control during outages!

1 Like

So supposedly this is only a problem in North America

Glad to see I’m not alone does anyone have a better system just updated my whole house about a month ago and today I get home to nothing working this is bs

1 Like

Our monitors on subscriptions and schedules are looking fine. The mobile clients, IDE, and SmartApps that rely on API calls are the things primary affected by this outage.

6 Likes