SmartThings Outage - Jan 16 2018

I’m back up also, but the app did require me to login with my id/psw (something I had to think about…it’s been a few years…)

1 Like

These last two outages may push more people who rely on the v1 / v2 hub as their primary security in Smartthings into this option.

These unplanned outages could be a well planned marketing move for just that reason. Subliminal advertising. :grin:

Didn’t have to go that route here. Just exited out of app and selected again. All recovered without being forced to login.

1 Like

By any chance did you already have a Samsung ID? Or just SmartThings?

@tgauchat was your V1 hub affected by this outage?

1 Like

I’m back up and running.

Brian

My SmartThings ID was converted over to Samsung Account as part of the Account Migration beta, so I’m kind of a one off.

This person is on v1 and reported down.

I’m on V1 also, and my ID is original to ST.

1 Like

Yeah, because outages on the Samsung platform are great advertising for more Samsung products lol

2 Likes

Touche :joy:

1 Like

i am not totaly down, but cannot control hue lights on my hue bridge…

Also v1 hub here and I was affected. Back up again just like everyone else.

Way-out-there-theory #2 had the outage persisted. Amazon purchased ST and shut it down with no notice. ha ha

2 Likes

Interesting. My Hue Bridge and all bulbs responsive from SmartThings directly.

Wink Wink. Wait I mean Blink Blink.

1 Like

Yes.

But didn’t have to re-login to App after outage. ActionTiles also self-recovered.

1 Like

I have been mostly unaffected so far. The only thing that did not work was the hub did not detect my presence via iPhone. It did detect my wife via zigbee. Local control has been unaffected, at least as far as I can tell.

I agree with the comment above about layered systems. I use Phillip Hue for all my lamp and accent lighting with the Hue bridge. I have several hue light switches scattered about. ST integrates Hue with my scenes and other lights, but if ST goes down, its just another button press. All my fixed lights are Z-wave switches, at least 30 out of 40. If ST goes down, the light switches still function as light switches, I just loose my routines. Both my HVACs are on Ecobees. I use ST Routines to set temperatures…but if ST is down, the Ecobee schedule resets everything to my previously programmed settings. Door locks will still work with a key or a code.

When ST goes down, its an inconvenience…kind of like living in the 00’s again.

So far, I have not integrated any alarm functionality into the system. I have a separate alarm system. I do want to integrate it into ST, but only in a way that does not require me to forfeit local control.

As far as alternative systems, each one I have played with or investigated was just too limited for my tastes. Vera is great, as long as you can write your own programs. The community was not as friendly or helpful - mostly showing off. Most extension apps were user developed with no follow through or maintenance. Works great as long as you keep everything on the Z-wave circuit. The new units support Zigbee, but I never played with Zigbee until ST.

I looked at ISY and its more or less the same. The background is actually insteon, but Z-wave has become the standard. Interfacing any other proprietary systems requires a host machine to run the server software - raspberry pi’s are the usually go to device.

I have looked at Homeseer and Indigo as well. They have their limitations and require a computer to be running the software on 24/7. Works great if you have an available computer to run 24/7 but that also presents its own challenges.

ST is not perfect, far from it. But I have not found it to be any worse than other products out there.

3 Likes

I’m sort of down. Hue integration works, Z wave works, presence sensors work. The obvious thing not working is HamBridge. Hambridge isn’t receiving anything from Smartthings.

I ran a z-wave last night on a similarly sized setup. I am glad you’re taking the blame.

2 Likes

It’s bad enough that I have to ask Alexa to turn on the lights. It is not acceptable to expect me to stand up, walk 10 feet to a switch and push the switch. Oh what a world!

4 Likes