SmartThings Hub Version 2.0

Certain functions will always require an internet connection but we are working to have as much local functionality as we can so that, in the event of an internet outage the system can still control lights, etc.

Mostly this is an issue of priorities and jut not getting the IP camera support to a releasable state yet, but you are right that the processor improvements (and socket support) expected in hub v2 will improve things for IP camera integrations.

I don’t know. We want to keep it as low as possible but I do not know the final cost of materials to be put in it or how much margin will be added.

battery support so it can be moved close to devices when joining would be great. Also in the offline mode not only lights but triggers for sensors to siren for alarms would be a must.

3 Likes

That’s an interesting thought. If not battery support, how about a “local add” support where it could associate with a device without needing to be connected to the network via ethernet? If it has Bluetooth on it, it could communicate to a phone via BT…maybe even use the phone as the internet connection.

But, being able to move the hub temporarily to add a device is something I have seen as an issue a few times on the boards here. So, a workaround that would allow it without the need for an internet connection would be helpful.

I’m also hoping that the BT support will also include BlueToothLE. I love the idea of maybe changing the presence fobs over to BT. That might allow for them to be associated with more than one hub. If that were the case, I could see more devices being sold. For example, I gave my in-laws two fobs (car and purse). They do not have a hub at their house, but I have been exploring if it would help them. If the hub had BT and if the fobs supported multiple BT associations, then this would spur me to explore this even more.

…just a meandering thought here

1 Like

Local Add would be the way to go with battery support or use of an extension and then have it sync back to the cloud, Vera3 and Vera Light use batteries for this same purpose.

Happening.

i didn’t mean to suggest only lights, but it won’t allow web service calls, for example.

1 Like

Which makes sense…

I know it’s still early in the developmental stages, but as far as “local control” goes, what’s the anticipated method of obtaining this? For example, if through the return menu (ie, built in functionality through the mobile app) I have a light that turns on when motion is detected, how does ST know if I want this as a “local function”? Do I have to tell it? Will it automatically load anything that doesn’t require web services to the local side? Or will all things like this be loaded locally and if it can’t get to the web, obviously that part fails?

Related to this question: If I write my own SmartApp that doesn’t require any web services, can that be run locally?

Sorry if this was already mentioned… Is the hub 2 project initiated by ST prior to acquisition, initiated by Samsung, and/or accelerated by the acquisition?

@ben Show us the hub, buddy! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Underway well before the acquisition and timeline has remained the same.

While we’re doing wishlist stuff…

Is there any idea of making the concept of a “person” richer? So for example, I register my people, and they become a combination of:

1. One or more presence tags
  2. Contact information/preferences (phone #, push device)

Every time I use a script I have to re-enter contact information; and additionally, my wife has two presence tags in different cars, and there isn’t a great way to do “if jim & (if car x or car y) are gone then set mode to away”.

And just to make more random suggestions:

• Add a built-in dashboard module that allows me to say if “everyone” is away, change mode to away, and then provide a simple definition for “everyone”.

Thanks for keeping connected with us here Ben. I look forward to the next hub :smile:

1 Like

This is accomplished with a Hello, Home phrase, exactly as you describe.

Also - I like your suggestions about the concept of a person and being multiple things. Not sure when/if we could get to it it though.

Cool, let me dig into Hello, Home and see how I’d use that. And glad to hear the ideas are interesting, I’m sure the backlog is long and full of amazing things so I won’t hold my breath any time soon. :wink:

but the battery add won’t take away the ethernet requirement

yep and that sucks, wonder how much cost the wireless radio adds tot he overal solution

Regarding migrating your network, the Z-Wave protocol has a “primary controller shift” function that we’ll use to transfer your network to the new hub. It can only be initiated by the original controller, so it’s not a security issue.

On the ZigBee side we’re looking at the possibility of copying over the entire network table to the new hub so the new hub will basically “spoof” the old one and completely take over its identity.

I’m optimistic that migration should be quite painless

3 Likes

About $70 per hub not including network costs on an ongoing basis.

But this could.

http://www.amazon.com/CradlePoint-MBR95-Wireless-3G-Router/dp/B00649TBE2/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1414195598&sr=1-1

You should really be looking to backup your whole network anyway and not just your SmartThings Hub.

If your looking for a router that will do 3G/4/G might like to look at this one for your whole house I have used CradlePoints in the pas a solid router but Asus has become my go to choice as of late even over Apple.

1 Like

For 4G backup I use the rock solid Peplink router. Business class firmware at consumer prices. The ASUS routers just can’t hold the 4G backup connection reliably. Failover needs to be done manually on ASUS. With powerful wireless range, ASUS is good for basic AP mode with router and other features turned off though. Good hardware, bad software.

1 Like

I will look at getting the Peplink Balance 20 when I get home out here in Afghanistan the Asus has worked well but I have manually switch to 3G/4G mode when the internet went down as I usually have my 4G stick with me when I am out of my room. The Peplink should be a better fit with my Cisco managed switches at home. You might take a look at the Asuswrt-Merlin firmware it does fix a number of bugs and makes ASUS software much better.

1 Like

Would a USB port and a separate ST branded usb WIFI adapter (for $70 or more) be possible? You can get USB WIFI adapters for $5 on eBay. You should just have to support the stack but if it’s linux under the hood that should not be a problem. It would reduce battery life but that would be an acceptable trade off.

3 Likes