SmartThings Hub Version 2.0

That’s insane. Obviously samsungs manufacturing prowess is not a perc you can avail yourselves of.

It is also insane to put the owness on your customers for getting the hub close enough to the devices to (re)pair.

Please don’t cheap out on v2.

2 Likes

Yea, have to agree with that. Speaking of manufacturing cost, it’s useful to compare ST hub to Apple TV or Amazon Fire TV, for example, both of which for the same $99 give you both Ethernet and WiFi, not to mention a much more powerful processor.

To be fair, those devices are subsidized by the content based ecosystem they support. But then again, there is the Roku. (c;

Awesome! I also use ringcentral for my business, and it has a horrible interface. Something like this for SmartThings would be an excellent improvement. How does telzio compare btw?

I am with @scottinpollock. Please don’t cheap out. Maybe make 2 version. a lite and a premium. I would easily justify spending an extra $100 or $200 for a much better device. I’m sure a lot of us have thousands of dollars wrapped up in home automation gear. For me, spending that extra money on the main brain is pennies compared to the grand scheme of things.

As I said, if equipment is right, I would spend upwards of $300-$400 for a “great” unit with “great” specs.

4 Likes

I agree I as would many more I am sure pay the extra money to have a complete system. Before I found ST I was looking at Crestron and Savant for when I got home from this deployment and jumped on ST before I left and have been happy at the results. I am impressed at what has come out of the community as far as coming up with new ideas and including new hardware. Given the right tools so much more can be done. I don’t do this as a hobby or an experiment and want a controlled home to make my life easier and safer (ok well it does impress dates) but as someone that has done this for a living in the past you are on the right track and the more inclusive and powerful you make ST 2.0 can only drive it’s acceptance to the next level.

Thanks for all that has been done so far and looking forward to getting home and adding to what I already have in place.

Now that Revolv is defunct, can you work to include Insteon radio support? Adding that would immediately allow you to quickly capture a now orphaned group of users left out in the cold!! This includes myself…

11 Likes

I completely agree with Rob on this one. Talk about a great way to reach out to the Revolv community.

6 Likes

Add insteon support and you gain all the revolv users

6 Likes

Revolv went belly up? Wow… I’ll be honest, that was one device I was considering if ST didn’t meet my needs. I gave it another hard look when I heard about the Samsung take over rumors and there’s was a lot of concern on what ST would look like. (Obviously I ended up saying with ST and the worst fears about the Samsung deal have (so far) turned out of be without merit.)

I liked the huge number of radios that were in the Revolv through.

I guess the question for ST is whether Insteon is still a viable market. I know there are a lot of installed devices right now, but will it continue to grow? Will it be worth supporting a device type that may not be likely to have many new installs?

Honestly, here’s what I think ST should do re: Hub 2.0:

Make it expandable!

If there is an add-on slot for future growth or for possible new modules, this would help in two key areas:

1.) Legacy support without being too expensive. My guess is that Insteon would require a licence fee and that would add to the cost (perhaps more than just the hardware itself). If they make this an add on option rather than a built in, then people who want it can get it but people who don’t wouldn’t need to spend the money for something they’ll never use.

2.) Future proof. If 2-3 years from now a new standard emerges and becomes highly popular, an expansion slot(s) allow for a new module to be added without having to replace the entire hub.

2 Likes

@chrisb, they didn’t fold but got bought by nest/google. And the new owners decided to stop selling it. I guess they wanted the people to be working on new nest products and the existing revolv product didn’t fit that vision. Like you, I was considering revolv and I’m glad I didn’t go that route a few weeks ago!

2 Likes

Everything I have seen requires a PLM for Insteon compatibility as Insteon is both power line and radio. The only thing that would be required is a port for the modem (and of course the software to support it). So it would be optional.

Hi Guys, my first post here. I have been looking at home automation solutions recently and think that SmartThings will be the one I choose.
Firstly I’m in Canada, and often many products are not available here, and if they are we pay a lot more $$ than you US folks. The W!nk hub sounds and pushed here by HomeDepot… meh… I already haev 2 Wemo devices (Switch and Insight Switch) and love how easy they are to operate. The new furnace to be installed will come with a comfortnet Thermostat which I believe hooks into the Honeywell system and uses RedLink. Hopefully SmartThings can connect to that,. BUT the main point I want to make was reading this thread, if ST is as reliable as I have heard and the community is open like this, I think I will invest in ST hub soon. EVEN with a newer device in the horizon for next year. I must admit, when I heard it was the “samsung one” I was hesitant to even look at it, but have now realised that Samsung have just invested in ST. Hope it stays that way.

Now if I can get the ST hub for a decent amount the hurt of buying Hub 2.0 wouldnt be bad :wink:

The plan is to have at least one USB expansion slot.

2 Likes

Well good thing you didn’t purchase one within the past week. It has had many troubles the past few days. But after a major system upgrade last night things are back to being stable and SHOULD remain that way for the foreseeable future.

You won’t be disappointed with ST. The community is great and the staff is top notch. They are very clear as to problems, releases, road maps, etc.

thanks… yes, this is one of the Selling features for me. Community support. I was a PLEX user from way way back and now look how well that has matured. :smile:

2 Likes

That’s why I use the ASUS RT-AC87U with some of the much better third party software out there. Merlin, Tomato and others are all worthy of consideration to replace the stock firmware with something more powerful and capable.

@DallasFlier, I tried that for years with ASUS routers. Even Merlin can’t understand some of the ASUS fail over dual WAN failover code which is poorly formatted and uncommented. He said he can’t fix it. My ASUS routers are demoted to AP and wireless bridge running Tomato for stability. They are stable if you disable all router and extra features. It’s been this way for years no mater the newest or older router product.

@Dlee As I understand it, the dual WAN with Merlin’s release works well in load balance mode, but has issues in failover mode. Why not use it in load balance mode, is it an issue with not wanting to pay for continuous 4G data usage?

I have to say, I had ruled SmartThings out for building my home automation system around. But since I’m still in research and evaluation mode (after returning a Revolv), the news that the v2 hub will support offline actions puts SmartThings back in the running. That was an absolute showstopper for me - lack of ANY offline capabilities.