SmartThings Hub V2 now available for pre-order

Collectors item. Save it new in box. :blush:

1 Like

On the box or on the unit itself?

In either case look again, are you sure it’s not just the regular Z wave logo?

Because it is illegal.

SmartThings certainly intends to do international business. They don’t want to start off on the wrong foot by violating international import laws.

come to think of it… maybe you’re right… damn… got happy for nothing :(… Thanks JD…

I dont think thats quite true, although many commentators state ‘this may be illegal in your country’. As I said, at my risk, I can order US regional zwave devices from multiple online sources, such as Amazon, and use out of region. The US frequency does fall into an equivalent UK ISM band, although I will freely admit that I am not a frequency licensing expert and the OFCOM rules are beyond my interpretation in this respect.

I recognise that its ‘dodgy’ going down this route, and the frequency segregation is there for a reason.

My point is that it was easy enough for ST to ship out UK frequency devices in the KS batch…

Are you acting as an authorised company representative in making that statement?

I’m not an import / export legal expert by any means. It certainly is quite possible that shipment isn’t illegal, but import and/or usage is illegal, subject to the subtleties of your jurisdiction.

SmartThings at the time of Kickstarter shipments is quite a different company than “SmartThings a wholly owned subsidiary of Samsung Inc.”. Samsung is much more likely to follow the advice of their huge legal department(s).

Of course not. But with Samsung being international, and various bits of non-private information available here and there, I don’t think I’m going out on a limb. :deciduous_tree:

“easy enough” :smiley:

Seriously though, we’ve already confirmed that we’re launching in the UK. More countries to follow.

3 Likes

Well… I think I was a part of that promo code sharing. You would think it ties into your account. Guess now we know. At least I converted two of my Vera friends over. Providing it was not sold out on them of course.

Sorry folks, didnt want to flame, but feeling frustrated as no direct answers.
@tgauchat - my KS devices really are European/UK frequency - not US, so they have done it before.
Indeed, ST are not the same as when they were on Kickstarter - seems harder now with Samsung and their money, than with smaller investor funding, which brings me on to …
@Tyler “we’re launching in the UK”… no dates=no assurance.
No answer to loyalty discount question. Even ‘of course, Andy, when we DO launch, we will make sure you keep the discount we offered but we prevented you from using’ would have worked :wink:
“easy enough” …am I thinking actually something was bypassed then in KS?

@samsung (made up user) dont forget Europe+Oz+Asia is bigger market than US.

That’s a fact, of course: But (hopefully!?!) SmartThings is being optimally conservative in not spreading themselves too thin as they grow. Expansion and scaling domestically is quite a different scope of challenge than expanding globally.

As a domestic (US) Customer, nothing personal, but I obviously don’t want your needs to affect the quality of service that we Yanks receive. :us: (Well… I’m Canadian, but think they’re doing fine :maple_leaf:).

There are, in fact, quite a lot of interesting smart home products that are launching in the EU and elsewhere that may never enter the US market. It’s not just about Z-Wave frequencies, but hundreds of regulations and certifications and privacy policies, and …, and … that products need to comply with for every country, and tech support in dozens of languages, …

Was there a discounted offer?

I’m trying to understand the same thing. :frowning:

There was, but it sold out in a day. Ben has stated they’re working on something, but gave no indications as to what or when.

1 Like

13 posts were merged into an existing topic: SmartThings Security Approach - Abstract

was for v2 hub and two ST sensors for $99

@ben I’m really sorry to be asking this question again, but maybe I can be more succinct here, and with the coming release of the device, maybe you have a clearer answer.

If I have the v1 hub on a network along with a v2 device on the same network, will the devices attached to the v1 hub be processed locally on the v2 hub?

I’m trying to decide if I need to buy one hub… or 3, as my local network spans a large plot of land. I currently have two v1 hubs serving my home and a detached garage. I’m also planning on expanding to a storage shed using yet another hub (location is too far for a radio), and just want to know if there are any benefits or drawbacks with mixing the two devices together on the same LAN IP… or if this is even possible at this time.

I have one v2 device on preorder. Will it work?

Does anyone has an idea when ST is going to start shipping the latest hubs?.I have pre-ordered it.

To take advantage of the local processing the devices will have to be connected to the v2 hub.

1 Like

Just checked the box of the replacement HUB and it does have Zwave Plus logo on it.

1 Like

I’m sorry guys, a bit late to the party. I had a v1 swap out about a month ago and the new one is the same as the one @cuboy29 has. Haven’t check for the plus logo but my question @JDRoberts is, what was the deal with Z-wave plus again? I mean, why is it better?