I’m on a new project to turn my Dad’s villa into a smart home.
Rough villa outlay:
- Ground floor + 2 more floors
- Each floor is roughly 300 sq/m (3200sq/f) except the last floor which is about 200 sq/m (2150 sq/f)
- All walls in the villa are solid thick concrete
- Ground floor has 3 big living rooms 1 office and a pantry
- 1st floor has about 8 rooms
- 2nd floor has 4 rooms
- outside kitchen which isn’t far off the main villa
- backyard that extends over 10 meters from the villa entrance and 10 meters from villa backdoor
- Almost every room has an access point (all of them with the same SSID throughout the whole villa)
- Every room has at least 2 ethernet wall output
My main concern is reach! I already installed smarthings in my own apartment which is around 2600sq/f with only 1 device not reaching the hub so with my father’s villa I don’t think a single hub will suffice.
Furthermore I want to install Logitech harmony to all rooms that have a TV (about 4 or 5). Budget isn’t a problem but I’m looking for efficiency and smoothness. If possible I’d like to have a single account for everything.
So my course of action is:
Get a smartthings hub then use extenders, but how would this work on multiple floors? (all walls are concrete)
Is it possible to get multiple hubs with the same account? Can I use extenders from Z-wave/Zigbee through ethernet cables? Are there any type of wireless access points that also extend z-wave/zigbee signals?
As for the harmony solution, what options do I have to integrate with Smartthings for over 5 media rooms?