Smartthings controlled chandelier lift?

Not familiar with mimo2, let me look it up

Just to be clear after the set time has elapsed (say 1 minute) the circuit will shut off via relay 1A?

Yep, and if the two controls share a wire together, you donā€™t even need the additional relays. Do you have a schematic of the key control? Or the buttons, whatever works?

Depending on your area, this might need a permit. Iā€™ll bet the inspector will pass this right away!

I would use a MIMO2,connect L (line) to COM1, connect NO1 to S1, connect NC1 to COM2, connect NO2 to S2. I would assume the relay 1A must be controlled by the range limiters?

Yeah, pass them with flying colors LOL

Last I checked retractable extension cords are UL listedā€¦Maybe putting a plug on a chandelier isnā€™t but nothing wrong with the extension cord.

Retractable, but manually operated. How about automatic, unattended operation? Lots of things can go wrongā€¦ maybe some insulated telescopic rods? What happens if the cord gets tangled? Will the motor stop?

1 Like

My 2 Cents, if youā€™re going to go through the trouble to set up this mechanical winch and all itā€™s complexities, run a set of wires down a wall and put in a switch that you operate with manually or even with a key.

This is not SmartThings material.

1 Like

For your inspirationā€¦

Yup, I hung a 10 grand tv off some shit I built in my garageā€¦
So I say go for it man!

3 Likes

Will use a double pulley setup which should prevent the chandelier from rotating, also can add an adjustable circuit breaker on the hoist if needed.

I actually have the larger model of the hoist I plan on buying, when I get a chance I will tear it apart and let you know. From the looks of it, they do share a a wire together, but it looks like I will have to split it up into 2 identical but separate relays.

This is how I initially felt, but I know that if I go this route I will either not be able to see how close the chandelier is to the floor (requiring another personā€™s help) or I will have to run at least 50ā€™ of 4 wires to my basement and back up to where I can see the chandelier. Also with manual operation I am worried about raising it to high damaging my ceiling, where a limit switch will always stop it at the right spot.

You can have limit switches without smartthings.

I can see ST on a TV lift, but the chandelier is operated whatā€¦ once every 6 months and itā€™s for cleaning, so not sure Iā€™d want ST involved.

You do know that ST has inexplicably fired switches connected to it that had absolutely no automatons on them?

That makes me want to buy more hoists lol. What did you use to connect it to ST? Any diagrams?
Thanks!!

Yes this is true. Iā€™m aware it is only used for maintenance. My main reason for involving ST is so I dont need to run the wires while avoiding help from others (making it a 1 person job), also avoiding getting messy in the attic (blown in insulation).

Like my beveradge fridge turning off at 1am on its own with no automations on it? Twice?! No way, canā€™t happenā€¦

1 Like

A warm beer sounds a lot worse than a lowered chandelier!

1 Like

The actuators are in a closed loop system with adjustable limit switches controlled by an arduino with a st thing shield brings it into st land.
I donā€™t have any pdf docs, just a half ream of scribbles buried in the garage. The arduino and thing shield have been rock solid, Iā€™ve never had to reboot it.
Thereā€™s a little more info hereā€¦

1 Like

Thanks!! Iā€™m not too familiar with arduinos but this is a great start!