"SmartThings Classic" vs "SmartThings (Samsung Connect)"

Hopping they will release the Hub-connected documentation before!

1 Like

We can always hope.

My guess would be that they will insert ALL SmartThings email addresses into the hopper that haven’t already been migrated. This equates to how that Migration Banner will show up when you open the app.

Then the migration script when you invoke it, will have you create / login to your existing or new Samsung account and then it does it’s magic behind the scenes and transitions everything into the Samsung account so that everything becomes available in the new app (Samsung version of SmartThings new) and the script ends. There isn’t too much to that portion of things. However there are some quirky bugs that happened during beta such as favorites disappearing, repositories being deleted. Supposedly some of that has been resolved with the 3 different beta phases they did.

If you get an email the night before, you will be lucky. :slight_smile:

Did you lose Device Handlers and Smart Apps?

No, nothing that dramatic. All SmartApps and DHs remained in tact. Just the repos for everything got stripped and basically we had to create all the repositories again and insert them back into the SA and DHs. Tim stated that they had addressed that though during or after Beta phase 3.

2 Likes

I only got my ST hub in November and so I was automatically given a Samsung account rather than a ST account - hence I can use both the new and ‘classsic’ apps with the same account.

First thing I notice - custom device handlers are not supported in the new app.

I had a chat with support and sure enough they confirm custom DTHs are not supported. Then it starts to get a bit scary, when they start using language like “For now the SmartThings Classic app is here to accommodate custom SmartApps and DTHs” - it’s the “For now” bit which worries me. Is the ‘Classic’ app going to disappear one day and with it support for our custom DTHs?

The person I was chatting to tried to reassure me that they wouldn’t want to alienate the developer community - but they also said that feedback from users would be guiding their decisions. So I guess it’s up us - get on the Smartthings support page, scroll to the bottom and give feedback about what is important to us!

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us

For me, the main reason I chose the ST platform was its openness. I’m sure I can’t be alone in that.

3 Likes

This I agree with, however …

Your question has been asked in the forum by many people in multiple threads and the answer is out there.

Nope, you’re not alone. Again, this has been stated by many many folks.

2 Likes

But we are still likely fewer than 5% of all SmartThings customers.

4 Likes

Ok. And the answer is?

1 Like

But, we are the ~5% that tell the 95% what to buy when asked…and the 95% definitely does ask us for advice. My brother, father, and about 5 coworkers wouldn’t have a ST hub were it not for my advice and guidance. If Samsung doesn’t make this a smooth transition for the 95%, they will lose a huge chunk of those users too. (And history tells us this will NOT be a smooth transition!)

3 Likes

Thought you would all get a kick out of this. Here are the permissions required on Android (SmartThings - Samsung Connect)

3 Likes

So if this impending doom is so obvious to “us”, why is Samsung proceeding as they are?

To reiterate:

• The importance of influencers in this age of social media and rapid technology changes is no secret.
  • Access to skilled and high quality observers from this Community is trivial and free.
  • Best practices for product management in the consumer tech industry are well known and Samsung can afford to hire the best.

Conclusion:

I can’t but conclude that we simply aren’t considered to be a critical part of the Samsung SmartThings strategy and thus have not been capable of recognizing or comprehending what that strategy is.

If strategy is “X”, then SmartThings’s execution might make perfect sense.

4 Likes

So… everything’s going to be okay?

5 Likes

:joy: That’s pushing it.

5 Likes

Check out hubitat

1 Like

I’ve got a huge eye on Hubitat…

I am using hubitat also. Everything seems to respond so much faster.

1 Like

So far it’s pretty nice. They are still working out some of the kinks but I like what they have so far. Probably the nicest feature is being able to backup and download you hub.

2 Likes

Have you found it to have enough customizability? (new word) I have a number of custom device handlers - how do you handle that with Hubitat?

Will WebCoRE work with Hubitat? lolz just kidding. :laughing:

No one has ported it over officially, but there is a couple of posts where people have been known to get it to work. I hear it’s a ton of code. It does have a rules engine called Rule Machine. Rule Machine was a predecessor to CoRE which was a Predecessor to WebCoRE.

Basically all of the devices I’ve tried to pair so far have worked and now run locally. Even the ones that I had a custom device type for.

1 Like

Well that’s freakin’ impressive.

2 Likes