Smarthings, the public or private clouds

Hi all,

I’ve browsed around, and while a few questions have been posted a while back about the cloud requirement (Internet Down, Nothing Works?), local vs. remote apps, what happens when there’s no internet, and the mission that ST has to provide a better overall solution to handing IoT, while I’m trying out ST as it stands right now, I feel that having a public cloud-only management solution is a pretty big problem.

I get that the completely ST-controlled nature of the current solution removes the burden of installing/managing the whole set of devices for end-users, but relying on a third party (being ST, from my point of view) to manage everything, is a problem because it makes the consument completely dependent on ST’s cloud software update cycle, and their own problems at maintaining the whole solution (e.g. the OSRAM issues during the last few days).

I for one, for many reasons, and security being the first of concerns, do not enjoy having something that controls too much of my house that I cannot troubleshoot myself, or completely isolate from the outside world. Think CCTV, albeit at the expense of not being able to control my lights from my phone.

Another reason is ST pulling the plug on Hub devices and services, and call me paranoid or pessimistic all you want, but Pebbles consumers don’t like this. And I have not seen ST charge anything for their online services yet.

If I were to suggest a technical solution, I’d be completely fine by managing my own ST deployment via Docker containers in a private cloud, or anything like that. While it’d still be a black box (though I don’t enjoy this much either), but it’d allow me to manage almost everything myself (and revert to something that works if need be).

Anyways, the public-cloud thing is a strong trend to beat, though @internetofshit is good a reminder of all that may happen because of that.

Thoughts, anyone ?

Thanks for reading out :slight_smile:

It’s been a discussion from the beginning, but the short answer is that some home automation systems are primarily cloud-based, like SmartThings, and some are primarily local, like Vera, and each has pluses and minuses. There are also a number of other systems in both categories, again, each with their own pluses and minuses.

You just have to choose the one that works best for you, it’s unlikely that the corporate development philosophy for any one is going to change anytime soon.

1 Like

The option of actually running and maintaining one’s own “cloud” (whether it something portable (like Docker container…) on an Amazon or Google Cloud, or a LAN device as simple as a high-end RPi), there is still a certain line of complexity and/or costs that SmartThings and their target market is not interested in venturing into.

SmartThings is aimed at the true “mass-market” for HA … the market that Amazon managed to sell 6 million Alexa/Echo/Dot units to. The vast majority of Samsung phone are not “rooted” or “modded” … and Samsung envisions HA to be equally “average consumer” focused.

Is there a hybrid model? Of course… Build a Hub & platform that can run disconnected for a long time with many features … i.e., the entire “purpose” of Hub V2. Isn’t quite … optimized yet (by far…), but the hardware is in place (or prototyped for Hub V3, perhaps…).

I’m still im(patiently) waiting for the day I can download my entire IDE and all associated dependencies onto a thumbdrive and actually make use of those USB ports on the back of hub