Smart things not connecting

Nope. Back offline.

Couldn’t get in to the app to turn of monitor when I got home so of course I caused an alarm…Now I keep getting texts and push notice reminders because I can’t get in to the dashboard to take care of it.

I’m about to jump ship. If I do it goes back to BestBuy and I demand they take it back. They won’t but it will hopefully make someone notice.

Anyone know a good hub that will work with my 21 sensors and other switches and bulbs?

As I’m replying it cleared up. Hmm, interesting. Al in all it took 5 hours to be able to get in to the app.

Chill out. They’re in the middle of an outage, and things will return to normal. I’ve gone up and down over the last 45 minutes - that is an indication that they’re working on it.

1 Like

Actually, throwing capacity at a problem like this pretty standard practice for mass scale cloud service like this. It’s cheap and gets users up and running whilst you figure out the spike.

I work for one of the top cloud services, it’s exactly what we do.

Ben

4 Likes

How much standby capacity do companies put aside for this? Or is it “rented” from someone like Amazon Cloud?

Either you build on Amazon AWS (SmartThings) or Microsoft Azure and, presuming you built your service correctly, it’s how much you’re prepared to spend. IMHO, no start-up should be building their own datacenter these days.
If you’re a big software company, like Microsoft, Facebook, Google, you’re probably talking 300% capacity. This allows you to fail over, during a maintenance window, and still handle your peak load.

1 Like