Smart Plugs— what’s your favorite? (2019)

If you enjoy tinkering like I do, it’s not work. YMMV

**Edit - fixed typo

1 Like

Hopefully the Github stuff is clear. This is on the backs of others who did most of the hard work before.

Agree with you 100%. This whole ST thing is what I do for fun.

BTW, the round TMRLife ones in my Github readme are my favorites. Don’t pay 69.99 for them, though. There’s other sellers with the same model on Amazon. The led ring is RGB and I use it as a night light. I control them as 2 separate devices in SmartThings. One for the night light and one for the plug. They don’t have energy monitoring like the SP201, but they’re still fun.

I do like to tinker with some of my hobbies but, in this case, I’m leaning toward devices that are plug & play. Maybe down the road I’ll tinker. :wink:

That plug and play concept is how I approached the home automation and IRIS conversion.

There are developers out there, and that is Fantastic! Everyone needs a hobby. Myself I prefer to use off the shelf devices and stay away from anything that requires custom code to run them.

2 Likes

Exactly! I’m also concerned that, with the ongoing changes to the ST platform, the ability to use various custom code could change. I already spent a lot of time setting up a system (Iris) only to have my work undone.

1 Like

Well, it was a beautiful sunny day so I decided to make the drive to Ikea and save the 9 bucks on shipping. Driving home with my 4 new zigbee plugs I got popped for speeding. So much for saving 9 bucks! :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Haha, you gotta laugh about that. Hope your weekend gets better.

It is ironically funny and the officer did give me a break but it’s my first ticket since the 1980’s. Fines have gone up like everything else!

I recently ordered 3 Peanut Zigbee outlets which were very easy to setup and use with my Smartthings hub. I just plugged the Peanut device into a wall outlet, selected “Add Device” in my Smartthings App (Classic), and it came up as a “SmartPower Outlet” device. Super simple and they worked great.

The only negative is the size of these devices. The Peanut is rather large, so check the dimensions before you order one for your application.

For me, the IKEA Tradfri plugs as they work well and are cheap. And they meet my requirements.

#1. Compatible with SmartThings.
#2. Turn power on, and off to small devices like lamps.
#3. Act as a ZigBee repeater to improve the ZigBee mesh network.

A bit bulky though, they block outlets… I typically pair them up behind the headboards by chaining them off of inexpensive surge supressor outlet strips. Provides some lightning / surge protection and more outlets…

Pairing was simple and direct.

There are 3 areas that are of some concern for me on this but not enough to override the budgetary concern.

#1. Like I mentioned above, these things are bulky and block outlets. There are plenty of other smart plugs that don’t do this.
#2. They lack any means of monitoring power usage.
#3. There is no way that I know of to do OTA firmware updates directly in SmartThings. They have to be unpaired, paired to a Tradfri hub, updated, unpaired and repaired to SmartThings…

From a features perspective the Iris 3rd gen is awesome but discontinued and expensive so not an option… I am seeing them on Ebay and the average seems to be about $45.00!

I’ve got to get 3 energy monitoring plugs to keep my harmony controlled devices synced, are there any suggestions for that short of the no longer available Iris units? And if energy monitoring weren’t a concern, what’s the goto plug now? Curious for any feedback.

1 Like

Sylvania/OSRAM

@adiventure This is exactly what I’m looking for at the moment for my harmony devices. I was very close to pulling the trigger on the IKEA plugs but for some reason decided to check if they report power usage right before I bought them and so glad I did. I thought for sure they would but at that price point I get why it doesn’t. I may still get some just to use as repeaters though. Have you found anything for power monitoring at a reasonable price that’s not wifi?

Currently I’m just using the no longer made Iris plugs, which work fairly well. That being said you’d have to get them on eBay or the like, and prices seem to be soaring.