Smart Lights - Feature Requests

OK, I like the new Smart Lights app. It can do a lot that other community apps do. Now, onto the feature request!!!

Add Lux sensor options
Adding the ability to use a lux sensor (even if it is just the generic weather) would go a long way to making the lights truly “smart.” :smile: For example, the option to only execute if the lux is below a certain threshold.

Different levels for different dimmers
This is very much needed. If I turn on 4 dimmer switches, I might not want them to all turn up to the same level. Theres a great SmartApp called Dim and Dimmer that does this. https://github.com/statusbits/smartthings/blob/master/DimAndDimmer.md

10 Likes

Add back the ability to set a light to turn off after a specified period of time without needing a motion or contact sensor. This existed in the old shortcut groups.

One example already given in the forums: specific person arrives at home, entry light turns on for five minutes, then turns itself off. No sensors other then the arrival sensor.

10 Likes

I also want an ability to run lighting automations from Routines. Both the Routines and the SL have an ability to control lights (which is somewhat confusing) and both are severely limited because you cannot set dim levels for different lights individually.

A better approach would be to concentrate all lighting controls in Smart Lights rules and have an option to execute them from the Routines.

3 Likes

Most definitely this gets one of my votes!

I would also add back the ability to turn off after motion detected without the need to have it turn on with motion first.

2 Likes

This next one just looks like a bug. It’s a feature we had was shortcut groups and is now missing.

The following poster has a situation where the bedroom lights get left on. So they want the light to turn off after a set time interval with no motion.

In smart lights, you can do this, but only if you also originally turn the light on with a motion rule. You can’t have them turn on say at a specific time, but then have them turn off with no motion for a specific time.

I misread the use case the first time, this is one where you really have to pay attention to the exact details or you’ll miss the problem.

2 Likes

My requests:
1- add delay value for turn off when motion stops (without the motion on requirement)
2-add when “someone leaves” to the presence options, currently only everyone leaves is available
3-add luminosity triggers, sunrise/sunset and time triggers are of limited value where I live.

9 Likes

Thought I would create a section for feature requests for the new Smart Lighting Automation utility.
I must say that I like it, I like it very much.
My wish list:
1- add delay value for turn off when motion stops (without the motion on requirement)
2-add when “someone leaves” to the presence options, currently only everyone leaves is available
3-add luminosity triggers, sunrise/sunset and time triggers are of limited value where I live.

1 Like

Another feature that would be incredibly useful would be the ability to add exceptions. For example: turn a light on with motion except when a contact sensor is closed. Currently exceptions can be included as time ranges and modes, but broadening the options would be a very handy feature.

9 Likes

Add the ability to set brightness, color, and saturation for each hue bulb in a scene. Right now you can only set all bulbs in that app as the same color.

3 Likes

I tried to find the triple like button for this one, but I could only find the single like button…damn.

4 Likes

@GuyInATie - have you tried @obycode’s SmartRules app? (Link) It’s a REALLY, REALLY great tool to do all sorts of things like this, well beyond lighting. But, I do wish ST had some of this functionality built-in. I’ve been saying for months that they should just hire @obycode and be done with it already! :smile:

5 Likes

I like smartRules as well. I wish smartThings had something similar integrated, because troubleshooting things becomes more complicated if you have a combination of smart apps and smartRules.

2 Likes

I would like to turn off lights after a period of time and also add a time delay to (only) turn off lights with a motion sensor after the sensor senses no motion. This delay can be added when motion stops if the original command of the app was to turn on with motion. It just seems to be forgotten to be added to the motion stop setting.

3 Likes

For the Osram tunable bulbs, color temperature changes should be an option in addition to just dimming (similar to how the Hue bulbs let me change the color).

Like others, I would appreciated a time-based auto-shutoff. This capability has been implemented when the trigger is at a specific time, and should be an available option for all triggers. Personally, I’d use it in association with the presence trigger (using phones to detect presence), where I have the porch light turn on only if someone arrives after sunset/before sunrise.

The other requests for presence detecting “someone leaves” and exceptions would also be useful.

I was able to work around the “someone leaves” issue by setting up the same “goodbye” action for each person individually.

Is there a workaround for the auto-off capability?

2 Likes

Found another I currently use in Lights & Switches:

• Turn on at a specific time but off at sunrise

You can’t do that in Smart Lighting today. If the on trigger is a time, the only off option is also a time.

7 Likes

Agree. Triggering needs to be more flexible. Also, need ability to set each dimmer level individually and with more granularity than 10%. Have I already mention that?

5 Likes

Amen to that. I have some regular CREE LED bulbs that when combined with an Evolve dimmer, are still pretty bright until they get really low. Being able to go to 5% would be awesome!

2 Likes

I just use autoDimmer, lights turn on by whatever means, this sits on top and changes the levels based on external lux settings, these can also be set per dimmer…

1 Like

A lot of folks have mentioned that… as far back as 1.0. In fact, much of what is being asked for in this thread was asked for with the original round of official smart apps. It was all pretty much ignored then, and has been ignored in 2.0.

So… it would appear that ST wants to keep it simple (although I’m not sure a list of ten choices for brightness is simpler than just entering a number). Since they are not listening, we’ll have to continue to do what we’ve always done.

2 Likes