Rule Machine > Smart Lighting

So I was trying to determine why my closet light was taking 10 seconds to come on after I opened my door. First I was troubleshooting ZWave mesh issues, but then I decided to remove the Smart lighting rule and replaced it with a Rule Machine rule and WOW, it works so much quicker. I then did the same thing with my garage light and noticed an immediate performance boost.

Now…I am on a v1 hub. Technically, I can’t understand how Rule Machine is accomplishing the same task better than a native app? Does anyone know why?

There are many reasons why certain code might be more efficient than other code in specific situations. RM might be faster for you, and Smart Lighting might be faster for someone else.

Technically, there’s no difference between Smart Lighting and RM. They are both “native” apps written with the same tools. It’s just that the developers took those tools and built different apps.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t venture to call them identical, until you see the code, which you cannot with Smart Lighting. Smart Lighting is super fast with v2 thanks to the local processing, but v1 doesn’t have that capability, so I would question its performance from that perspective.

I just meant that the underpinnings are the same. They’re both written in Groovy with (almost entirely) the same access to the services of the ST platform.

We know they take different approaches… Smart Lighting does not use state variables to the extent that RM does.

1 Like