Rule Machine - Get peer assistance here with setting up rules

Closed on the new place on Monday… I am so tired my eyes are crossing. Yet, I could not wait to start installing some of the ST stuff I have bought. I don’t know if it is just I am so tired, or so dumb, but I can not get a simple rule to work…What I want is for my hall light to come on, and stay on for 1 minute if there is motion detected in the hall between 7am and 9pm. I am so tired, I can not seem to get a screen shot to load. but, “Select conditions”, I have my 3 motion detectors… any active… (FALSE)… Select Actions for True, I have Dim entry light: 50. Restrictions … only between 7m and 9pm … so where is the one minute turn off if no motion option??? … OR am I just totally going in the wrong direction… thanks.

Step one - take a nap
Step two -
Conditions - motion sensors active, time between 7am - 9 pm
Rule - motion sensors active AND time between 7-am - 9 pm
Actions for true - dim hall light to 50%, pending off: hall light, cancellable: 1 minute
Actions for false - leave blank

Would someone mind taking a look and let me know a reason why this is not working. With the ST outages, it makes it hard to know if its my logic or ST.
Thanks

sorry they got posted out of order. What I am trying to do is simply change my mode from Night to Home.

It looks good to me. Go through each part of the rule and make sure everything is checked. Actually see the check box, not just the text in the line.

You could also try deleting and rebuilding it.

Most likely is ST being super awesome again!

Please correct me if I misunderstood @bravenel when we discussed this yesterday in another post.
As I understood it, if you use a time in the condition, won’t it only register a motion if it happens at 7am or 9pm. As opposed to using time as a Restriction between those two times?

Thanks. I had suspected it was ST. I have a Wemo light switch which will not come back on line for nothing. I suspect its also ST. Really hard to trouble shoot with ST uncertainty.

No, this rule will only evaluate true between those hours. From 7am to 9pm that condition is true. Every time the motion sensors detect motion they will go active, making that condition true. When all conditions are true, the rule evaluates as true (the rule is evaluated every time there is a rule truth change, false → true and true → false)

Try it… You’ll see it works.

Wemo sucks with ST. I have two switches I don’t use. Wanna buy them? I’ll give you a good deal.

Ok, Im going to have to play with conditional time vs the restriction time so I fully understand it. @jgirvine’s setup sounded like something I would try. But I was having trouble picturing it. I’d like to see a screen shot from RM on that.

Using the option of between two times does the same thing as the restrictions. You are basically making the rule only work from time A until time B. If it’s any time before A or after B, then the rule does nothing.

What are you wanting to see a screen shot of?

I reluctantly ordered a GE one today. (Reluctant only to spend the money) but in the end it will be better as it sits next to a GE switch. So the Wemo will just have to get moved to the garage. hehe
I think I’ll let you keep the Wemo’s. The only reason I bought it was Echo integration. I actually prefer my Leviton’s but wish they had the press up for on down for off like the GE’s.

If you use the time option in a trigger or a conditional trigger, the rule will only fire at that specific time, and no other.

In a rule, it is active all of the time between A and B.

Here is the link to my discussion with Bruce. Its a short thread, close to the bottom is when I asked about the difference and where I got or still am confused.

My advice, do this…

Create a rule to turn on a light. Use one condition the first time.

Then do it again with the other.

Hands on and seeing it in action will explain it better than I ever can in writing.

You won’t hurt anything experimenting… Probably…

LOL… thanks… will try it as soon as I finish installing an under cabinet light. Husband said the same thing… NAP!!.. but I lay there and think of all I need to do and end up getting back up… sigh… thanks again

1 Like

LOL. Probably. That’s what I figured I would do. I could drive my family nuts with this stuff. They love it when I experiment with lights in the main living areas. I think I will get an iris, GE bulb and sit in a closet.

Don’t feel bad… I’ve actually done that… More times than I will freely admit.

Ok, I think I’ve finally got this figured out and I need some help testing it. I posted this above, but made some edits. So, I’m just posting the link to the post above here.

If anyone is willing to set this up and test it for me I would appreciate it. I’ve seen this asked about multiple times and I’ve been working on it for a while.

Please give me some feedback. Thanks.

I call this rule “Doggy Door”

ps… set up the rules in the spreadsheet, there are a total of 5.

Really sorry if this has been asked before but cant work out what to search for to narrow down this massive post.

I’m wanting to get an alert if the power usage on one of my plug sockets goes below a certain level for a set amount of time.

Basically I’ve got a plug plugged into a washing machine, so when the power level returns to near 0 - its done. However it goes to 0 during the wash as it switches cycle types.So dont want false alarms if it returns to 0 for a couple of minutes - only once its complete. Oh and only send the one, dont want anything n the middle of the night because it isnt using any power.

Kraeg

You can set the switch to turn off after a delay of X, pending cancellation. That should reset the timer after your specified delay and the rule should resume.