Rule Machine - Get peer assistance here with setting up rules

I have a rule that simply uses my iphones as a presence detector and disarms SHM when it detects presence if it’s armed (away). This is working, but I get 2 notifications that the system was disarmed each and every time…is there a way to turn on debugging or something to see what’s happening?

I need some help please. Trying to get away from using modes and using times instead. Anyway, that can be done or am stuck with using modes. As you can see, there is a 10 min delay before going into sleep mode if there is no motion. During sleep mode the light stays on for 1 min. Can this be done without using modes? Having a hard time trying to figure this out.

Currently I have this setup with using modes.

Rule - Change to Night Mode
Condition: Present, Time between Sunset and Sunrise, Mode in [Away, Home]
Rule: Present & Between times & in Modes
True: Set Mode to Night

Rule - Night Auto Light
Condition: Mode is Night, Bedroom Motion Active
Rule: Mode is Night and Motion active
True: Dim Light A to 40, Dime Light B to 40
False: Delay by 25 minutes(cancel), Turn off Light A, Turn off Light B

Rule - Change to Sleep Mode
Condition: Mode is Night, Bedroom Motion inactive, Time between 11:30pm to Sunrise
Rule: Mode is Night & Motion inactive & between times
True: Delay by 10 minutes(cancel), Turn off Light A, Turn off Light B, change mode to Sleep

Rule - Sleep Auto Light
Condition: Mode is Sleep, Bedroom motion active
Rule: Mode is Sleep & motion active
True: Dim Light A to 5
False: Delay by 1 minute(cancel), turn off Light A

Delays are broken right now, I wouldn’t program anything unless I had to… That’s just me.

1 Like

@bamarayne Doggie Door Light update

Thanks to Jason and his perseverance, he nailed it

Open door, light comes on, close door (light stays on)
Dog returns some mins later, open door and when the door is closed, light goes off

In my case, in the morning, my golden usually goes out one door and in another door for breakfast so I have this setup to monitor 3 different doors and it works perfectly.

Thanks again Jason
Rick

What do you mean? Mine are all working fine.

Is it new programming?

Ok, I’m trying to understand what exactly you are asking for. I understand you want to get away from modes? If you don’t mind me asking, why? What problems are you having with modes and these rules?

I have some ideas of what the problems might be, but would rather hear it straight from you.

Also, on the delays, are you using the first option in the actions page “delay”? Or are you using the pending off located in the control switches page?

Please give me as much detail as you can about what is going wrong and what it is you want it to do.

Please feel free to pm me if you don’t want everything public.

@Toy4Rick, glad it’s working good for you. There’s still one last thing I’m trying to figure out on this scenario. As I get time I’ll figure it out.

I’m just being careful and concerned. A new user implementing a new app could get bit. Don’t know what is affected completely, I just know the problem isn’t fixed yet and it’s about delays.

1 Like

Thanks for the response. I want to get away from modes because lets say you have a few people in the house that want to use modes but can’t. Example, night mode enables at sunset, but what if someone else wants a movie time mode at the same time for another purpose.

So im trying to see if I can use another solution then using modes in general for the rules I posted.

Im using the delay in the first option’s action page.

FWIW I would build modes first for the general state of the house then allow for scenes or areas to have different states.

For instance my house in night mode still allows certain activities but not others. In maintenance mode, none. Etc. At any time someone can switch on a movie setup in the basement because that isn’t a mode. Modes are general overall house states.

I find modes very useful, even though they could be improved.

1 Like

I agree with Brian. Think of each mode as a completely separate smart home.

I also use modes, I have six of them.

Everything runs as a subroutine based on the mode. For example, my master bedroom does different things according to the mode.

Also, in the past I found that having a mode change on a rule with other actions was never reliable…

I do mine like this…

I have a virtual momentary tile button for each mode. This is my failsafe backup. If a mode fails to change, I can initiate it manually.

I have a trigger for each mode.

Trigger - time or the virtual switch
Action - set mode

I then have my routines for things that I want to occur at the start of each mode.
Each of these is a trigger as well.

Trigger - mode becomes x
Actions - does stuff

Then everything else will do things based on the mode. In the evening I like the lights softer, so they are set to a max dim level unless I override it.

Once your modes are running correctly you might find that they are very useful.

If you want I can post screen shots of my mode rules.

2 Likes

Yes please, i’d like to check your mode rules.

Ok, i guess i’ll stick wih my current setup.

This is my day/Weekend Day mode and routine.

One mode (Day) is triggered when the rule is evaluated true. The other mode (weekend day) is triggered when the rule is evaluated false.

Since this is a conditional trigger, I use three days of the week as my conditions. I get two modes from one rule.

This is the day/Weekend Day Routine that is triggered by the mode change. Again, one rule is used to control two routines.

One routine is actions for true, the other is actions for false.

When I was using the ST routines to change modes it hardly ever worked. If I put a mode change into a routine, even in rule machine, it was unstable. Once I separated into this format, I’ve missed maybe between 5 - 10 mode changes in the last four or five five months. I honestly stopped counting because it had been so stable.

1 Like

I’m looking to figure out what the most reliable way is to temporarily disable a rule. Here’s the scenario:

I have a rule that automatically locks my front door when closed. What I want to do, is create a way to disable this, so that way when we have a party at the house, people aren’t being locked out.

My initial thought was to create a “Party” mode and if the mode is currently set to “Party”, disable the rule. However, I’m not seeing a way to do that. I only see a “Switch to Disable” or “Only run when Mode is,” which is the opposite of what I’m looking for.

So, how would you execute something like this?

Thanks!

Select Only run when mode is “Disabled” (create a new mode called Disabled). Never put your system into that mode, and that rule is then disabled until you remove the mode restriction.

1 Like

Create “party mode”
In the “only run when mode is” check the bcc fit every mode except party mode.
The rule will now run, unless the house is in party mode.

@bravenel @bamarayne

Thanks the suggestions. Thinking more about it, I’m trying to now find a way to control this via Alexa. So, while we are getting ready for visitors, I can say “Alexa, turn on Party Mode”. This way I have voice control of the override.

Would it be more efficient to create the mode and then tie the mode to a VS? Or should I create a VS and just use “Switch to Disable”? I’m not 100% sure on how the switch to disable is used so I’m a little confused about it.

Thanks!

Jason helped me create a virtual switch called party disable for my doors and push notification. So I turn on that VS and I do not get all the alerts of people running in and out. Works like a charm.

This is how I would do it…

Create a virtual switch called party mode.

Create this rule in rule machine -

Conditions - virtual switch on
Rule - virtual switch on
Actions for true - set mode: party mode, adjust thermostat, more people means house is warmer), turn on deck lights, turn on party lights, pretty much whatever I want to happen in this mode.
Conditions for false - set mode: party clean up mode, turn on all of my lights, turn off music, stuff like that to help with clean up.

Depending on how you have the system change modes, I use rule machine, I would have this virtual switch disable all other mode changes when on. You don’t want an unexpected mode change to occur in the middle of the party. Disable rules that turn lights off/on in common areas of the pastry.

Authorize Alexa control of the virtual switch and just tell her to turn on party mode.

I use a trigger rule to change my modes. I have a momentary virtual switch as a manual option as well.

So, earlier this week I posted about us moving into a new place and how tired and dumb I was…with your help I got my hall working…but…today husband has a hissy fit. We have a very long dark hall. I installed a GE dimmer wall switch. I set up a rule that if any of 3 motion detectors have motion the hall light comes on for 1 minute at 20%. Working great…till…husband is working in the utlity closet in that hall. 20% is not enough light to work…he keeps turning on the switch on the wall and upping the brightness, but rule machine kept turning it either off or dimming it. So how do you temporarily deactivate a Rule? I ended up deleating the rule. Thanks