Rule machine - as per the app developer, this app is no longer available for new installs, distribution, or support

“Architect” for the parent app
and “Matrix” for the child app

It might just make the new app “The One”. :laughing::wink:

3 Likes

What no one suggested “ruley mc ruleface”

15 Likes

Let’s call it One Ring…

…to rule them all.

2 Likes

These are the next-gen codenames for the ST Platform and SmartApps, respectively. =)

1 Like

I appear to have a Rule running called ‘Away-Both’ that isn’t actually setup as a Rule anymore. I can’t remember if I fully deleted it OR just renamed and resetup the Rule but nevertheless that ST runs it on occasion. Is this considered a Zombie Rule and how do I remove it completely? Thanks.

No, Zombie rules are “headless” where the beginning of the rule has disappeared and you are usually just left with an “action”.

To delete this errant rule, try going into your IDE and removing it from there.

2 Likes

+1 to Ruley McRuleface. All day long.

7 Likes

Doesn’t matter to me what you call it, as I’m pulling out of ST entirely as soon as the Keen Vent hub supports Ecobee temp sensors. The recent performance “improvements” have slowed down my light switches by 15 seconds or so, and I’ve had it. The only reason ST is still in my home is Keen Vent control with Rule Machine, and ST blew that superb application away through their management stupidity.
I’m putting all those nice compact X-10 wall-warts back in, and will exult in having light switches that don’t take 15 seconds.

2 Likes

@EldRitch do you have version 1 or v2 of the ST hub? and are you in the us or other part of the world?

1 Like

Ditto… I never signed up to be a beta-tester for my home automation solution. Certainly feels that way though on every “update with improvements” — I get scared every time I read that kind of statement from ST. There are a lot of professional nerds (and tech managers) here and we all know where this is going and where the problem is. When something gets consumed by the corporate machine, this is what happens. The quality goes south given the politics, lack of proper QA, etc. Costs need to be cut as the $100 price is non-recurring revenue… and we’ll be talking to resources abroad sooner than later.

Hard to find that alternative given ST flexibility but that sadly died with this app. I’m hoping that ST gets it together and releases some semi-equivalent alternative to Rule Machine — not owned/provided by a 3rd party. Bruce’s app is 3 thousand lines of code; there’s no tangible excuse. I hope users continue to put pressure and open cases requesting rule improvements. After enough complaints, it’ll just be easier for ST to code it than having to deal with constant incoming requests for the same thing.

Bummer, i didnt update in time :frowning: not sure if i can use an older version of Rule with a newer version of rule machine. I feel like that would be more unstable? currently on 1.6 for rule but have 1.9 for rule machine.

Watch this instead https://community.smartthings.com/t/core-and-piston-rules-engine-first-design-steps/

4 Likes

R.I.P. Rule Machine. I just moved my last two (non-running) rules and clicked the remove button. Enjoyed your simple and powerful rules, your life was cut too short.

5 Likes

I agree… I still have 7 rules left… just haven’t changed them yet…

[quote=“bridaus, post:4856, topic:28730”]… your life was cut too short.[/quote]Filicide…

would love to hear from @bravenel to see what he’s up to with regards to HA, etc.

Contribution is timeless. Even though no longer in development, still used and inspired new.

Nothing like it previous to the inception.

1 Like

@bamarayne

FYI
This is what rebuilding Smartthings from the ground up and moving things from RM to CoRE looks like.

Multiple instances of Smarthings running side by side on a desktop with mouse/keyboard to make navigation/copy/paste easy.

Nice! How are you running this through a desktop browser?

2 Likes

Magic.

Bluestacks and DuOS, I use both to run android instances on desktops. Which in turn allows me to run Smartthings on a non-mobile device.

EDIT: To clarify, you don’t need both. One or the other will work. Bluestacks was simple to setup. However, you can only run one instance of bluestack on a computer, so if you want multiple smartthings instances you may need both or vmware or some other layer of abstraction.

See above, not remote control, it’s real android on desktop.

1 Like