Rule machine - as per the app developer, this app is no longer available for new installs, distribution, or support

The author found that supporting rule machine was too difficult given the number of instabilities in the base SmartThings platform. SmartThings has since publicly committed to making the stability of their platform top priority, and has reached out to the author of rule machine and acknowledged publicly here in the forums that the issues users were running into were primarily SmartThings issues. We all hope that SmartThings succeeds in stabilizing the platform and that at that time Bruce will consider returning.

5 Likes

I think heā€™s gone for good and I predict another Rule engine will take itā€™s place with a GNU license.

3 Likes

@JZst and @bamarayne

The license is GPLv3, not Apache 2.0 - meaning that it cannot be changed to something else or turned private. Not sure if even I can do it. Itā€™s open source software that has to stay open source. If I am not mistaken, some older versions of RM can be shared, if the license allows it. But then again I may be wrong. But I think the license changed Mar 21st 2016. Anything before that may be available for sharing - any licensing guru around?

I build/test on iOS. I havenā€™t fired it up on Android yet.

1 Like

Not a guru, but I am fascinated (?) with licenses (and hate legal red tape too, ironically).

The Apache 2.0 labeled versions (unless they have clear conflicting instructions labeled somewhere) are certainly ā€œshareableā€. I think the grey area is stuff that could be considered copyright outside the files, like the name ā€œRule Machineā€ and instructions and similar things on the Forum; ā€¦ though I think thereā€™s a terms of use somewhere that says everything that is written directly on the Forum is automatically CCANCSA ā€¦ Apache 2.0! ā€¦

(NB: This is probably old and superseded by SmartThings overall Terms of Use).

https://community.smartthings.com/tos

.3. User Content License
User contributions are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. Without limiting any of those representations or warranties, Physical Graph has the right (though not the obligation) to, in Physical Graphā€™s sole discretion (i) refuse or remove any content that, in Physical Graphā€™s reasonable opinion, violates any Physical Graph policy or is in any way harmful or objectionable, or (ii) terminate or deny access to and use of the Website to any individual or entity for any reason, in Physical Graphā€™s sole discretion. Physical Graph will have no obligation to provide a refund of any amounts previously paid.

@tgauchat I took your advice on choosing the license. I want it to stay free and open source. By the way, GPLv3 does not prohibit asking money for the code, but it will prohibit not providing the source code and there is no restriction on what the buyer can do with said code, effectively rendering any payment ridiculous.

Not ā€œridiculousā€ at all!

GPL Licensed code is used in for-profit products all the time (legally!) usually by charging for compilation & installation tools, bug and security patching tools, and customer support. Check out RedHat and hundreds of other companiesā€¦

Heck, SmartThings is using various OSS in the Hub, etc.

Yeah, I guess the code is not what youā€™d be paying for. Installation and support isā€¦

2 Likes

lol, and how are you predicting this?! ;))

Iā€™m edumacated. And I really appreciate people who give without expecting to receive. I will donate (as I also told Bruce) to anything that saves me time. You are on the right track, keep it going and please lean on this community for support and encouragement. Any time you need it. If I had the time Iā€™d be making a rule engine myself.

PS: thatā€™s what you should call it IMHO. Rule Engine

4 Likes

I use the old ST schedulerā€¦ It sets your schedule perfectly to fire yesterday! Itā€™s a great prediction to when you want to know what is going to happen in the past.

1 Like

Rule Engine for the parent app and Piston for the child app?! :wink:

7 Likes

I say call it ā€œRover.ā€ Or ā€œBillā€ or ā€œGeorgeā€ or anything but something-with-Rule-in-it. Otherwise you will forever be asked questions about code which isnā€™t yours. Just sayinā€™.

2 Likes

The Smartometron 2000?

3 Likes

The Smartometron 2000!! Yeah! And make it have thousands of useless blinking lights like in the old movies! :wink:

5 Likes

Smartometron 2000 is good. Even has a catchy acronym: S2K. Not to be presumptuous, but Iā€™ve already added Smartometron to my dictionary.

3 Likes

SMART-O 4000 would be more fun.

how about Jarvis ?

2 Likes

Well if youā€™re going in that direction, Iā€™d say go for Smart-A$$ 6000. :speak_no_evil:.

4 Likes

So SMART-A$$ 6000 for the Parent and DUMB - A$$ 101 for the child?

5 Likes

I say we call the parent app "2-Monkeys"
and the child app ā€œFootballā€

7 Likes