Rule machine - as per the app developer, this app is no longer available for new installs, distribution, or support

Version 1.9 Released

Major new feature with Periodic schedules as Trigger Event.

See this post:

7 Likes

Hi All,
I have read the user guide and it tells you how to set up a rule in rule machine.
I have successfully set up a rule to turn on a light if it is off and motion is detected and then turn the light off after a set period. The rule will be ignored if the light is already on. It is working as I want it.
In most of the threads I have read, rule machine and rule are mentioned.
Iā€™m now going to ask a really stupid question so please forgive my ignorance.
What should I be using. Rule, Rule Machine or both.
I donā€™t seem to be able to get my head round this.

I await a very simple explanation that appears to have passed me by. :blush:

Rule Machine is the user interface SmartApp to Rule (backend SmartApp that does the work, I believe.)

If you see mention of Rule, it means a rule created IN Rule Machine.

Rule Machine and Rule are whatā€™s called a parent child app. When you use your mobile app to go into Rule Machine under SmartApps, then hit Create New Rule, the Rule you create is a child app of Rule Machine. You give each Rule you create a name, and you can create as many as you want. They will all show up on the main page of Rule Machine.

Any idea what I have done wrong? I am not seeing the option to select rule actions I want to take.

I have seen this before. It looks like you lost part of your application state.

Go into each of your rules and hit Done. That should rebuild it.

See if that works, and let me know.

Hi,
I am still having problems to control multiple thermostats. I seems to work alright, when the thermostats are being triggered by a motion sensor.

During the night time i want speciel temperatures in different rooms - this should happen when MODE is set to NIGHT. Usually one (of five) thermostats will respond to the new heat setting. The others will acknowledge the rule it seems, but the temperature is not being set for some reason :confused:

Here is the rule i have made :

Here the temp is being set :

Her it is not, and it is the same for the rest of the thermostats

Thanks @michaelahess and @bravenel.
I sort of had an idea that this may be thelpful case but was unsure.
Great app BTW and can see me using this app for more complex rules. ST can become addictive. :wink:
As an aside, could rule machine be used to replace Vacation Lighting Director which I find a bit flakey.

1 Like

I went through and hit done on my modest amount (39) rules/triggers/etc. Still I have the same result - no ability to add another ruleā€™s actions to the rule I have in the screenshot above.

I did happen to find more headless rules - which I will recreate later. I have been trying to minimize the changes during this latest dark storm, however this rule is for my wifeā€™s minimote - and that one needs to work!

Thanks for your consideration.

My good morning rule didnā€™t fire today but did yesterday and I havenā€™t touched a thing. If I look at the events on the rule, it ā€œappearsā€ it ran but none of my actions of the rule fired. I put in a support ticket. It appears the backend is till hosed somehow.

Iā€™m not saying I know this is happening, but does your rule have lots of actions? ST kills anything that takes over 20 seconds or so. Itā€™s possible the schedule fired but your actions failed for another reason. Just a thought.

It turns on two switches, shuts off one and changes my mode from Night to Home. I hope that isnā€™t an overload.

It did take 63 seconds to run. So maybe their new cron scheduler isnā€™t what they thought it would be?

Something weird is happening I canā€™t create new rule. Click the new rule and it spins quickly and come back. Few other apps acting weird too. iPhone and IPad

Iā€™m seeing the exact same thing. Donā€™t know what this is. I can get in ok on Android, but not on iOS.

Which other apps are you seeing problems with??

Iā€™m on Android. Been connecting some new bulbs today. Early, I got things in and updated a few things in RM and smarttiles. Took a coffee break. Now I canā€™t get into any apps. I get into them sometimes, but even if I get in the main ST app FCs. Like if I go into RM and choose create new rule, or try to get into a rule, the ST app FCs on me.

What do you mean by ā€œFCsā€?

The Android app has been crashing several times in the last hour. All within Rule Machine. Not saying it is causing it though.

Sorry, Android shorthand, force close. The app gives a notification that it had to close and it fully closes out, (Gotta remember to use the right lingo in te right forumsā€¦ :smiley: )

Ya, it just started doing that for me too. It worked 30 minutes ago.

OK coolā€¦ thatā€™s specifically what I logged on to check. Wanted to see if it was just me or not before I started going full potato on the system