Rule machine - as per the app developer, this app is no longer available for new installs, distribution, or support

I had a similar issue starting yesterday morning. A number of rule-based events were failing. Last night I checked each rule and noticed some of them had missing values, but if I went to set a value (e.g. a condition), the original value was still there. Clicking Done then updated it back to its previous state. I hadn’t updated Rule or Rule Machine since last week, so something else (let me guess, in the cloud) must’ve occurred.

1 Like

Same here, rule was there, but missing some, or all of the settings. Just went into each setting and clicked Done and they all repopulated on their own. Pretty odd.

1 Like

I’ve been using the config you suggested a couple of weeks ago, but I’m wondering if it’d be possible to do all of the following in a single rule.

If outlet(G) is ON, and sensor(A) is Closed turn OFF outlet(G) after 20 mins. If sensor(A) is OPEN, keep outlet(G) ON. Then once sensor(A) returns to a closed state turn OFF outlet(G) after 5 mins. With the cancel option if sensor(A) is opened before the 5 mins.

All I have to say here is… TTS. What an additon and it works flawlessly. Thank you so much. I haven’t got a clue how smartthings are unable to replicate this for their general platform TTS. It’s just amazing. Thank you!

2 Likes

Wow up to 2000 Posts thats impressive.

Obviously there are issues going on with SmartThings today but I can’t tell if this issue is related. I use a hue lamp for notifications. Today it has been showing me the color orange, thus telling me the garage door has been open for 15 minutes.

The Garage door in SmarThings is polling as closed, and when I go into the Rule Machine App, this rule suddenly has not conditions, rules or even actions. But in the IDE I can see that it is looking for a Condition based off of the garage door and I can see previous instances.

I assume this can’t happen because of a smart cloud smart things issue and its just a fluke?

This would be the only instance of wishing we could save the rule some how just so I can remember how it was built!

Thanks!

(running 1.6.6/1.6.12b)

There appear to be widespread problems of this sort. Something is wrong with the ST platform, but I don’t know what.

1 Like

tabbing through all of them beings the native selected input values back.
you can find the ones to investigate by looking at the app in the ide under locations.
This isn’t RM, but something with cached data, on the mobile app or the cloud or something along those lines…

There are a lot of things wrong with the ST platform…we’d likely need another 2000 posts to get through listing them ;-).

I had some hit and miss items this morning, too. Originally I thought it was due to the update, but that’s because I thought today was Thursday.

Do you ever get the feeling that things go to crap really bad right before an announced update?

It kind of reminds me of furniture stores…

Regular price on a table is $1500.00 for 6 months.
It’s then on sale for $1000.00 for 6 more months.
Then back to regular price at $2000.00.
Then comes the of season and prices go up to $2200.00.
And then the year end super clearance sale where everything must go at up to 40% off!!!

So it’s on sale at a huge discount for $1200.00

All for a table that the store bought for $69.99.

This way if everything is horrible then after the update everyone is super happy!

3 Likes

I have a rule in rule machine that I can’t access. The rule worked for a few weeks then stopped. I wanted to look at the attributes, but when I select the rule on my IPad or IPhone from the installed rules list I get the clock and stays in the list of installed rules. I tried to go into the IDE to see if I can delete it or modify it, but I don’t know where to find the rules in the IDE or if they are accessible. Any ideas on how I can access this rule or delete it and re-create it?

In the IDE go to My Locations then scroll down and select List SmartApps, on the page that opens under the picture of your location there is an Edit button. Select it and you should be able to uninstall the rule below.

1 Like

Thank You. Worked great

This fixed it once I figured out what rules to look at… Man that sucks!!!

I am still having other issues but I assume they are cloud or server based as well.

Really a bummer because things had been doing pretty well and instead of some things just not working I actually have to go and redo things because smartthings has changed my actual data in smart apps.

Has this been addressed yet?

If possible, I would like to modify my night-light rules to consolidate the OFF rule into the ON rule.

Right now, I have two separate rules, because I didn’t see a way of putting it all into one rule when I first created them. However, I’ve now been looking at ‘Pending Cancellation’, and want to see if there is a way of using that feature to do what I want.

I want to make it so the light turns on with motion, and then, if no motion happens for 1 minute, it turns the light back off, BUT if motion happens again within that initial 1 minute, it resets the timer for the turn off command.

Is this an appropriate place to use the ‘Pending Cancellation’ option?

I’m imagining it like this…

Condition: Motion Active
Condition: OtherLight is OFF

Actions for Ture:
Turn ON these switches: NightLight
Turn OFF these switches after a delay, pending cancellation: NightLight
Delay: 1 minute
Only Run During Certain Time: Between Sunset and Sunrise

This combination turns the NightLight ON properly with motion detected, but doesn’t turn it off after a minute with no motion.

So, is that because this isn’t what ‘Pending Cancellation’ is for, or am I just doing it wrong?

Question,
if you have a rule like this

• Trigger - contact sensor OPEN

• Action - Delay 10 mins - Send notification

if the contact closes before the delay of 10 mins will it cancel the action?

i’m attempting to make a notification if the front door was left open for longer than 10 mins then send us a notification to close it.

I think what you want to do this as a rule instead of trigger.

Condition: Contact Open
Rule: Contact Open
Action: Delay by 10 minutes send notification pending cancelation

First of all, I am excited to see Sonos TTS integration with RM. I have had to use one of my Raspberry Pi’s, gTTS and the Socos API libraries to get TTS to play when events happen.

I just started to test the TTS in “Rules Machine” with my Sonos system. I noted a few interesting observations that I am experiencing. Is this accurate?

1. RM only plays the designated TTS on only ONE of the Sonos devices that is selected in the RM instead of the all Sonos devices that are in party mode? For example, I have 5 Sonos devices selected in “Party Mode” with the Kitchen Sonos being the lead. If I select the Kitchen Sonos in RM, should it not play the TTS to the group of Sonos devices?
  2. RM deletes the current Sonos playlist queue after playing TTS. Shouldn’t it take a snapshot, play the TTS and then restore the snapshot. For example, restore the playlist queue, volume level, mute, play mode, etc…

Just curious!

@kurtsanders
1-The ST API device doesn’t honor/understand speaker groups.
To get TTS on multiple devices, select multiple devices in the rule list.
2-The currently implemented command in Rule only restores the volume, there aren’t any current plans to extend/change this, though I understand the issue.

have a go at expert custom commands, if you find something that works let us know and we’ll consider changing it. I just don’t have time to investigate that right now.

1 Like

There is nothing to address other than preventing you from doing it. It won’t work, whether or not it is prevented. That will not be changed.