Rule machine - as per the app developer, this app is no longer available for new installs, distribution, or support

The change was so that everyone publishes it and we’re all on the same page. There have been a few people who accidentally publish Rule and then forget to the next time they update and things don’t work right.

This morning I got up to all lights switched on in my house. When I looked at the activity tab for each of the bulbs, I noticed that the Rule that is supposed to fire in the evening fired in the morning.
This is how I am set up

1. I perform “Good evening” and hour before sunset that changes mode to Evening
  2. There is a RM rule that triggers when its Evening and turns on lights in the house
  3. I perform " Good night" and that switches off all lights.
  4. I perform “Good Morning” and hour before sunrise and it switches on just a couple of lights

This morning, Rule in #2 was getting fired when “Good morning” was fired an hour before sunrise.

When I opened the rule up in RM, I noticed it was blank except for the rule name; so no triggers, no conditions and no actions. And it was only this rule that was blank

I then manually turned off the lights and manually trggered “Good Morning” and my lights turned on again. So I thought I’d remove the Rule that turns on all lights in the evening

But I got lucky and before hitting remove, I clicked on Triggers. And as I went in to the triggers page, right there were my triggers. Same with Conditions and Actions. I hit done on each page and my rule was back. And now the problem was gone as well of the lights turning on when I hit “Good Morning”

Just checking to see if anyone else run into the same issue? And if this was a RM issue or maybe a ST issue?

Thanks

I had a few rules today that showed up as blank on the overview - however, selecting triggers/conditions/rules/actions for each of them showed that the data was still there (and re-populated on the overview page after hitting “Done” for each of the subpages).

Something seems to have (at least partially) nuked some of the rules in the cloud…

Would anyone know if their is anyway to use triggers and actions in rule machine, but use pushover for the alerts? The speak message works good but I don’t want to send a push notification to all my devices or a text. I want it to be only by the device. Is this possible?

Same thing I posted last night. My mode switching with a virtual switch was turning on/off but after I went back in to the conditions/actions, everything was working again.

So I’ve run into an interesting mess that I do not know how I got into or how to get out of. I somehow have a rule that has a scheduled job without an associated handler. When trying to edit the rule it throws an error pointing to line 1088 unschedule(). When trying to remove the rule it also throws an error. Both below. Am I right in assuming unschudule() is puking due to null handler? Anyone know of a way to fix this?

error java.lang.reflect.UndeclaredThrowableException @ line 1088
error java.lang.reflect.UndeclaredThrowableException

I had the save thing happen to me. Around 11 or 12 of mine were like that today. I’ve noticed that it seems to occur after an update of rule machine.

I’ve made it a habit to go through every rule I have to refresh it after an update… But now that I’m up to about 50 rules… I haven’t been doing it.

Sorry I’m confused what your talking about. Maybe you hit reply to the wrong person .

I ran into the same problem. The rules and triggers were still working…sortof…they were ignoring my mode conditions. I went into each rule and had to reselect like you to get the data to show up again in the main overview UI. It didn’t affect all my rules, just some of them. I wonder if it’s because these may have been original rules created in an earlier version of rules before it was merged with triggers.

Yeah, I did. Been a long day.

Add me to the boat too. As the night goes on Im noticing that a few rules have not fired. Going into those rules shows all my triggers/conditions/define rule/actions as being blank, but as you all have said going into them shows all the settings and hitting done does the trick. I’m on the second latest rule and android. As an android user this behaviour of going back in and hitting done again while creating rules is normal until ST fixes their app. Rule machine has been flawless and Im sure this is just another hiccup on ST’s backend. Im sure @bravenel will chime in soon, maybe theres something he can do to safeguard this in the future or if its just android users maybe we go buy iphones :wink:

Are you guys on android as well?

I’m seeing this behavior on a completely different app (Ecobee 3) where the scheduling routines (runEvery, unschedule, etc) are all throwing exceptions. My polling stopped at around 4:30 PM today as well. Which is what prompted me to rerun the SmartApp and getting these exceptions.

This happened on my iPhone 6 so I’m starting to think something has gone awry in the cloud.

ahh figures, I was hoping this was just an android glitch. We might have something bigger going on, if its not one thing its another. ST is always keeping us on our toes.

It’s definitely an ST issue… SmartTiles dashboards are down, too.

1 Like

The timed event handler has been having problems for the last 6-7 hours. Failures are about 90% for me now. Apps (not just rule) are blowing up with errors. It is a total mess.

Something somewhere is fishy. This morning, 3-4 of my 20someing rules had blanks for triggers, conditions, everything but the rule title. When I selected the trigger to add it back, it was still there, I just had to hit done and it repopulate do. Fixed them all rather quickly, but that was weird. Anyone have any ideas why?

2 Likes

Only a guess but it appears that the state values in the app got wiped out. Not the apps fault.

I observed something similar. I also noticed today that my “Good Night” Routine was triggering on its own. I had Good Night routine set as a trigger in Rule Machine. I also had Good Evening routine set as trigger. From logs I saw Good Evening was actually triggering Good Night, when there was no link between them.

The Good Evening Redundancy is set to trigger, whenever the Good Evening routine executes.

But since evening, I’ve been having issues where Good Evening would execute and some time later Good Night would execute. I would change the mode manually to Home, but it would trigger Good Night again. Wasn’t able to figure where the problem is.

Is anyone aware of issues with using routines as triggers? For now I have removed all routines as triggers and will monitor closely. It could be an issue with ST .

Not similar, but routines were missed in the morning, but my back up routine did work. Problem was that some of the lights included in the routine actually didn’t turn off…

Thinking of moving those routines to a rule, with redundancy