Rule machine - as per the app developer, this app is no longer available for new installs, distribution, or support

For those interested. I have saved the icons from both Rule Machine and GCal-Search as I designed these for Bruce and Mike. While I have no interest in hosting their code if they have made the decision to no longer provide it, for those that do have the apps already installed, here are the icons locations you can point your code segments to “https://raw.githubusercontent.com/MichaelStruck/SmartThings/master/Other-SmartApps/icons/iconname already in code

Rule Machine:

GCal-Search:

9 Likes

If anyone has the RM code from prior to the license change, that would be helpful in creating a fork/continuing this project. If you have a copy of it where it’s still under apache 2.0 license, speak out…

I have started some new apps in a separate thread that perform a limited subset of functions that don’t rely on application state, thus aren’t impacted by these ST issues. It’s no rule machine replacement, but it covers all my needs (I eliminated RM from my setup)

4 Likes

@slagle Do you have any Intel on being able to fix the platform and get rule machine up and running again

Rule machine is up and running…the platform isnt to its (RM) standards

@Xero whats the app name or link to it??

Yeah, I am trying to gather all the details.

4 Likes

I also have tracked down a copy of rule machine prior to the license change from early january. I think I am good in that front too if they do fix the RM issues - we have code we can make a fork with if Bruce doesn’t pick this back up again.

1 Like

Well done @Xero

The code is replaceable, of course. Either by some intrepid developer starting from scratch, or by forking an old version of RM. But unfortunately, @bravenel is not replaceable. He has been an invaluable resource for this community. The pace of his development on Rule Machine was nothing short of heroic, and I’ve never seen a volunteer developer (on any platform or for any project) provide such timely user-support… all while declining every offer of compensation.

Hopefully the ST folks can rebuild the bridge they burned.

17 Likes

We agree.

5 Likes

Why will Rule Machine (whichever version we have now), stop working when the ST fix comes out? I was hoping that Rule Machine will still keep working.

1 Like

Rule Machine, as it is currently coded, will stop working at some point. Likely because of some platform change. Maybe today… maybe tomorrow… maybe 6 months from now… It’s not guaranteed that this will happen when ST fixes the current database issues, but that wouldn’t surprise me. All software requires constant maintenance to keep it working as operating systems change.

I feel for ya, @slagle… it’s gotta be hard to be left to pick up the pieces.

If nothing else, at least the popularity of RuleMachine and SmartRules have underscored the demand for a proper if/then logic engine on the SmartThings platform. Perhaps relying on volunteer developers for such a core feature isn’t the best path forward? I hope that idea makes it into some internal discussions at ST HQ.

9 Likes

I certainly hope that faith can be restored.

We are looking forward to the news on the details you’ve been collecting.

2 Likes

The recent posts about RM are starting to make me feel a bit edgy. An upgrade ‘could’ make my rules start to fail and I would have to start again from scratch.
My system is working brilliantly 99% of the time and I would recommend this system (well my setup anyway) to anyone who would care to ask my opinion.
From reading posts from other people with all their issues and, what seems to me anyway, the lack of clear resolutions and responses from the ST team, I cannot help but wonder how serious Samsung are about this product.
I for one will not be buying any more Samsung SmartThings products but more generic products that I know will work to other platforms in case ST gets dumped.
A valuable asset to this product has now been lost and I must admit in the early days I thought he was an employee of ST as most of the solutions came from that source.

6 Likes

If I have to delete 62 rules and go back to separate apps that don’t quiet do what I want I might as well start cutting myself now!
@bravenel your code and support were beyond any pay version! Please let ST get their sh*t together and revisit the code. I hope it doesn’t break on a platform change too soon as it will be back to square one with custom apps :frowning: :frowning:

3 Likes

As my wife told me I am too fat and I need to lose some weights. Everybody in the family agreed. Ok now, I can either continues eating the junks or get my butt up and do something about it before I am dead not trying hard enough.

Yes ST, this apply to you too.

2 Likes

Since RM has stopped updating, the worst possible scenario is the RM stop working after the upgrade. You will not be able to start again from scratch.

RM isn’t going to stop working after the platform updates…
All of the current issues that it has are related to a platform bug, this bug is also affecting other apps to a lesser degree.
No need to jump ship right now, wait for ST to announce the updates going out today.
After that, have a look at your zombies, then fix them and see how the week progresses…

3 Likes

ST will be releasing the promised updates today?

ST is completely worthless to me without RM. @bravenel thanks for all you have done. It is sad that you didn’t get the support you needed from a system that advocates in apparently word only for community developers to build on. It should have been a no brainer for this app as popular as it is to go unnoticed for review. It’s a sad day in the community ST world. ST will reap what they sow it appears to me.

I bet it’s coming soon, in the next few weeks, on a Monday.

6 Likes