Room temp set by ecobee3 sensor and time of day?

Hello smartthings geniuses! I need your collective power.

I would like to tell my ecobee3 to set the temp, at a certain time, using a certain tempture sensor, and ignore all others. Does anyone have any ideas on how to do that?

Big thanks!!

Well Chris, I don’t know how to do it but based on what I know about how the Ecobee3 works you will need to do one of couple of things depending on the circumstances.

First, I would assume the room in question will be occupied during this particular time frame. If that is the case then the follow me feature available on the thermostat should accomplish what your looking for. The whole idea behind that feature is to use the sensor in the occupied room to decide if the system should ask for AC or Heat.

However, if that isn’t sufficient to meet your needs then it seems to me you will somehow have to the decision making process out of the hands of the thermostat. That’s the part I don’t have the experience to help you with. Lot’s of smart people in this community though. If I’m not mistaken there has even been a custom device handler written for the ecobee3 though I’m not sure what additional capabilities it might expose.

Take a look here and see if it helps.

1 Like

Hey @PhilB Thanks for commenting this is going to help! So unfortunately I can’t use follow me because the room I am trying to control is my 1 year old and she goes to bed early while we are still up, so the follow me would not work for this application. Her room is sometimes 80 degrees while we are freezing down stairs. So I would like to put priority in her room.

I will take a look at that link perhaps the answer lies in that.

Thanks again!

@Cbohlender,

If you have big temperature disparity between different rooms, you should probably use a smart vent
and create different zones in your home.

Please refer to the following thread for more details:

My Ecobee device is the most comprehensive and feature complete set up for your ecobee thermostat within ST.

My Ecobee Device and related smartapps represent more than 12 000 Lines Of Code, and cover most of the ecobee user’s needs in automation. With Summer approaching, my smartapps allow you to take advantage of any devices connected to your ecobee thermostat: humidifer, dehumidifier, HRV/ERV for free cooling and more…

My zoned heating/cooling solutions allow you to orchestrate your ecobee thermostat with smart vents based on your ST connected temp and motion sensors.

See my github and my store for more details:

Regards.

1 Like