Ring vs Skybell vs Kuna vs?

Has anyone tried a two part system? i.e.:

1. A Foscam or DropCam (probably Fos because of Outdoor) - using “camio” for free cloud storage
  2. A self-made Z-Wave Doorbell (no video) – see the forum link below. Or potentially modifying a SadoTech doorbell with a Z-Wave sensor that triggers when it sends a signal.

http://amzn.to/1JBmNco (FOSCAM)
Z-Wave Doorbell from a Wireless Doorbell + Door/Window Sensor (DIY Z-Bell)
h-t-t-p://community.smartthings.com/t/new-aeon-labs-doorbell/14924/8 (NEW AEON Z-Bell - coming soon)

Seems like Ring and Skybell aren’t really there yet, at least in terms of being a reliable (Extreme Weather Proof) system that combines video and doorbell features. I live in Minnesota (for now) and can’t bring myself to put a $200 Ring or Skybell outside (when it clearly states it’s rated for only down to 24 F).

The more research I’ve done (and after reading this forum), I’m thinking a two part system would be best. It could probably be done for ~$140 total … = $80 (Fos) + $50 (DIY Z-Bell or Aeon) + $10 for RBoy’s code to integrate Foscam to ST. Seems it would be easy to setup event based triggers when the D-Bell is pushed to also “capture a picture” and send it with a push notification to you. Someday when STV2 comes out and video streaming is available, you’d have it all within the ST’s App.

Any thoughts on the feasibility of this type of solution?

I’m leaning towards getting a Foscam now and waiting for the Aeon Doorbell.

3 Likes