SmartThings Community

Ring security questions

Unless the lock is linked through a hub of some sort it can only be connected and controlled by one device. I currently have mine linked to the ring hub and am able to have the doors auto lock using an integration between Ring, ST, and Alexa. No direct path yet.

I have had great luck with your deployment!!! Working great. Only question I have is can the system read When ring goes into alarm? I want some ST automation If intrusion or smoke/co is detected.

Just to clarify. Do you want ST automation if Ring detect intrusion or smoke/co ?

If so, current code doesn’t support for smoke alarm/co as I don’t have the device types. If you can share the meta data api response, I can add those. For Ring Intrusion to ST, you can trigger that using WebCORE.

Yes. So basically if ring goes into alarm (intrusion, smoke, or CO) it would tell ST, then I can run an automation, like turn on all lights, turn off the smart plug running my pellet stove etc.

How would I share the meta data API with you?

Hi Cory, thanks for the reply! I’m somewhat inexperienced in this area, could you explain what you mean about how yours is set up? I did end up buying the Z-Wave Kwikset 910 and have it paired to my SmartThings hub, but as you pointed out, I can’t have it simultaneously paired with my Ring alarm hub. Are you saying you have a workaround that allows you to use it with both?

So long work around…hoping for an official integration at some point…Alexa is able to see and lock the doors through direct integration with Ring.

I had to create a routine in Alexa…I call it “good bye.” When I say “alexa goodbye” it will change the alarm state to away and lock the doors. It also triggers away mode in ST so that it does some additional automation (lights, thermostat etc.).

So far I haven’t been able to have ST tell alexa to do anything. So I can’t get the doors to lock unless i’m using Alexa to run the goodbye routine.

Got it, that will work for now! Thanks for the idea.

CTMaineah

[Cory LaFountaine](https://community.smartthings.com/u/ctmaineah)

April 12

Yes. So basically if ring goes into alarm (intrusion, smoke, or CO) it would tell ST, then I can run an automation, like turn on all lights, turn off the smart plug running my pellet stove etc.

How would I share the meta data API with you?

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

asishrs

[Asish ](https://community.smartthings.com/u/asishrs)

April 12

Just to clarify. Do you want ST automation if Ring detect intrusion or smoke/co ? If so, current code doesn’t support for smoke alarm/co as I don’t have the device types. If you can share the meta data api response, I can add those. For Ring Intrusion to ST, you can trigger that using WebCORE.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

How are you able to arm the Ring Alarm using an Alexa routine? I don’t see that action in Alexa routine.

You can arm the Ring on Alexa simply by saying “Alexa, please arm Ring in Away mode”. If you have the Ring skill enabled for the Ring alarm.

If you want other devices or scenes to activate when you say this command, create a Routine that is activated by voice and use the same phrase. Just type it in. Choose the action when Alexa hears this command.

Thanks. I’m going to try this out. I have a Goodnight routine where I say “Alexa, Goodnight” and that controls all my ST linked devices (e.g. turn off all the lights). I didn’t see a way to arm Ring Alarm in that routine so I’ve been saying a second command “Alexa, arm home” to turn on Ring Alarm.

Actually, I’m sorry to say, this doesn’t work. ST won’t let Alexa go into “Goodbye” routine. I get a message from ST saying Alexa doesn’t have access.

But, there is a workaround. Alexa can receive consecutive commands like “turn on living rm light and turn on lamp.

So, I tested this command. “Alexa, turn on Ring in away mode and turn on front lamp”

This works, and in theory in ST I can assign a switch to “Goodbye” routine so when the switch is activated, “Goodbye” routine will activate and arm ST.

Therefore, it might be possible to create a virtual switch (call it “away light”) to assign to the “Goodbye” routine in ST. Link that “switch” to Alexa. Instead of making a routine in Alexa, just say the command “Turn on Ring in Away mode and turn on “away light”

Make the names whatever you want. I haven’t tested this with a virtual switch but it seems feasible. Please post here if it ends up working.

I am lost where it comes to the TEST section - can you elaborate on what I have to do there?

I also do not have a Mac so how can I get the location id and ZID???

You have couple of options here.

1. Use a REST API testing tool like https://www.getpostman.com/
  2. Use a plugin with your chrome browser like https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/advanced-rest-client/hgmloofddffdnphfgcellkdfbfbjeloo?hl=en-US

For postman, you can refer below screenshots!

I tried using the chrome extension and was given the missing authentication Token message.

Wasn’t sure how to use postman either lol

Was AWS token present on the request?

For using postman, you need to install postman on your computer and open similar to any other application.

Regards,
Asish

I was able to download and get postman to work but I am getting a missing authentication token message ??

Pretty sure I followed every step to a T.

David

You have to use the authentication token from AWS

Yes I have it inputted there.

I will start over in AWS and try it again this week just haven’t had time!

David Mina

I have First Alert Smoke/CO detectors added to my Ring Alarm, How do I get the meta data api response?