Requesting EDGE driver to accumulate time (see post #11 for edge driver)

I’ve also noticed that the dashboard can be slow to update. Definitely have seen the same thing with the units taking a while to change, but it eventually will. Same with the switch state. I think after you run it for a bit and use your app, things should start getting properly updated.

Reset will not stop the timer, just reset the value to 0.

Regarding decimal points or more specific time formats. I did think about that, but that gets much more complex for a few reasons, so for now I’ve gone with integer fields. My logic was that you would just choose the lowest granularity you needed (seconds, minutes, etc.). How would an automation routine make use of a time format string?

Oh, it’s beautiful… Not finding it lacking anything for myself.

Floating an idea, for Mooch’s desires, at risk of taking up more space.

I suppose the duration could be converted to an additional desired time format for display/report purposes. Of course that’s easy for me to suggest, but making it happen, of course I don’t know.

I can probably live with the duration as-is. I think ‘minutes’ is the appropriate unit for my use case; gives enough granularity for what I’m trying to monitor.

I long for the day Routines will allow me to take that value and spit it out in a notification. Or send it to another device and manipulate it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yep, I’ll admit it took me a while to work out seconds to hours on a calculator, just a few days ago. I guess minutes is a little easier, though…

I’m really amazed at what @TAustin has accomplished in such a short time.

1 Like

I remember when Edge drivers were introduced and it didn’t take long before he got first of his drivers out to us to test. Especially virtual devices have been game changers. Just like this counter. One device, full of different features.

3 Likes

I have been expermenting with you counter. It is a very nice device.

The only thing I noticed was that the switch icon on the device tile and detail page stays in the active state (colored) even when the counter is off.

I am using an Android 11 phone.

Yes I see that. The duration value doesn’t trigger the active/inactive state. I’ll need to figure out a way to do it.

I’ve not noticed any real problems (other than the tile status, already mentioned), but, just to offer some quick feedback.

The duration display does, apparently, add a second or two every now and again, but I think that has more to do with the refresh, and not inaccuracies. In any case, accurate enough.

All and all, I feel a little like the dog that caught the mailman… Now I have to figure out what to do.

Many Thanks!

2 Likes

Let’s keep an eye on that. I suspect that it can happen when there is a small delay in hub execution, just as the duration is between seconds.

Thank you for the feedback.

1 Like

I pushed out a quick driver update so you all can see what happens when I change the dashboard display so that the switch icon changes correctly when the switch is on vs. off. It’s a huge tile now, but that seems to happen when you add a second state to show such as the duration value.

If you use device Settings to change the dashboard option to ‘count’, it goes back to its small size since I’m not showing 2 states.

Another option I could do is show both the duration AND the count plus their respective action controls on the big tile, then eliminate the settings option for choosing between duration and count on the dashboard.

Let me know your thoughts and preferences.

Interestingly my device accumulated 1258 minutes at 5:32pm (est) today without ever being turned on.

Perhaps a function of your update? It’s still showing the old tile currently.

I’ll see if I can get it to update, not sure if I need to delete reinstall maybe hub reboot? But not sure if I noticed the duration displaying on the dashboard before, maybe it was there… my eyes are not so great.

Still observing the added seconds. Seems like nothing is actually being added, but it’s displaying the actual total seconds when display is updating on an off beat, rather than scores of 10 (which I’ve had update frequency set to). Pausing and restarting gives a good idea of what’s happening.

Haven’t tried minutes and so on, yet.

Don’t forget you can swipe down on the device Controls screen to force a refresh of the latest duration value (in between auto refreshes).

1 Like

well, what ya know!

cool

** maybe you are tweaking it, getting some storm cloud icons at the moment, but I was swiping the duration display several times rapidly

I’m on the current version now, seeing the larger dashboard tile, when duration is set to be there.

But seeing the some glitchiness when using the swipe down to update display within device controls (clouds popping up)

Maybe someone else can observe the same.

I’m seeing two problems at the moment:

1. The dashboard values aren’t getting updated (SmartThings app issue)
  2. There is a bug in the duration value computation when turning back on from being paused. There is something wrong in the code I need to fix. Having the units set to hours, letting it run for a few, then turn off, waiting a minute, then turning back on and you get a big negative number!

Well, this morning, at least the swipe-down duration display update/refresh isn’t causing any issue, although I did receive Android app update overnight.

Will continue testing today and this evening.

**Seeing some label/name issues, that others were describing with Apple app. Apparently have made itheir way to Android.

Let us know if you make some changes that you feel is addressing this.

Seconds,at least seem to match up with another stopwatch. Minimal difference, which is likely accounted for by not being perfectly synchronous with pausing and restarting the stopwatch.

Anyway, I’ll wait on doing minutes, but the overall performance in general appears to be better with latest Android app version.

After some investigation into this last night I discovered my driver was receiving duplicate events from the platform and this was the cause of the negative numbers (two switch ONs in a row screwed up some logic). I’ve experienced this issue from time to time with various drivers and have reported it.

1 Like

Thanks @TAustin I can live with the larger icon but it will be the only one I Have this way. I think I understand the constraint you face. Honestly, maybe having both the count and duration would be a good option since it has to be so large?

I didn’t get a random accumulation of time yet today.