[RELEASE] Text to Alexa, "Tell me a joke","did Chelsea win?" or any question

Again, I am open to anyone wanting to collaborate on something that will give this functionality…I will do the following:

• Write the wiki article
  • Create the REST API structure that outputs results of requests
  • Host and pay for the Lamda AWS account (haha…it is free)

I would need someone write the ASK skill.

Any takers?

1 Like

Yup… You’re just bitchin! :smirk:
Gotta be happy if someone writes the skill for this!!

Yes… These have to start with Community initiatives and if we’re very lucky, SmartThings may eventually assign someone to figure out how to merge this into the official Alexa Smart Home integration.

This is exactly what I was looking for, please confirm how to install the app. I only see code on the github link, how should I install it on the Smart phone?

How can I find my Alexa Access API Key so that I can interact with my Echo profile (skills/connected devices)?

Hi @thatsjt, This service does not need Echo information, just a text to ask alexa, it is not a Echo extension, just a way to get answers from Alexa

If you want to control the house with an android phone you can use poor man’s echo, it allows you to control the house and send the Alexa answers to speakers, you must to use the firefox browser to send the command but if you have a root android you can use many others ways to send the commands.

For anyone interested in how the Alexa works (block diagram) here is a place to look: https://developer.amazon.com/public/solutions/alexa/alexa-skills-kit/overviews/understanding-the-smart-home-skill-api

Notice the one way arrows…Alexa by design doesn’t allow for unsolicited feedback…you much initiate action to get a response. That is not to say that our idea of feedback from ST devices is invalid…it would work with the proper skill…you would just need to ask the question of Alexa…

I understand how the service works in its current state. Currently, this just gives us a general Echo to interact with. I’m asking if it is possible to put in an API key so that we can use our custom Echo profiles if we already have an Echo at home so that we can use installed skills & connected devices.

Hi @thatsjt, if you have your Echo key I think its possible, but I dont known how to get a key from real echo device, If you known how to get it, share the info , and I try to update the app.

I suppose it will have to be OAuth. I know that when you login to the Roger app (ios/android), or use this app https://alexaweb.herokuapp.com /// here’s the github /// it shows up as Alexa devices on the Settings page of http://alexa.amazon.com.

Hi, This project looks great , but it does not access to Echo, just to a developer alexa profile, basically its the same than text to alexa, but text to alexa does not need to open a developer account.

The first idea, was to allow the alexa key to access a custom account, but its easier to use a generic account.

If you need to control your house I suggest no to share your alexa account, on those needs I made the app Poor Man´s Echo (Alexa Connect) , the app can get audio commands from an adroid with google now and send the commands to SmartThings without share your password with third party, but it have this text to alexa to send your question plus control the house.

in short
control house (its private you have your keys)
alexa answers ( no needs keys because use a generic account)

The easy way to use poor man’s echo its with firefox, but you need to press 2 buttons to action the command,
The better way its with tasker and autovoice, you just need to tell ok google and your command, but needs to buy tasker an autovoice and config. the good news its you dont need to program each device, just to select in alexa connect what you want to control,

I see, I just think it would be great to be able to get Alexa responses relayed to my Smartthings speakers based on my Alexa profile that includes my installed skills. It seems to be possible, I just don’t know how to get my access key. Thanks anyway.

I would really like for one day to use the Good Night Ubi script and replace Ubi with Alexa.
Currently theUbi does have a skill in Alexa that will let me do the repeat have me trick or make a pho-wiki response. I just cannot figure out how to trick out the Good Night Ubi script.

Hey Terry… I know you’re doing this now right? Lol

Hi @thatsjt, if you have your Echo key I think its possible, but I dont known how to get a key from real echo device, If you known how to get it, share the info , and I try to update the app.

Hi ule, did you work out how to do this? Im trying to link the smartapp to my alexa account but can’t see how you would do it.

thanks

I know this is an old thread, and this question isn’t entirely on topic, but is anyone aware of a way to send a command to Alexa? For example, can a scene/routine be setup to start playing one of my Pandora stations on a specific Echo in my house (along with setting lights and other devices to desired values) entirely from Smartthings (i.e., I don’t have to talk to Alexa)?

I ask because I figured out a way to do just that using only an old android phone and a circuit that costs about $1 and 30 minutes to build (and no, it doesn’t require putting the phone next to an Echo and having to hear LANnouncer creepily talk out loud to it). I’m willing to document it in an Instructable or something similar, but only want to spend the effort if it would benefit a lot of people here.

If you’re interested, just like this post or send me a private message.

1 Like

Hi, I have tried to control a real alexa device from software device and it´s not possible to control it, at least no, with my virtual device.

Will be nice to know the way you control the alexa.

1 Like