[Release] [Closed] Google Assistant Relay V1 - Google Home Audio Notifications!

Its a centos box running 4 node servers (assistant relay, google cast, alarm relay, and nst local streaming)

it seems like the only two that are clashing are assistant relay and the alarm server, they run fine on the centos box but the hub isn’t sending the right messages to the right smartapps

I think its because the messages are coming from the same mac address? Thoughts?

Side question why is the smartapp looking for lanmessages post ssdp setup?

It may not be (though I haven’t checked the code to confirm), it could just be the last device you created. However it may receive confirmation messages.

Try changing the device id for assistant relay to something like assistantrelay and see if it breaks… It might break, in which case it might need some extra code to deal with situations when it doesn’t have useful information as its device ID.

Do you mean the device network id?

so its a vm so i added another virtual NIC new mac and ip then bound the assistant relay node server to that new address and let the others on the original to no avail, it still gets all the messages
i also tried setting a new unique uuid on the ssdp server but it wont add it if i change it from the default :frowning:

You probably need to give it a fair while to update, I wouldnt expect an instant change as I highly doubt ST actively listens to the messages very often. Perhaps even do a restart of ST.

If it is operating through a separate VM with a different virtual MAC (and you have entered this different MAC into the ST Device Network ID) then I cant see why it would possibly get confused… Though you should check with your VM system, whether the virtual MAC is used external to the PC, or whether it is only valid between different VMs.

I’m the new guy to ST. I am just getting started with home automation since I bought my new house in December. I have had ST for a month & I have been playing around with webcore for a week. I am learning as I go. I would like to incorporate this into webcore but obviously need to get it working (and understand what I am asking it to do) before I can.

I am having trouble getting my Google Home to speak. I have the relay up and running on a headless Linux Mint. I thought I had everything set correctly but I guess not. My commands look as if they are being sent but no audio for Google Home.

Am I missing something? Seems like I may not have enabled something on the Google side. It says the command was executed but it did not go through to the Google Home.
See my test below:

curl -X POST http://192.168.2.132:3000/customBroadcast?txt=hello+world
{"message":"Custom broadcast command executed","command":"broadcast hello world"

I am also running LANnouncer & BigTalker on my ST. Not sure if that could be the problem.

Any help would be appreciated or even a push in the right direction. Thanks in advance!

I’ll leave it to the experts to advise on your POST command.

When you enabled the relay, I assume your GH announced that it was up and running?

If so, have you tried installing the SmartApp and DTH that Greg provided for this service (see the OP) and then seeing if using that approach in webCore works? Once you’ve installed the SmartApp & DTH, you can use a simple text value w/the customBroadcast action in webCore.

I don’t get the initial announcement. I’m sure it’s something in the Google steps.

I’m able to get the server up and running (test messages sent via post command to the IP work just fine). However I can’t get the smartapp to discover the server. Anyone know a fix? I know the IP address of the server, can I hard code this in?

2 Likes

@Apexdestroyer13 - Make sure you have your client secret file in the right spot, and you’ve edited the config file as described in the setup instructions.

This may be a dumb idea, but maybe if you started the device search as the relay was coming online that would “goose” the discovery process. Thinking you could stop the relay, start the discovery process w/the relay disabled, and then start the relay and see if that helps. Thinking it may be like flipping the switch on a smart switch when your adding a new one to ST.

Are you testing the post commands from a different machine? Have you allowed tcp port 3000 through the firewall?

Maybe I’m misunderstanding your reply, but he said the POST announcements were working, why would he need to change port settings?

He could have performed a wget from the localhost avoiding the firewall. Hence asking if he tested it from another machine on the network.

1 Like

HAHAHA :rofl:
Yeerrs, I forgot to open the stupid port!
Thats usually how it goes for me. I get so caught up in learning about the stuff I don’t already know that I always forget the most basic little thing.

Got it working now! Thanks!

1 Like

@Apexdestroyer13

Yeah I only thought it might be the firewall from my own experience of forgetting to open it. :blush:

I’m pleased it’s working!

1 Like

Well DOH to me… :slight_smile: You solved it, and as always it’s the simple things that we miss. Recent conversation w/my wife:

Her: "Are you the one who filled up the dog’s water bowl?"
Me: "Of course."
Her: "It’s sitting on the kitchen table. Don’t you think it would be easier for them if you put the water bowl back on the floor after filling it?"
Me: “DOH!”

:slight_smile:

1 Like

I wasn’t testing it that way originally, however I am now. It still works from another machine. I’m at a loss.

Tried this too…no luck. Thank you for the idea!

Are you sure your server and phone are on the same wifi network and your not using your carriers data network? Can you try to load an app on your phone to see if you can ping the address of your server? I personally use Fing for stuff like that.