[Release] [Closed] Google Assistant Relay V1 - Google Home Audio Notifications!

LOL…zing! :smiley:

Thank goodness the wife is in the garage obsessing over some shelves she’s staining…busy time for me.

Only problem w/that cast service is that I have to leave another device (the device connected to the chromecast) on all the time, right?

Use the custom command to send whatever you want to the assistant. A lot isn’t supported by the SDK though like music playing etc. Nothing I can do about that, only option is it use one of the Chromecast work arounds

Yeah, but for notifications, your Google Homes are cast targets too. They’re on anyways! The drawback here is that there’s no reliable way to resume anything if something was already playing. Also, it’s not using the GA TTS, but rather the ST TTS which doesn’t sound quite as nice.

Ah, thanks, didn’t think about the GH’s as I am relying on @ghesp/Greg’s relay full time now!
(And yes, paid the “pre-release tax” updating my pistons, but only took me about 10 minutes. :smiley:

@ghesp

Just wanted to let you know that this is awesome! I’ve installed NodeJS on a Windows Server after trying to install on a Synology NAS and getting make errors (It’s not a fully fledged linux OS after all) and it worked first time.

My only question is whether the first broadcast letting me know that the relay is functional can be disabled? Ideally via the command line. These Windows Servers have to reboot monthly to apply updates, which is typically at 3am My wife wont be amused by been woken up by the broadcast :smile:

Thanks for work you’ve done so far!

I can probably build it in, however if you look.at the index.js file, you will see down the bottom of the file the command that triggers the initial broadcast.

Just comment it out :slight_smile:

I skimmed through it earlier and missed that. That’s easy enough. Thanks!

Has anyone got this running on Docker yet? :slight_smile:

So I do not need to have a Linux box to use this? I can get it running on my already running Windows server?

@JumpMaster has it on their windows server…just four posts up the thread here. :slight_smile:

@hmin03 - I finally got my pm2 up and running and it is so nice to have the service just pop up automatically when I reboot and to be able to use pm2 list (to view the status). Thanks for mentioning this.

One thing I’m noticing when I installed pm2 using the -g parameter - I still had to add an export path statement pointing to the pm2 install folder to get the command to run - otherwise I get the annoying not found result. I ran the install form my home folder on my Pi.

Is this a common issue w/the -g command not being 100% reliable, or ?

Did it install into /usr/bin?

What’s the result of…

which pm2

It should point to the installation directory. If not, I’m not sure what was different when you installed… You can probably just symlink to /usr/bin as a shortcut…

It ended up here (from which pm2, and where I found it when I went exploring):

/opt/nodejs/lib/node_modules/pm2/bin/pm2

Of course, always possible I screwed something up, but I know that I ran the install w/the -g parameter.

did you sudo the npm install?

Good question - probably not, I ran this from a guide I found:

npm install pm2@latest -g

Clearly I need to do more reading about when to sudo and when not to sudo…I assumed that the install process would let me know if I needed sudo if I didn’t use it.

actually, you weren’t supposed to sudo that so you’re good there.

try creating a symbolic link to your /usr/bin directory like this:

sudo ln -s /opt/nodejs/lib/node_modules/pm2/bin/pm2 /usr/bin/pm2

Good - so I’m (accidentally) not a doofus this time. :slight_smile:

I already updated my path statements in .bashrc so that it would stick after a reboot…but a symbolic link is a better way to go?

I’m searching for an article w/a good explanation of when to sudo and when not to, if you have an example of such would appreciate a pointer. :smiley:

ha, I wouldn’t lean on me to be your linux expert. :scream: I know enough to get me out of a bind (with a generous helping of Google-fu).

I like to lean on this guide when I’m unsure of using sudo…

1 Like

Can you only have one smartapp consuming lan messages at a time? i have
redloro’s Alarm server sending messages back to the hub that the assistant relay is grabbing

if i remove the assistant smartapp they start going back to the alarm server smartapp

Are they running on the same server/device? Normally you can only add a device once to ST, and if the device needs to receive messages then you need the Device ID to be correct sadly…