SmartThings Community

[RELEASE CANDIDATE] CoRE (Community's own Rule Engine)

smartapp_misc
core

(might be my fake name?) #530

Can someone tell me when the latest CoRE update was put out? I think it’s 11-21-16. Is this correct? Is there a link that keeps the latest versions listed for us ?

Thanks!

(Bob) #531

Here is the github link for the code.

New to the forum, SmartThings, etc. I’ve embraced the smart lights smart app and I need some more complex automations than that app allows. All my reading points to CoRE for the solution. I don’t have a background in coding and am unsure of the level of expertise required to effectively use CoRE. I’ve tried loading it through Github and I must be missing something or a few things​:joy::thinking:. My question is if I’d be better off waiting until CoRE capabilities are more readily accessible through SmartThings or should I just keep trying to figure out CoRE? For instance one automation I’d like to do is: if motion triggers a light have it stay on for 5 minutes. If the switch triggers the light have it stay on for 15 minutes. Currently with smart lights I have to set separate time parameters for those rules so they don’t overlap or negate one another. Would this automation be easily done through CoRE? Thank you and please forgive me for my ignorance in this subject. I’m an eager learner though!!

(Jeff Pollock) #533

From one ‘rookie’ to another… I carved out 30min a few days ago to get CoRE working and it worked as advertised.

My suggestion would be to just give it a try. Assuming you already have SmartThings, it would take 30-60min to work your way through the installation instructions (you have to build CoRE into your ST IDE) and once you do that, your phone Application will have a “SmartApp” for building the rules.

Personally I think the various kinds of Logic included would be more than enough for what you described… you’d have 2 different rules, (1) motion triggered, and (2) switch triggered, then just associate your desired action + duration and you ought to be able to do what you want.

if you’re using ST anyway, you may as well also try CoRE.

Thanks a lot! I appreciate your advice and experience.

(Jason "The Enabler" as deemed so by @Smart) #535

definitely give CoRE a shot… It’s intimidating but once you wrap your mind around it, it’s limitless…

Do lots of searches and ask a ton of questions… We’re here to help, guide, and provide examples.

Welcome to ST and the “Addiction”

Also, even though this thread is over 5000 posts… do a search in the thread… you’ll find a ton of invaluable information there…

What you’re looking to do is basic and easily done in CoRE… it won’t be at first, until you learn it some, but the App is more than capable of handling that in a single rule (piston) instance.

Thanks so much for reaching out to me! Yes I can definitely see this is an awesome forum and supportive community! Here’s to learning!!!

Clark

(Justin) #537

Question: Does ‘Transition to Color’ work with Hue Bulbs. I ask because I setup a piston to turn on lights, wait a few seconds and then transition to color over 30 seconds and nothing happens? Any ideas?

(Jeff Johnson) #538

I get weird things happening with the hue lights and CoRE… Fade over a period of time doesn’t seem to quite work right either. (sorry to butt in :stuck_out_tongue: )

(Justin) #539

Good to know… don’t know whether it is my piston or whether it is the device.

(Sam) #540

Any option how to do, that is Garage Door (multi purpose sensor) stays open for x minutes close the mud room door (z-wave lock)?

TIA.

(Ron Talley) #541

Thanks! I am at 48 pistons and things have alien down dramatically. Good to know there is hope.

(Bob) #542

It has been said in another thread that the more pistons you have, the slower CoRE runs.
That’s why some people, including me, have multiple instances of CoRE.
To do this change line 59 (I think) from true to false.
Here is what I have done.
I have 11.

Any performance issue with ST overall using this method? Seems like the more SmartApps you have running, the less happy the system would be.

(Bob) #544

I’m not getting any issues with any of my pistons/automations.
The up side is that I can open CoRE quickly and amend them quickly.
Before I did this one particularly big piston would take a minute to open.

Lighting Control Limitations
(Mike Downey) #545

I am having issues with date and time conditions. Every time I add this condition, I t wont let me change the attribute… I click on capability, then “date & time” then comparison, then “is after” and then I get kicked back to a blank screen that just says “condition #3” with no data entry… if I go back, then it wont let me edit this condition at all and I have to delete the entire piston to recover.

Is this a known bug?

(Chris) #546

I have 5 installations and have noticed no Ill effects everything runs as it should.

I am wondering if anyone has seen this and if it’s a bug. I was working with one of my latching pistons and decided to add a time restriction on the but if action. Inside the smart app it shows only run between 11:30 pm and 6:30 am but then when I look at in the dashboard it shows the time restriction of 5:30 am to 12:30 pm. Not sure which one to believe.

Check computer or emulator time.

(Mike Downey) #549

looks like the time zone was blank in the API. After reteaching the home location, it picked up the correct time zone and now it is working.