Recommend smart color lights

BR is BR whether it’s smart or not, so I’m not quite sure I understand your question.

yes they are

BTW, we should also mention that many Wi-Fi routers have a limit on the number of devices that can be attached to them and some people do hit this limit when they are using a lot of Wi-Fi bulbs. There’s no comparable limit for zigbee bulbs.

Thanks jd. The br30 is snapped for recess lifting. I have read about issues with routers hitting a limit with multiple WiFi enabled devices such as light bulbs. I did not know there were zigbee enables bulbs.

The most popular smart bulbs right now by sales are zigbee , including Phillips hue, GE Link, Cree Connected, and Sylvania Lightify.

If I went with the Sylvania recessed lights that you mentioned above, they are zigbee enabled? If they are then I think they might be a better choice.

Yes, those are zigbee.

I’m probably better off putting the Sylvania lights in I guess. They are cheaper, but if I can’t put them in I’ll have my contractor do it when he puts the switches in.

Heads up - Just making sure you realize that all Smart Bulbs are really designed to have power ON at all times…

Adding a traditional light switch to a SmartBulb circuit introduces a whole new level of complexity, as the bulbs will lose their connection to the hub. Upon power on, they will have to reestablish this connection to the Zigbee mesh network.

Something else to consider…

I’m putting the ge switches in so all should be fine. Thank you.

So, you’re putting in GE Z-Wave switches that will simply be powered, but not actually switch any load, correct? The bulbs will be hard-wired to have power all of the time, correct? Then you’re planning on using the Smart Lighting app to link the GE Z-Wave switch to the SmartBulbs to turn them on and off via the ST Hub?

This will work pretty well, but you will be at the mercy of the ST Hub and possibly your home internet connection and ST Cloud infrastructure to make this work. For some, that is fine and acceptable. For others, they want 100% reliable local control.

Just making sure you’re aware of the limitations and complexities. Most users find a smart switch that controls dumb bulbs the most reliable solution, but obviously that doesn’t help if you really want color bulbs.

1 Like

I’m liking the color bulbs. For now it will be just for my living room. Btw…I use the st app for my switches. Is there an app also?

@JDRoberts can u give me the Amazon link for the correct Sylvania light please.

@JDRoberts…are these the ones? I need 4 for the living room.

https://www.amazon.com/Sylvania-Lightify-Smart-2700-6500K-Color/dp/B01N0QHW8O/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1506431471&sr=8-7&keywords=sylvania+color+led+lamp

I also found this one…looks like its a little more money though.
https://www.amazon.com/SYLVANIA-Smart-Starter-Kit-Equivalent/dp/B01HF2CPO4/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1506432142&sr=8-18&keywords=sylvania+smart+led+lamp

If these are good replacements, i can easily put this type of bulb
https://www.amazon.com/Sylvania-Osram-Lightify-Smart-White/dp/B01N6GI17W/ref=sr_1_22?ie=UTF8&qid=1506432236&sr=8-22&keywords=sylvania+smart+led+lamp

You don’t need the Sylvania Gateway, so don’t pay any extra to get that included in the package. You will be using the smartthings hub instead of the Sylvania Gateway to control the lights.

This is the one that is officially supported. Note the model number.

If you would rather get the BR30 bulbs, get the bulbs. :sunglasses: The only real difference is Aesthetics: the RT5 model has the included trim ring so you don’t see the individual bulb.

That’s what I’m trying to find on Amazon. Is it any of the ones I listed?