Quirky Tripper Support?

There are a few posts that had links to an older version on Github. This link is the one to use:

Thanks for all your hard work Mitch. This seems to be working for me. The only odd part is mine is reporting -16% battery. Thatā€™s negative sixteen percent. I read most of the thread and saw issues with battery levels not reporting at all but it wasnā€™t clear to me if there were issues with levels being reported incorrectly. It doesnā€™t really matter to me too much (what the battery level is) but itā€™d be nice to know before my sensor dies.

Thank you Mitchā€¦ I had to install 2 more trippers and this code worked without all the trouble.

I had trouble finding a good range for battery levels. Mine basically stopped being useful around the 2.3-2.4v range. Missed messages, etc. That was on the original Tripper firmware though and with a fairly marginal ZigBee mesh. Later firmwares increased my battery life by a substantial amount and Iā€™ve strengthened my network quite a bit. I might need to redo the battery scale similar to how ST has theirs now. Itā€™s not quite a linear scale.

Edit: Iā€™ve updated the handler with battery code that might (hopefully) provide a better estimate at battery levels.

I am new here, so how do I get your updated code? I think I have github integration in the ST turned on, and linked to your repo. Can I just pull in the latest code from there?

Update: figured it out!

Is there any way to check the firmware version or update it?

They can be updated by connecting them to a Wink hub. There is no way to update them using ST.

thatā€™s what i didā€¦ I first paired them with a Wink Hub, rebooted my Wink hub to force the update, unpaired and then paired with ST

Hello everybody Iā€™m new to the smartthings community. I have a few quirky Tripper that Iā€™m trying to add to my smartthings but the status is just stuck to open and wonā€™t do anything else. I tried removing the battery put it back and run pairing but nothing. Can someone please help me. Iā€™m using thedevice handler linked above by @mitchp

What is the latest firmware? Hooked one up to a Wink Relay and it says 1.8b00/5.1b21

Iā€™m having issues pairing these Quirky trippers. I currently have 3 of these with no issues whatsoever that I installed a long time ago. Iā€™ve got about another 10 of these that I have had in storage. I decided to go ahead and start to install them, but they wonā€™t pair at all. Iā€™ve tried pairing with an older version of MitchPā€™s code. I then updated the IDE code, and tried to pair with no success. Considering I have a ton of these sensors I would love to get these working. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Thatā€™s the latest code for the trippers

1 Like

You may have to pair them with a wink hub or relay first to update their code. Also try new batteries. The ones included with the trippers are bad and donā€™t provide enough power after a few months in storage.

1 Like

Never mind figured it out after going through the whole thread and went on to create the device handler instead of the smartapp ! Thanks again for all your work.

Hi @mitchp,

Thanks for all your help on creating the custom app and answers on the thread. I tried using the code at https://github.com/mitchpond/SmartThingsPublic/blob/master/devicetypes/mitchpond/quirky-wink-tripper.src/quirky-wink-tripper.groovy and receive the following errror?

No signature of method: script14747682287281365405569.metadata() is applicable for argument types: (script14747682287281365405569$_run_closure1) values: [script14747682287281365405569$_run_closure1@32bffa2e] Possible solutions: getMetadata(), getState(), setState(java.lang.Object), metaClass(groovy.lang.Closure)

Any insights on what I may be doing wrong? I just followed the steps that one would normally follow. I followed same steps to get the DeviceTamperAlarm.groovy added to my apps.

Thanks

Thank you everyone, I bought 2 2 packs at Home Depot about a year ago on clearance and they have been sitting in my closet until today.
I am new to the device handler but you guys make it easy.

Thanks again
Bill

1 Like

@mitchp and @twack
Mitch & Todd, was there an update to your old discussion about battery reporting on Quirky Trippers using Mitchā€™s DTH? Iā€™m trying to expose battery to ActionTles but itā€™s not being reported. IDE shows Current States of only Contact and Tamper. Thanks so much for any help!

I am curious about battery status also. It shows % battery but never a number.

@merrick777 @Cbarth3

So a while ago I found that @mitchpā€™s version only mapped volts up to 2.8 - when a battery was new and had voltage of 2.9 or above it didnā€™t have a percentage mapped to it - hence youā€™d get _ _.

I made changes in the battery mapping to my own version of @mitchp 's excellent Quirky Tripper DTH to add in voltage range of 2.9 to 3.4 . I also tweaked the %values based on own experience and rough testing w/ multimeter.

The raw value is returned as voltage x10 (so 2.9 volts comes back as 29). Percentage results based on my own experience (once itā€™s down to 2.4 volts itā€™s almost gone - so I mapped it to 25% - by 2.1 volts itā€™s losing connection - so I mapped it to 0 - that said my batteries are lasting months and months - even the one on the back door.

Hereā€™s my tweaked version of that section of the DTH.

//Converts the battery level response into a percentage to display in ST
//and creates appropriate message for given level

//AlecM - 8-31 Added mapping values for 34 -29 to map below -since they were valid values - 3 or 2.9 volts were returning null

private getBatteryResult(volts) {
def batteryMap = [34:100, 33:100, 32:100, 31:100, 30:100, 29:95, 28:90, 27:80, 26:75, 25:50, 24:25, 23:20,
22:10, 21:0]
def minVolts = 21
//AlecM 10-2 changed maxvolts to 34 to see what really getting w/ new battery
def maxVolts = 34
def linkText = getLinkText(device)
def result = [name: ā€˜batteryā€™]

if (volts < minVolts) volts = minVolts
else if (volts > maxVolts) volts = maxVolts
result.value = batteryMap[volts]
result.descriptionText = ā€œ${linkText} battery was ${result.value}%ā€œ
log.debug(ā€${linkText} reports battery voltage at ${result.value}%ā€) //added logging for voltage level to help determine actual min voltage from users
return result
}
//////////

Or you can get the whole thing at https://github.com/alecm/SmartThingsADM/blob/master/quirky-wink-tripper.src/quirky-wink-tripper-ADM.groovy

(no - Iā€™m not set up with proper repo update or anything - never quite got around to it).

Hope this is useful! I love my Quirky trippers -

And battery level (in percentage) shows up just fine in my ActionTiles (just set up a new panel).

Alec

3 Likes

@AlecM , THANK YOUUUU! Iā€™m traveling, but canā€™t wait to try this out!

This is fantastic. I have lots of trippers as I am a wink convert. Currently just playing around with some of the items I was not sure about on this platform and still learning.

I edited the device handler and added all of the code from your link. It now shows type as tripper - AlecM. Is there anything else I need to do?